RE: [softrock40] Re: feeling overwhelmed

  • Cecil Bayona
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
      -----Original Message-----
      From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Steve
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 7:27 AM
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: feeling overwhelmed

      Now lets see. (excuse the rant)
      I bought a Softrock 6.2RXTX20/30 because it looked like a good idea &
      seemed a cheap enough way to try out SDR. My plan if successful was to
      use it for my SSTVcam.
      So I then realised I'd have been better of with the Lite version
      Then I learn it isn't tunable & that 14.230 might not be inside the
      bandwidth
      Then I learn that most laptop sound cards are unsuitable
      Then I learn that most other sound cards are not good enough & I should
      invest lots of $$$ in a good one

      I'm not complaining though & the softrock kits are very professionally
      made & certainly cheap enough. But anyone who thinks that $15-$40 worth
      of softrock kit & a PC will give them a superb & versatile
      receiver/transceiver is going to be disappointed.
      And before someone points out that the Softrock is intended as a way
      to "try out" SDR only, I didn't understand that when I bought one. I
      won't be detered, I will get it to work with a centre freq around
      14.230!

      -Steve
      VK7XOR

      Like anything else in life you need to read information and become familiar
      with a new subject before you jump in otherwise you are going to be in for a
      few surprises. Nothing is new here that is the way things are not just in
      SDR.

      I tried to write a wiki until a member of my site hacked into it and deleted
      it all and several of my sites, unfortunately my backup was worthless in
      restoring the wiki. He is banned and the whole is plugged, but the damage is
      done and I find it very hard to get motivated to do it again.
    • Matt Patterson
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
        Guys,

        With all these different kits coming out I'm confused as to what I need
        and quite frankly don't understand what all of them do. It would be
        nice if we had a FAQ somewhere or maybe even a wiki that we could all
        update and list all the various kits that are available and what each
        kit does and who to contact. Just some thoughts...

        73 Matt
        W5LL
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
          I agree
          I'm in the process of building an RXTX 6.2 (my first SDR) and can see
          that it will probably need a VFO before I can consider it usable.
          Those of us who are just starting out in SDR & want to experiment &
          learn are finding the learning curve very steep. Making it easier to
          put together your first working SDR would help many get started.
          -Steve
          VK7XOR

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt Patterson <mattpatt@...> wrote:

          > Guys,
          >
          > With all these different kits coming out I'm confused as to what I
          need
          > and quite frankly don't understand what all of them do. It would be
          > nice if we had a FAQ somewhere or maybe even a wiki that we could all
          > update and list all the various kits that are available and what each
          > kit does and who to contact. Just some thoughts...
          >
          > 73 Matt
          > W5LL

        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
            Ditto! A nice, dated, overview, summary of the kits and descriptions, as
            well as where to get them would be of great benefit to the newbies and
            those yet to arrive.

            Bruce, K2BET
            -----------

            Steve wrote:
            > I agree
            > I'm in the process of building an RXTX 6.2 (my first SDR) and can see
            > that it will probably need a VFO before I can consider it usable.
            > Those of us who are just starting out in SDR & want to experiment &
            > learn are finding the learning curve very steep. Making it easier to
            > put together your first working SDR would help many get started.
            > -Steve
            > VK7XOR
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Matt Patterson <mattpatt@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Guys,
            >>
            >> With all these different kits coming out I'm confused as to what I
            >>
            > need
            >
            >> and quite frankly don't understand what all of them do. It would be
            >> nice if we had a FAQ somewhere or maybe even a wiki that we could all
            >> update and list all the various kits that are available and what each
            >> kit does and who to contact. Just some thoughts...
            >>
            >> 73 Matt
            >> W5LL

            > http://www.eset.com

          • Stephen M. Murphy
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
              A VFO would make your RXTX 6.2 more flexible, but it's very usable as-is.  For instance, my 30/40m kit, when used with a 24 bit sound card, covers much of the 40m CW band and all of 30M.

              It is easy to get overwhelmed when you read about all of the stuff people are doing and all of the new things that are becoming available, but the beauty of these things is that you can start with the basic kit, then, once you get it built and working, experiment with different hardware (and software) in a building-block fashion.

              73 and have fun!

              Steve N8NM

              Steve wrote:

              I agree
              I'm in the process of building an RXTX 6.2 (my first SDR) and can see
              that it will probably need a VFO before I can consider it usable.
              Those of us who are just starting out in SDR & want to experiment &
              learn are finding the learning curve very steep. Making it easier to
              put together your first working SDR would help many get started.
              -Steve
              VK7XOR

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Matt Patterson <mattpatt@.. .> wrote:

              > Guys,
              >
              > With all these different kits coming out I'm confused as to what I
              need
              > and quite frankly don't understand what all of them do. It would be
              > nice if we had a FAQ somewhere or maybe even a wiki that we could all
              > update and list all the various kits that are available and what each
              > kit does and who to contact. Just some thoughts...
              >
              > 73 Matt
              > W5LL

            • bob bailey
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
                lets see, so far I have built the rxtx V6.2 30/40. a 20/30. both converted over to the xtall module's
                and a light 8.3 with the xtall, and soon to build the rxtx V6.3 and the vfo thingee, I hope.
                also got the delta 44 sound card for the computer.
                also want to build that stand alone sig generator with the Si570 and a dds60 card.

                also I just ordered a DS0-2250 usb scope, hope to get that in a week or two.
                it has the spectrum analyzer in it, good to over 100MHZ.

                I am almost at a point where I can't remember where I am at in construction, with the bitx-20 V3 which was all home brew, and the topper amp for my dc40a transceiver
                I have not even found time to fire up my new MMR40 or the SWL 40+ transceiver yet, been busy building things and experimenting and studying

                I thought retirement was going to be easy.

                bob
                WB7DMX

                Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 10:11 PM
                Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: feeling overwhelmed

                Steve wrote:

                I agree
                I'm in the process of building an RXTX 6.2 (my first SDR) and can see
                that it will probably need a VFO before I can consider it usable.
                Those of us who are just starting out in SDR & want to experiment &
                learn are finding the learning curve very steep. Making it easier to
                put together your first working SDR would help many get started.
                -Steve
                VK7XOR

                --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Matt Patterson <mattpatt@.. .> wrote:

                > Guys,
                >
                > With all these different kits coming out I'm confused as to what I
                need
                > and quite frankly don't understand what all of them do. It would be
                > nice if we had a FAQ somewhere or maybe even a wiki that we could all
                > update and list all the various kits that are available and what each
                > kit does and who to contact. Just some thoughts...
                >
                > 73 Matt
                > W5LL

              • Bryan
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 30, 2008
                  I've seen the need for a good overview or basic manual also, and have
                  been thinking of/planning on writing one once I have my RXTX v6.3 full
                  band kit assembled and working. I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff
                  as well, but that might help. So we'll see if anyone else beats me to
                  it by the time I have my stuff up and running.

                  72,
                  Bryan (AC0MB)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                    From: "Bryan"

                    > I've seen the need for a good overview or basic manual also, and have
                    > been thinking of/planning on writing one

                    This comes up regularly, some attempts have been made, but I don't know how
                    to get beginners to see it.

                    http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm

                    http://www.softrockradio.org/SoftRock

                    http://golddredgervideo.com/wb5rvz/

                    Are some, but be prepared to put some effort in!
                    The simple thing is to be patient, look back in the messages
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/messages
                    for posts from Tony, KB9YIG, the kit supplier. He regularly posts details of
                    what he has and often replies to a beginners first query.
                    A kit from him is all you need to get going. Many things are being developed
                    round the Softrock but that can come later.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008

                      ---- Steve N8NM wrote

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                        It cost me about $40 to "jump in", so it was worth the risk. I've had
                        to spend something more than that on a "good enough" sound card, so I
                        can be sure the computer side of things is up to the challange. After
                        that I'll "wing it" the rest of the way.
                        I'm not much on reading, I prefer hands on.
                        It would be good to see a "sticky" announcement on the group's front
                        page with a title like "beginners start here"
                        -Steve
                        VK7XOR

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Cecil Bayona" <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                        > Like anything else in life you need to read information and become
                        familiar
                        > with a new subject before you jump in otherwise you are going to be
                        in for a
                        > few surprises. Nothing is new here that is the way things are not
                        just in
                        > SDR.
                        >
                        > I tried to write a wiki until a member of my site hacked into it
                        and deleted
                        > it all and several of my sites, unfortunately my backup was
                        worthless in
                        > restoring the wiki. He is banned and the whole is plugged, but the
                        damage is
                        > done and I find it very hard to get motivated to do it again.

                      • cesco12342000
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                          > Then I learn it isn't tunable & that 14.230 might not be inside the
                          > bandwidth

                          It's tunable inside the soundcard range. Getting the right crystal near to
                          your special qrg is your job.

                          > Then I learn that most laptop sound cards are unsuitable

                          Not true.
                          The only requirement is that input is stereo.

                          > Then I learn that most other sound cards are not good enough & I should
                          > invest lots of $$$ in a good one

                          For sstv which needs a high signal level anyway even the cheapest card
                          will do nicely. I did regularly receive d-sstv on 80m with the rx6.1 and
                          the onboard soundcard. The softrock does perform better at this than the
                          ft1000mpv.

                          > So I then realised I'd have been better of with the Lite version

                          yes, reading trough the stuff before ordering has some advantages.
                        • Michael Barak
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                            "Life is not a penis, it is always hard". (Excuse me my language).
                            I am a licensed HAM from 1957. To solve obstacles was always a HAMs life.
                            Using a Computer is paved with obstacles. Backups , good backups, are
                            necessary
                            means to keep those obstacles to a minimum.
                            You'll get over it and write a nice Wiki anew, for your peace of mind
                            and for the benefit
                            of this honorable forrum.
                            Thanks OM Steve
                            73
                            Michael 4X4KF

                            Cecil Bayona wrote:

> [...]
                          • k5nwa
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                              At 09:01 AM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
                              >You'll get over it and write a nice Wiki anew, for your peace of mind
                              >and for the benefit
                              >of this honorable forrum.
                              >Thanks OM Steve
                              >73
                              >Michael 4X4KF

                              Maybe, actually I've been thinking of doing it again, the problem is
                              time, and I'm not lifting a finger until I figure a way to be able to
                              back it up and restore the wiki successfully. There were two backups,
                              one of the Program and init files , and one of the MySQL databases, I
                              think the problem is that the two backups didn't connect to each
                              other properly, you could individually address the pages but they
                              would refuse to link together so one article led to another.

                              I'm a believer in the fun first approach and it was a big battle to
                              decide what to put in, getting illustrations then putting it all
                              together, and I have forgotten the details of what was chosen so it's
                              basically a start from scratch project but unfortunately I have very
                              little free time.

                              Cecil
                              K5NWA
                              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                            • Bryan
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                Why can't/didn't you have a back up on your PC's harddrive?

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                > At 09:01 AM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
                                > >You'll get over it and write a nice Wiki anew, for your peace of
                                mind
                                > >and for the benefit
                                > >of this honorable forrum.
                                > >Thanks OM Steve
                                > >73
                                > >Michael 4X4KF
                                > >

                                > Maybe, actually I've been thinking of doing it again, the problem
                                is
                                > time, and I'm not lifting a finger until I figure a way to be able
                                > back it up and restore the wiki successfully. There were two
                                backups,
                                > one of the Program and init files , and one of the MySQL databases,
                                > think the problem is that the two backups didn't connect to each
                                > other properly, you could individually address the pages but they
                                > would refuse to link together so one article led to another.
                                >
                                > I'm a believer in the fun first approach and it was a big battle to
                                > decide what to put in, getting illustrations then putting it all
                                > together, and I have forgotten the details of what was chosen so
                                it's
                                > basically a start from scratch project but unfortunately I have
                                very
                                > little free time.
                                >

                                > Cecil
                                > K5NWA
                                > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                >
                                > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

                              • Chris Albertson
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                  > Maybe, actually I've been thinking of doing it again, the problem is
                                  > time, and I'm not lifting a finger until I figure a way to be able to
                                  > back it up and restore the wiki successfully.

                                  Why not let some one else do all the work for you?
                                  Anyone (This means ANY of us.) that wants to set up a
                                  Wiki can get free space on http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia

                                  If you want one, don't wait for "some one" to set one up. Just do it.
                                  Ok so the technical issued are solved. The other part is harder.
                                  With Wikis if they are to be self sustaining they have to come out
                                  on day zero with enough good content to make reader want to bookmark
                                  them and come back.

                                  --
                                  =====
                                  Chris Albertson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                    On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Bryan <bryanshq@...> wrote:
                                    > Why can't/didn't you have a back up on your PC's hard drive?

                                    The problem is with the PC's file system. What you need is a "snapshot
                                    in time" but your typical backup software only copies one file at a time and
                                    this takes HOURS on a large disk. Stuff changes while the backup is in progress
                                    You can address this my shutting down the system for several hours a day
                                    but that is not a nice thing to do to a public Wiki.

                                    There are file systems that allow you to take "point in time"
                                    snapshots of a running
                                    production server. But this means some study and reading and learning to use
                                    something new. Solaris' "ZFS" is a good example. It's free

                                    The other way people backup these things is to design the application (the wiki
                                    server software) to store _everything_ inside a relational DBMS. These kinds of
                                    databases allow the user to define what's known as a "transaction".
                                    All commands
                                    done inside a transaction are as if they are done at one "atomic" point in time.

                                    Once you have a DBMS that supports transactions (MySQL may not, but all the
                                    bigger ones do.) you can either dump all of the tables (within a transaction) or
                                    periodically "sync" one DBMS server to a backup server or set of backup servers.
                                    (The later is a common commercial solution because recovery does not require
                                    a lengthy restore operation.)

                                    To use a mechanical anaalogy, let's say you recorded to location of
                                    all the parts
                                    in an engine. You note that a piston is at the top of it's stoke but
                                    then when you
                                    get around to recording the position of the crankshaft it has moved.
                                    So if you try
                                    to re-construct from your notes the parts will not fit. So you need
                                    to stop it from
                                    running wich you may not want to do. Computer scientist solved this problem
                                    decades ago when they invented to concept of a "transaction". this concept has
                                    ben applied to both databases and file systems. So now, anyone can have
                                    "point in time" self consistent backup if they based there system on
                                    one of these
                                    databases or file systems.

                                    =====
                                    Chris Albertson
                                    Redondo Beach, California
                                  • k5nwa
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                      At 12:25 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
                                      >Why can't/didn't you have a back up on your PC's harddrive?

                                      Hmm, I said I did have backups but when restored it would not link
                                      the articles correctly. And you can't test it on your PC because it
                                      requires Apache, PHP V5.2, and MySQL running besides the wiki
                                      software, that would pretty much ruin a PC for use with SDR work.

                                      Eventually I'll have one setup to do that, dedicated for that purpose
                                      because I want to write some web based applications but it's one more
                                      PC and I already have too many. I have an older dual 2GHz G4 Mac that
                                      is so quiet you don't even know it's on and it is extremely reliable,
                                      that would be perfect for the task.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                        At 02:41 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
                                        >Why not let some one else do all the work for you?
                                        >Anyone (This means ANY of us.) that wants to set up a
                                        >Wiki can get free space on http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia
                                        >
                                        >If you want one, don't wait for "some one" to set one up. Just do it.
                                        >Ok so the technical issued are solved. The other part is harder.
                                        >With Wikis if they are to be self sustaining they have to come out
                                        >on day zero with enough good content to make reader want to bookmark
                                        >them and come back.
                                        >
                                        >--
                                        >=====
                                        >Chris Albertson
                                        >Redondo Beach, California

                                        Setting up a wiki is not difficult, the issue was after it was
                                        delete, the backups did not restore a working wiki, that is what I
                                        need to test and make sure that the backups restore correctly before
                                        I invest countless hours in restoring the contents. I found how they
                                        gained access and that is no longer present but you are never 100%
                                        sure that you are secure.

                                        I already have a wiki setup, it only takes a few minutes, the
                                        contents however takes a long time to re-enter, and it this case I
                                        will need to figure out what information is needed, mind you the
                                        second time is much easier. Right now, it's not even secured, I have
                                        not bothered since I have no content.
                                        < http://wiki.softrockradio.org/index.php?title=Main_Page >

                                        With a public wiki I have no control over who has access, and some
                                        have already proven that they will attempt to ruin it if they can get a login.

                                        I have offered many times to give volunteers enhanced access to the
                                        site or wiki but so far no one has stepped up to the plate, so it's
                                        just me, myself and I for a total of three volunteers.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                          At 03:07 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
                                          >On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Bryan <bryanshq@...> wrote:
                                          > > Why can't/didn't you have a back up on your PC's hard drive?
                                          >
                                          >The problem is with the PC's file system. What you need is a "snapshot
                                          >in time" but your typical backup software only copies one file at a time and
                                          >this takes HOURS on a large disk. Stuff changes while the backup is
                                          >in progress
                                          >You can address this my shutting down the system for several hours a day
                                          >but that is not a nice thing to do to a public Wiki.

                                          The "server" is North of San Francisco somewhere, backup of the
                                          Database take less than 2 minutes and can be done while the site is
                                          live, backup of the application takes about 30 minutes (static files)
                                          but there are all sorts of options to the SQL backup and the options
                                          that work with the main site which is also contained in a MySQL
                                          database are apparently not appropriate to properly backup the wiki
                                          database, the links were broken so the backup was useless. Its a time
                                          consuming thing to do the research to find what options are needed
                                          during the backup and then test it and make sure it works before
                                          starting to put the content back. Right now I have very limited free
                                          time available to me.

                                        • ken@w2krh.com
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                            Cecil,

                                            Your comment about needing Apache, PHP and MySQL on your PC is
                                            easily answered by installing XAMPP available from

                                            http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

                                            which has all 3 programs integrated into one easy install.
                                            I use this myself when working on the site I maintain.

                                            If you have any questions please contact me.

                                            73,
                                            Ken
                                            W2KRH

                                            ken at W2krh dot com
                                          • Michael Barak
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jul 31, 2008
                                              Good luck

                                              k5nwa wrote:
                                              At 12:25 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:

                                              Why can't/didn't you have a back up on your PC's harddrive?

                                              Hmm, I said I did have backups but when restored it would not link
                                              the articles correctly. And you can't test it on your PC because it
                                              requires Apache, PHP V5.2, and MySQL running besides the wiki
                                              software, that would pretty much ruin a PC for use with SDR work.

                                              Eventually I'll have one setup to do that, dedicated for that purpose
                                              because I want to write some web based applications but it's one more
                                              PC and I already have too many. I have an older dual 2GHz G4 Mac that
                                              is so quiet you don't even know it's on and it is extremely reliable,
                                              that would be perfect for the task.

                                              Cecil
                                              K5NWA
                                              www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                  mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            • drmail377
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 1, 2008
                                                Try WOS, Webserver on a Stick as a XAMPP alternative?

                                                http://www.chsoftware.net/en/useware/wos/wos.htm