Re: [softrock40] re qrp 200 synthesizer

  • Art
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
      No, this is incorrect.

      In most cases, the front ports are merely connected to the motherboard USB connections directly, so they are full USB 2 ports. But, some of the lower grade computers use an expander chip to get additional ports-these type of port connectors do not meet USB 2.0 specifications. SO, they do not have as much dc current available and the communications rate is slower (USB 1.0).

      My old computer had this type of ports on the front, but the new one has full USB 2.0 ports on the front.

      Regards,

      Art

      The front ports would have the same power as the ones in the back. unless, of course they are not wired.

      73

      On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM, David Nelson <kc2ipx@...> wrote:

      Hi Jim, I had a problem trying to use a usb pen drive on my computer. It would not be reconized

      on one computer but would be reconized on my other computer. I found that I was trying to use the usb ports on the front of the computer and when I hooked up to the ports on the back of the computer it was easily reconized. I believe the front ports must have low voltage so could not reconize the drive. I don't know if this will help or not. Just a thought.   Dave  kc2ipx

        --
        Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)

        6:39 AM

        --
        Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
      • Doug Hall
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
          > Art,
          > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0 USB
          > computers with the front port being 1.0.

          The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
          often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not work
          properly when connected to a USB hub.

          Regards,
          Doug K4DSP
        • Jose Bonanca
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
            AH that yes is right

            73

            On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Doug Hall <k4dsp.doug@...> wrote:

            On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
            > Art,
            > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0 USB
            > computers with the front port being 1.0.

            The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
            often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not work
            properly when connected to a USB hub.

            Regards,
            Doug K4DSP

            --
            Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
              My 2 cents worth
              The majority of assembled "clone" computers have had major poblems
              with front USB ports. It comes down to the poor quality of the cabling
              & connectors. With these it's common for USB devices to not be
              recognised properly or not work well.

              -Steve
              VK7XOR
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Hall" <k4dsp.doug@...> wrote:

              > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
              > > Art,
              > > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0
              USB
              > > computers with the front port being 1.0.
              >
              > The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
              > often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not
              work
              > properly when connected to a USB hub.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Doug K4DSP

            • Jim Miller
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
                the front panel ports are almost exclusively served by cables whereas the
                rear ones are served directly by the motherboard connectors.

                knowing what i do of the usb spec and the tendancy to use the cheapest
                cables possible i avoid the front panel connectors whenever possible.

                jim ab3cv