re qrp 200 synthesizer

  • gm3jsx
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2008
      Thanks Tom,and Rob. for answering my queries on syntesiser board..
      When i first plugged the board in the pc recognized it and i loaded
      the drivers ok,also carried out usb test ok..now the pc does not
      recognize it and puts it in device manager as unknown device.
      was wondering if the tiny45-20 had failed and not getting correct info
      for pc
      thank you both for your help..
      jim gm3jsx.
    • tom_iphi
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2008
        Please try Microsoft's USBView http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838100/en
        It works without drivers. This way you can find out if it's a problem
        of the USB device or some host software problem. Have you tried to
        reboot? Have you tried a different USB outlet? Have you looked for bad
        connections on the board?

        73's Tom DG8SAQ

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "gm3jsx" <gm3jsx@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Tom,and Rob. for answering my queries on syntesiser board..
        > When i first plugged the board in the pc recognized it and i loaded
        > the drivers ok,also carried out usb test ok..now the pc does not
        > recognize it and puts it in device manager as unknown device.
        > was wondering if the tiny45-20 had failed and not getting correct
        info
        > for pc
        > thank you both for your help..
        > jim gm3jsx.

      • David Nelson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008

          Hi Jim, I had a problem trying to use a usb pen drive on my computer. It would not be reconized

          on one computer but would be reconized on my other computer. I found that I was trying to use the usb ports on the front of the computer and when I hooked up to the ports on the back of the computer it was easily reconized. I believe the front ports must have low voltage so could not reconize the drive. I don't know if this will help or not. Just a thought.   Dave  kc2ipx

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
            Hi Dave,
            The front ports would have the same power as the ones in the back. unless, of course they are not wired.

            73

            --
            Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
          • Art
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
              No, this is incorrect.

              In most cases, the front ports are merely connected to the motherboard USB connections directly, so they are full USB 2 ports. But, some of the lower grade computers use an expander chip to get additional ports-these type of port connectors do not meet USB 2.0 specifications. SO, they do not have as much dc current available and the communications rate is slower (USB 1.0).

              My old computer had this type of ports on the front, but the new one has full USB 2.0 ports on the front.

              Regards,

              Art

[...]

              6:39 AM

            • Jose Bonanca

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
                  On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
                  > Art,
                  > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0 USB
                  > computers with the front port being 1.0.

                  The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
                  often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not work
                  properly when connected to a USB hub.

                  Regards,
                  Doug K4DSP
                • Jose Bonanca
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
                    AH that yes is right

                    73

                    On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Doug Hall <k4dsp.doug@...> wrote:

                    On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
                    > Art,
                    > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0 USB
                    > computers with the front port being 1.0.

                    The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
                    often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not work
                    properly when connected to a USB hub.

                    Regards,
                    Doug K4DSP

                    --
                    Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
                      My 2 cents worth
                      The majority of assembled "clone" computers have had major poblems
                      with front USB ports. It comes down to the poor quality of the cabling
                      & connectors. With these it's common for USB devices to not be
                      recognised properly or not work well.

                      -Steve
                      VK7XOR
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Hall" <k4dsp.doug@...> wrote:

                      > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jose Bonanca <jbct1aos@...> wrote:
                      > > Art,
                      > > It may be that DELL has done those mistakes. I never found any 2.0
                      USB
                      > > computers with the front port being 1.0.
                      >
                      > The issue is not that the front ports are USB 1.1, but that they are
                      > often provided via an internal USB hub. And some devices will not
                      work
                      > properly when connected to a USB hub.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Doug K4DSP

                    • Jim Miller
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
                        the front panel ports are almost exclusively served by cables whereas the
                        rear ones are served directly by the motherboard connectors.

                        knowing what i do of the usb spec and the tendancy to use the cheapest
                        cables possible i avoid the front panel connectors whenever possible.

                        jim ab3cv