newbie question

  • Gituma Nturibi
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 16, 2006
      I am working on a project for the softrock40 to receive broadcasts in the 1- 30 Mhz range. I already have the softrock 40 kit and a DDS VFO kit. I want to create a program preferrably a simple one to do the demodulation and display the FFT in windows. Something similar to what rocky already does.

      I have downloaded the source code for the PowerSDR but I think It's a bit too complex and I'm having a problem finding the particular modules that I require to start with. S my main question are what source files are needed and what libraries are necessary for creating the demodulator to start with and also for controlling the DDS VFO. Is the source code for Rocky available or are there any similar programs?

      Thanks in advance for your assistance

      Gituma Nturibi
    • Ken N9VV
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 16, 2006
        Yes, Phil Covington, N8VB, has generously provided the
        open source (in C#) for his SoftRock software. This
        includes a spectacular photo-realistic S-Meter designed by
        Beppe IK3VIG.

        http://www.philcovington.com/SDR/files/SharpDSPMiniConsole_Source.zip

        de Ken N9VV

        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 16, 2006
          thanks for that one mate will surely check out - anybody with something in plain old c++?. Where can I find instructions on how to icorporate the dds card to the softrock 40 board?
          Gituma

          On 1/16/06, Ken N9VV <n9vv@...> wrote:
          Yes, Phil Covington, N8VB, has generously provided the
          open source (in C#) for his SoftRock software. This
          includes a spectacular photo-realistic S-Meter designed by
          Beppe IK3VIG.

          http://www.philcovington.com/SDR/files/SharpDSPMiniConsole_Source.zip

          de Ken N9VV

            Is the source code
          > for Rocky available or are there any similar programs?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Tim Gorman
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
            I just built up an 80m softrock lite 80m kit. The sensitivity of the receiver
            seems to be very low. A very strong signal from my signal generator into my
            single conversion receiver is 20db over S9 and barely registers on the
            softrock lite.

            There seems to be a significant loss of signal through T1. I would expect some
            voltage drop due to the winding ratio but not what I am seeing. Is this
            normal or have I messed up winding the transformer?

            tim ab0wr
          • Jose Bonanca
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
              Tim...~
              All softrock kits nee a 50Ohm Antenna.
              But yes you are pointing to the right culprit.It may as well be the transformer.
              Check that.

              As a side information I started to test a new 40/80 unit and it has much better RX than my Kenwood870.

              73 de

              --
              Jose Bonanca  (CT1aos)
            • Tony Parks
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                Hi Tim,

                Please check the connections at T1.  If T1 is not wired correctly the sensitivity of the receiver will be greatly reduced.  The builder's notes give information on the correct wiring of T1 to the circuit board.

                The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a fraction of 1 uV.

                73,
                Tony KB9YIG
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                  Tim,

                  Make sure you have scraped the enamel coating of the
                  wire ends. Also look to see you have solder the wire
                  ends into the correct holes on the board. I know this
                  because of a softrock I purchased from ebay. That unit
                  had the secondary windings soldered to the extra holes
                  on the side of the core position.

                  Take a test lead attached to an antenna and touch each
                  solder connection from the antenna input though the
                  first input stage. You should find a spot where the
                  signal increases.

                  Hope, this helps.

                  Jeff - K9JP

                  --- Tony Parks <raparks@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tim,
                  >
                  > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not
                  > wired correctly the sensitivity of the receiver will
                  > be greatly reduced. The builder's notes give
                  > information on the correct wiring of T1 to the
                  > circuit board.
                  >
                  > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a
                  > fraction of 1 uV.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • scott schoech
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                    Jeff,
                    Sounds like I'm not the only one who has troubles when building.
                    Scott

                    --- Tony Parks <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:

                    > Hi Tim,
                    >
                    > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not
                    > wired correctly the sensitivity of the receiver will
                    > be greatly reduced. The builder's notes give
                    > information on the correct wiring of T1 to the
                    > circuit board.
                    >
                    > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a
                    > fraction of 1 uV.
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Tony KB9YIG

                  • Tim Gorman
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                      The connections are good. The instructions are just the teeniest bit vague.

                      Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and used as
                      the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired back to the one
                      of the "beginning" ends with that connection becoming the center tap?

                      tim ab0wr

                    • Tim Gorman
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                        On Sunday 01 July 2007 16:29, scott schoech wrote:

                        Oh golly, you aren't alone in having to try multiple times to get things
                        right. I've been doing this for over 40years and its an occasion for
                        celebration when it all comes together the first time.

                        As the old going says, you don't learn much from your successes! It's your
                        failures that build character.

                        tim ab0wr

                      • Lyle Koehler, K0LR
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gorman <ab0wr@...> wrote:

                          > Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and
                          > used as the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired
                          > back to the one of the "beginning" ends with that connection
                          > becoming the center tap?

                          Only one wire goes through each of the six circuit board holes. Make
                          sure that you have marked the primary winding with spray paint or
                          something like a "Sharpie" type of indelible marker so that you can
                          distinguish it from the secondary windings. Untwist the ends of the
                          bifilar secondary windings so that the wires are separated, and
                          identify which secondary wires go together with an ohmmeter. Then
                          arrange the 6 wires coming out of the core so that, with the wires
                          pointing down, you have the primary winding on the right, one
                          secondary winding (doesn't matter which one) in the middle, and the
                          other one on the left. All wires coming out of one side of the core
                          must be on the top, and all wires coming out of the other side of the
                          core must be on the bottom. Insert all six wires into their individual
                          holes, making sure that they don't get mixed up, and solder the leads
                          in place. A circuit board trace connects the top of one secondary
                          winding to the bottom of the other secondary to make the center tap.

                          Good luck!

                          Lyle, K0LR
                        • Lonnie Ahlfinger
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007
                            Attached is a photo of a Softrock Light transformer I made, I used a little clear gelled or thickened Acrylic Cement to hold the wires in place, it drys within 10 to 20 seconds. The primary wires I left a little longer, and also marked the primary side with a black dot. The wires were tinned using a soldering iron tip with a Little extra solder on the end, and gently pushing the wire through and working back and forth while adding a little extra solder to use the flux action to peal of and tin the wires, no scraping so the wires are not damaged. The tinning in the pic looks black, from reflections, but is fully tinned and shiny.

                            Lonnie Walker - W6WQ

                          • Roderick Wall
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 1, 2007

                              Hi Tim,

                              When I wound my coils, I made the leads for the bifilar windings shorter and left the leads long for the other single winding. Easy, the ones twisted together are the bifilar windings just cut them shorter.

                              After cleaning the enamel from the magnet wires, I used an ohm meter to ensure the bifilar winding leads were in the correct position (with 3 each leads on side of the Core) before placing them into their correct holes in the PCBoard as shown in the builder's notes. Before soldering, I then checked on the PCBoard for the track that connects the two bifilar windings together at the center point, if the track is not connecting two short leads from the bifilar windings then It is not correct. Solder the leads then trim them.

                              That's how I did it :-),

                              73,

                              Roderick Wall, VK3BKO.

                              The connections are good. The instructions are just the teeniest bit vague.

                              Should one of the ends of the bifilar pair be soldered together and used as
                              the center tap or should the one of the "end" ends be wired back to the one
                              of the "beginning" ends with that connection becoming the center tap?

                              tim ab0wr

                              On Sunday 01 July 2007 16:05, Jeffrey Peters wrote:
                              > Tim,
                              >
                              > Make sure you have scraped the enamel coating of the
                              > wire ends. Also look to see you have solder the wire
                              > ends into the correct holes on the board. I know this
                              > because of a softrock I purchased from ebay. That unit
                              > had the secondary windings soldered to the extra holes
                              > on the side of the core position.
                              >
                              > Take a test lead attached to an antenna and touch each
                              > solder connection from the antenna input though the
                              > first input stage. You should find a spot where the
                              > signal increases.
                              >
                              > Hope, this helps.
                              >
                              > Jeff - K9JP
                              >
                              > --- Tony Parks <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:
                              > > Hi Tim,
                              > >
                              > > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not
                              > > wired correctly the sensitivity of the receiver will
                              > > be greatly reduced. The builder's notes give
                              > > information on the correct wiring of T1 to the
                              > > circuit board.
                              > >
                              > > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a
                              > > fraction of 1 uV.
                              > >
                              > > 73,
                              > > Tony KB9YIG

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            • Tim Gorman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                Good morning, all.

                                Ok, I've redone the transformer. I don't think it is the problem. I still have
                                poor sensitivity.

                                I also noticed that if I tune my rf generator to 3528.6khz I also have an
                                image at 3528.4khz, i.e. 600khz above the center frequency and 600khz below
                                the center frequency. The image is weaker than the main signal (about 6db).
                                Is this normal?

                                I've checked all the clock signals to the various chips and they look ok. I
                                don't know what the output of the QSD and the inputs to the op amps should
                                look like. Has anyone posted a scope trace I can compare to?

                                tim ab0wr

                              • Tony Parks
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                                  Hi Tim,

                                  Bill, KD5TFD, has pictures on his website of measurements on a v6.0  SoftRock RX.  The measurements should also apply to the SoftRock Lite except the overall gain of the SoftRock Lite has been reduced by 14 dB.  Please see:

                                  Have you installed a jumper wire at JP1 between holes 2 and 3, the x8 setting?  Also RF input is connected between ANT IN and RTN for proper operation.

                                  73,
                                  Tony KB9YIG

                                  Ok, I've redone the transformer. I don't think it is the problem. I still have
                                  poor sensitivity.

                                  I also noticed that if I tune my rf generator to 3528.6khz I also have an
                                  image at 3528.4khz, i.e. 600khz above the center frequency and 600khz below
                                  the center frequency. The image is weaker than the main signal (about 6db).
                                  Is this normal?

                                  I've checked all the clock signals to the various chips and they look ok. I
                                  don't know what the output of the QSD and the inputs to the op amps should
                                  look like. Has anyone posted a scope trace I can compare to?

                                  tim ab0wr

                                  On Sunday 01 July 2007 23:33, Roderick Wall wrote:
                                  > Hi Tim,
                                  >
                                  > When I wound my coils, I made the leads for the bifilar windings shorter
                                  > and left the leads long for the other single winding. Easy, the ones
                                  > twisted together are the bifilar windings just cut them shorter.
                                  >
                                  > After cleaning the enamel from the magnet wires, I used an ohm meter to
                                  > ensure the bifilar winding leads were in the correct position (with 3 each
                                  > leads on side of the Core) before placing them into their correct holes in
                                  > the PCBoard as shown in the builder's notes. Before soldering, I then
                                  > checked on the PCBoard for the track that connects the two bifilar windings
                                  > together at the center point, if the track is not connecting two short
                                  > leads from the bifilar windings then It is not correct. Solder the leads
                                  > then trim them.
                                  >
                                  > That's how I did it :-),
                                  >
                                  > 73,
                                  >
                                  > Roderick Wall, VK3BKO.

                                • Tim Gorman
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                    Yep. All jumpers installed. It *does* see RF. It just doesn't have very good
                                    sensitivity. And I am concerned about the image on either side of the center
                                    frequency. That just doesn't sound right.

                                    tim ab0wr

                                  • Tony Parks
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                                      Hi Tim,

                                      Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.

                                      73,
                                      Tony KB9YIG
                                      Yep. All jumpers installed. It *does* see RF. It just doesn't have very good
                                      sensitivity. And I am concerned about the image on either side of the center
                                      frequency. That just doesn't sound right.

                                      tim ab0wr

                                      On Monday 02 July 2007 09:28, Tony Parks wrote:
                                      > Hi Tim,
                                      >
                                      > Bill, KD5TFD, has pictures on his website of measurements on a v6.0
                                      > SoftRock RX. The measurements should also apply to the SoftRock Lite
                                      > except the overall gain of the SoftRock Lite has been reduced by 14 dB.
                                      > Please see:
                                      >
                                      > http://ewjt. com/kd5tfd/ sdr1k-notebook/ sr40/sr6- production/ index.html
                                      >
                                      > Have you installed a jumper wire at JP1 between holes 2 and 3, the x8
                                      > setting? Also RF input is connected between ANT IN and RTN for proper
                                      > operation.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      > Tony KB9YIG

                                    • Tim Gorman
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                        Tony,

                                        They do have, or at least they did.

                                        In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to the
                                        circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to see if
                                        the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my wrist
                                        strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I didn't blow
                                        something.

                                        I'll let you know.

                                        tim ab0wr

                                        On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                                        > Hi Tim,
                                        >
                                        > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of about
                                        > 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                                        >
                                        > 73,
                                        > Tony KB9YIG

                                      • Bruce Rahn
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                          Tony Parks wrote:

                                          > Hi Tim,
                                          >
                                          > Please check the connections at T1. If T1 is not wired correctly the
                                          > sensitivity of the receiver will be greatly reduced. The builder's
                                          > notes give information on the correct wiring of T1 to the circuit board.
                                          >
                                          > The sensitivity of the SoftRock on 80m should be a fraction of 1 uV.
                                          >
                                          > 73,
                                          > Tony KB9YIG

                                          Tony,

                                          Is there a published list of nominal sensitivity values any where?

                                          Thanks!

                                          Bruce, WB9ANQ

                                          --
                                          Bruce Rahn

                                          Wisdom has two parts:
                                          1. having a lot to say; and
                                          2. not saying it!
                                        • Tim Gorman
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                            Ok, I must have had some cockpit problems with the software. Everything seems
                                            to be working as it was.

                                            Is there any reason the secondary winding has to be bifilar wound? It just
                                            looks like a center tapped secondary to me from the schematic. Perhaps I'll
                                            just wind a 12 turn, center tapped secondary and see what happens.

                                            tim ab0wr

                                            On Monday 02 July 2007 16:09, Tim Gorman wrote:
                                            > Tony,
                                            >
                                            > They do have, or at least they did.
                                            >
                                            > In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to
                                            > the circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to
                                            > see if the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my
                                            > wrist strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I
                                            > didn't blow something.
                                            >
                                            > I'll let you know.
                                            >
                                            > tim ab0wr
                                            >
                                            > On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                                            > > Hi Tim,
                                            > >
                                            > > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of
                                            > > about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                                            > >
                                            > > 73,
                                            > > Tony KB9YIG

                                          • Tony Parks
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007

                                              Hi Tim,

                                              It probably is desirable to have the two secondary windings of T1 wound bifilar.

                                              If T1 is mounted correctly the resistance from each secondary hole of the six hole pattern, (four left most holes),  will have a resistance to ground of a little more than 700 ohms and the resistances will be the same.

                                              Wires coming out one side of the core go to the three holes next to the edge of the board.  The wires coming out the other side of the core go to the three inboard holes.  Pari up the leads as to secondary and primary windings with an ohmmeter.  The first secondary winding goes to the two left most holes, one near the edge of the board and one inboard.  The next secondary winding goes to the middle two holes and the primary winding goes to the two right most holes.

                                              Were you able to measure the DC voltage on pins 1 and 7 of U5 with reference to ground?

                                              73,
                                              Tony KB9YIG

                                              Ok, I must have had some cockpit problems with the software. Everything seems
                                              to be working as it was.

                                              Is there any reason the secondary winding has to be bifilar wound? It just
                                              looks like a center tapped secondary to me from the schematic. Perhaps I'll
                                              just wind a 12 turn, center tapped secondary and see what happens.

                                              tim ab0wr

                                              On Monday 02 July 2007 16:09, Tim Gorman wrote:
                                              > Tony,
                                              >
                                              > They do have, or at least they did.
                                              >
                                              > In removing and replacing the T1 twice I seem to have done something to
                                              > the circuit and now I'm getting no output. I'll have to recheck things to
                                              > see if the clocks are working and the voltages are still good. I forgot my
                                              > wrist strap the last time I was soldering the toroid back in. I hope I
                                              > didn't blow something.
                                              >
                                              > I'll let you know.
                                              >
                                              > tim ab0wr
                                              >
                                              > On Monday 02 July 2007 12:06, Tony Parks wrote:
                                              > > Hi Tim,
                                              > >
                                              > > Please check to see that the op-amps of U5 have DC voltage levels of
                                              > > about 2.5 volts on pins 1 and 7 with reference to circuit ground.
                                              > >
                                              > > 73,
                                              > > Tony KB9YIG

                                            • Tim Gorman
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                                Tony,

                                                Thanks for the encouragement. I finally found it.

                                                I rewound T1 as just a center-tapped secondary of 12 windings and VOILA!, it
                                                now works. I don't know what I was doing in phasing those bifilar windings
                                                wrong on the secondary but I could NOT get them right no matter how hard I
                                                tried.

                                                I need to check the balance and make sure it is ok but it looks good on the
                                                spectrum display.

                                                What should an S9 signal read on the Db display on the left side when using
                                                Rocky? It looks to me like an average signal runs about 25-28db. The display
                                                at the bottom shows about -37db for such a signal. Does this sound about
                                                right? Noise shows about a -61db on the display at the bottom of the Rocky
                                                window as well.

                                                Again, thanks for the help. Let me know if my center-tapped winding should
                                                just be considered a stop-gap and if I need to truly use a bifilar winding.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 2, 2007
                                                  Tony,

                                                  We are passing ships in the ether!

                                                  Identifying the primary leads aren't a problem. It seems to be the phasing of
                                                  the secondaries I keep getting wrong.

                                                  I'm going to play with the radio tonite since it's working and will try and
                                                  redo the transformer tomorrow!

                                                  The instructions you have here make sense. I suspect I was shuffling the leads
                                                  trying to make sense of how they should go and was getting the two set up in
                                                  a "bucking" mode instead of in a phased mode.

                                                  Another question on a different subject. Does anyone make SDR software that
                                                  decodes RTTY and Pactor I? I cannot seem to get PowerSDR to run on my Win98SE
                                                  installation (it just keeps hanging when trying to initialize the DSP) and
                                                  the external sound card I ordered for my XP laptop isn't here yet.

                                                  This looks like it is going to work out for me well. I want to run some
                                                  experiments on speech bandwidths versus intelligibility and need an easy way
                                                  to vary bandwidths in the receiver and transmitter. This looks like it just
                                                  the thing! And inexpensive as well!!!

                                                  73,

                                                  tim ab0wr