Re: [softrock40] Source of a simlpe SDR program

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
      At 06:38 AM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
      >I have released the IQTRX source with GPL2 licence.
      >
      >http://iqtrx.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
      >
      >This is not intended as a replacement for Powersdr or KGK-sdr.
      >Since the program is quite simple i was asked to publish the source for
      >instructional use. It also demonstrates the use of the loop.dll to attach
      >programs like multipsk, easypal or fdmdv without using VAC.
      >
      >btw the loop.dll is also GPL2, here:
      >http://code.google.com/p/audioloop/source/browse

      Thanks for the source, there are very few examples of SDR software
      available that are simple enough to follow. I used Tortoise to
      download it fine but the second link was empty, I played with the
      link and finally found a source to loop further up the trunk. What is
      the development system you are using?

      Do you have a web site where you talk about or show a picture of the
      software running?

      If you don't and would like to, I have for years hosted selected
      people for free with their own sub-domain, I have PHP, MYSQL,
      NET.ASP, SVN and other facilities available. The main domain for this
      subject is www.dspradio.org so one could have something like
      myname.dspradio.org, you would have your own FTP account to access
      your sub-domain and update the site.

      Again Thanks.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • cesco12342000
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
        > What is
        > the development system you are using?

        VC7.
        It should also be compilable with the free VC8 from the MS site. double-
        click the .sln project file. There is a .bmp explaining the data-flow in
        the source.

        > Do you have a web site where you talk about or show a picture of the
        > software running?

        You can find the iqtrx.exe (iqfft.exe) in the "examples" dir of the
        loop.dll svn. I dont have any instructions/pictures any more, this is old
        stuff. I will try to upload a recent pic to the "photos" section.

        > www.softrockradio.org

        Tnx for your site. Very useful.
      • alexle188
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 4, 2008
          Thanks for sharing the Source, which is very educational. I can
          confirm that it can be compiled with the free VC++ 2008 Express.

          However, when the executable is run as is (without setting it up for
          my environment), the window with the moving waterfall display seems to
          be working, but there is a "iqtrx has encountered a problem" message.
          I will take some time to study the program and to try to configure it
          to work in my environment (WinXP, SR RxTx 6.2 and SRLX 8.3).

          73's

          Alex 9V1AL

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

          > > What is
          > > the development system you are using?
          >
          > VC7.
          > It should also be compilable with the free VC8 from the MS site. double-
          > click the .sln project file. There is a .bmp explaining the
          data-flow in
          > the source.

        • Vojtech Bubnik
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
            Hi Alex.

            You need to copy loop.dll to the same directory where the iqtrx.exe
            resides.

            73, Vojtech OK1IAK, AB2ZA

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for sharing the Source, which is very educational. I can
            > confirm that it can be compiled with the free VC++ 2008 Express.
            >
            > However, when the executable is run as is (without setting it up for
            > my environment), the window with the moving waterfall display seems to
            > be working, but there is a "iqtrx has encountered a problem" message.
            > I will take some time to study the program and to try to configure it
            > to work in my environment (WinXP, SR RxTx 6.2 and SRLX 8.3).
            >
            > 73's
            >
            > Alex 9V1AL
            >

            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > What is
            > > > the development system you are using?
            > >
            > > VC7.
            > > It should also be compilable with the free VC8 from the MS site.
            double-
            > > click the .sln project file. There is a .bmp explaining the
            > data-flow in
            > > the source.

          • cesco12342000
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
              Hi Voitech, Alex,

              > You need to copy loop.dll to the same directory where the iqtrx.exe
              > resides.

              It should also work when loop.dll is not present.

              btw i wold place the loop.dll in the windows/system32 directory because
              all programs should use the same instance of the dll. If they use
              different instances there will be no sharing of audio data.

              > I can
              > confirm that it can be compiled with the free VC++ 2008 Express.

              Tnx for the confirmation.

              >but there is a "iqtrx has encountered a problem" message.

              I dont get that here. Can you inform if you find the cause of the problem ?

              73, Cesco
            • alexle188
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 5, 2008
                Hi Cesco and Voitech,

                Many thanks for your quick response to my problem. It has been solved :)

                As suggested, I placed the loop.dll in the windows\system32 directory.

                However, the problem turned out to be a missing msvcr70.dll in my
                system. I downloaded this dll and placed it in window\system directory.

                Voila, the SDR program (compiled under VC++ 2008 (version 9.0)
                Express edition (with Microsoft PLatform SDK for Windows Server 2003
                SP1) works with no error messages!

                Cesco, I'm very impressed with your program! Though "simple", it has
                most of the basic functionalities required to operate the Softrock.

                Alex
              • Christos Nikolaou
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 6, 2008
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Cesco and Voitech,
                  >
                  > Many thanks for your quick response to my problem. It has been
                  solved :)

                  > As suggested, I placed the loop.dll in the windows\system32 directory.
                  >
                  > However, the problem turned out to be a missing msvcr70.dll in my
                  > system. I downloaded this dll and placed it in window\system directory.
                  >
                  > Voila, the SDR program (compiled under VC++ 2008 (version 9.0)
                  > Express edition (with Microsoft PLatform SDK for Windows Server 2003
                  > SP1) works with no error messages!
                  >
                  > Cesco, I'm very impressed with your program! Though "simple", it has
                  > most of the basic functionalities required to operate the Softrock.
                  >
                  > Alex

                  Thank you Cesco for the release under GPL of your program code.
                  I guess it is only a matter of time now to see more flavors of SDR
                  programs coming from amateurs in the SDR community.
                  And that is a good thing anyway.

                  73
                  Christos SV1EIA
                • alexle188
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 6, 2008
                    The "simple" SDR program compiled under VC++ 9.0 Express Edition works
                    with the SR in the following way in the "default" configuration:

                    When center freq is set to X, it decodes the USB or LSB signal
                    at X - 9.4 khz. I suppose this is the "default" offset.

                    I will look at the program and see how this offset can be changed so
                    that it works in the "Softrock 40" mode rather than the "Flexradio
                    1000" like mode.

                    Alex
                  • alexle188
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 7, 2008
                      The offset is about 9.4 khz when sampling at 48k. It is 18.9 khz or
                      double at 96k sampling rate.

                      Alex

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                      > The "simple" SDR program compiled under VC++ 9.0 Express Edition works
                      > with the SR in the following way in the "default" configuration:
                      >
                      > When center freq is set to X, it decodes the USB or LSB signal
                      > at X - 9.4 khz. I suppose this is the "default" offset.
                      >
                      > I will look at the program and see how this offset can be changed so
                      > that it works in the "Softrock 40" mode rather than the "Flexradio
                      > 1000" like mode.
                      >
                      > Alex

                    • cesco12342000
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 7, 2008
                        Hi Alex,

                        > I will look at the program and see how this offset can be changed

                        Click on the signal you want to decode ...

                        73, cesco
                      • alexle188
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 7, 2008
                          Hi Cesco,

                          Thanks. Didn't think of the obvious :)

                          Alex

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Alex,
                          >
                          > > I will look at the program and see how this offset can be changed
                          >
                          > Click on the signal you want to decode ...
                          >
                          > 73, cesco

                        • rumeniv
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 8, 2008
                            I was able to compile the iqtrx program with Visual Studio 2005 (VS8)
                            successfully, but before opening the solution with VS2005 I had to
                            convert it to the newer version. The conversion wizard only changed
                            the solution and project files.

                            But I am getting error when I run the program (the same when I run
                            iqfft.exe from examples folder of audioloop):

                            "iqfft.exe encountered a problem and needs to close."

                            Does anybody have an idea how to solve this?

                            Cesco, can you recommend some good books or web pages to start with
                            Windows programming? I think you haven't used MFC in your program?

                            73, Roumen
                          • cesco12342000
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 8, 2008
                              > Cesco, can you recommend some good books or web pages to start with
                              > Windows programming? I think you haven't used MFC in your program?

                              Forget books, we have the internet.
                              MSDN can be a good resource. There is a full branch of msdn with no useful
                              info at all, avoid that. But reference of functions + messages is good.

                              Start with a simple C example, C++ is much more abstract. Learn to use the
                              debugger ... F11 is your friend. Start solving your problems on your own,
                              asking others for help will not help you at all.

                              Last thing ... I do not know any sucessful programmer with an average IQ.
                            • alexle188
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 8, 2008
                                Rumeniv,

                                I encountered the same error message before and the following is the
                                solution.

                                As suggested, I placed the loop.dll in the windows\system32 directory.

                                However, the problem turned out to be a missing msvcr70.dll in my
                                system. I downloaded this dll and placed it in window\system directory.

                                msvcr70.dll maybe, I guess, the Microsoft Visual C Release 7.0 dll,
                                which some part of the sdr program depends on.

                                Alex

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rumeniv" <roumeniv@...> wrote:

                                > I was able to compile the iqtrx program with Visual Studio 2005 (VS8)
                                > successfully, but before opening the solution with VS2005 I had to
                                > convert it to the newer version. The conversion wizard only changed
                                > the solution and project files.
                                >
                                > But I am getting error when I run the program (the same when I run
                                > iqfft.exe from examples folder of audioloop):
                                >
                                > "iqfft.exe encountered a problem and needs to close."
                                >
                                > Does anybody have an idea how to solve this?
                                >
                                > Cesco, can you recommend some good books or web pages to start with
                                > Windows programming? I think you haven't used MFC in your program?
                                >
                                > 73, Roumen

                              • rumeniv
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008
                                  Thank you Alex and Cesco!

                                  I put loop.dll in Windows\system32 folder and downloaded msvcr70.dll
                                  and put it in windows\system and now iqtrx works!

                                  Internet says that msvcr70.dll is a DLL that contains implementation
                                  of C standard library (stdlib) functions. These are the functions
                                  defined in well-known header files - stdio.h, stdlib.h, string.h, etc.

                                  I tried with msvcr71.dll, but it is not working. It seems that iqtrx
                                  relays on msvcr70.dll only.

                                  73, Roumen

                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                                  > Rumeniv,
                                  >
                                  > I encountered the same error message before and the following is the
                                  > solution.

                                  > As suggested, I placed the loop.dll in the windows\system32 directory.
                                  >
                                  > However, the problem turned out to be a missing msvcr70.dll in my
                                  > system. I downloaded this dll and placed it in window\system directory.
                                  >
                                  > msvcr70.dll maybe, I guess, the Microsoft Visual C Release 7.0 dll,
                                  > which some part of the sdr program depends on.
                                  >
                                  > Alex
                                  >

                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rumeniv" <roumeniv@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I was able to compile the iqtrx program with Visual Studio 2005 (VS8)
                                  > > successfully, but before opening the solution with VS2005 I had to
                                  > > convert it to the newer version. The conversion wizard only changed
                                  > > the solution and project files.
                                  > >
                                  > > But I am getting error when I run the program (the same when I run
                                  > > iqfft.exe from examples folder of audioloop):
                                  > >
                                  > > "iqfft.exe encountered a problem and needs to close."
                                  > >
                                  > > Does anybody have an idea how to solve this?
                                  > >
                                  > > Cesco, can you recommend some good books or web pages to start with
                                  > > Windows programming? I think you haven't used MFC in your program?
                                  > >
                                  > > 73, Roumen

                                • cesco12342000
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008
                                    > I tried with msvcr71.dll, but it is not working. It seems that iqtrx
                                    > relays on msvcr70.dll only.

                                    This is a strange thing. I did think about since alex reported this.
                                    I think it's not iqtrx to need the msvcr-something, but the loop.dll !

                                    If you compile your own loop.dll you should not need the msvcr-thing...
                                    but i have not tested it.

                                    73, cesco
                                  • Ivan
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008
                                      Hi,

                                      I just tried to compile it via VS .NET 2005, it compiles and such
                                      but it complains about the MSVC dll ( runtime stuff ).

                                      I can't find the sources of the loop.dll, the link posted a while ago
                                      in this thread is empty and can't try to compile those myself.

                                      Anyone can give me a link to it so I can try to compile the DLL as well
                                      and see if I can get rid of the necessity of the MSVC ?

                                      Thanks in advance,

                                      Ivan Z.

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                                      > > I tried with msvcr71.dll, but it is not working. It seems that iqtrx
                                      > > relays on msvcr70.dll only.
                                      >
                                      > This is a strange thing. I did think about since alex reported this.
                                      > I think it's not iqtrx to need the msvcr-something, but the loop.dll !
                                      >
                                      > If you compile your own loop.dll you should not need the msvcr-
                                      thing...
                                      > but i have not tested it.
                                      >
                                      > 73, cesco

                                    • cesco12342000
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008
                                        > Anyone can give me a link to it so I can try to compile the DLL as
                                        well
                                        > and see if I can get rid of the necessity of the MSVC ?

                                        http://audioloop.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

                                        sorry, svn is new 4 me, so i messed it up the firt time.
                                      • Ivan
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008
                                          Many thanks :)

                                          I use svn as well but I have no idea how to use it with Google so you
                                          do better than me :)

                                          I'll have a go later maybe, I am really interested in this program to
                                          understand "how the demodulation stuff works", I got some idea reading
                                          there and there but I want to understand it more.

                                          One for thing I already saw that made me go "doh!" is the lenght of the
                                          filters, I see why I wasn't able to get "super good results" with only
                                          4 .. 6 taps :D

                                          Ivan Z.

                                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                                          > > Anyone can give me a link to it so I can try to compile the DLL as
                                          > well
                                          > > and see if I can get rid of the necessity of the MSVC ?
                                          >
                                          > http://audioloop.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
                                          >
                                          > sorry, svn is new 4 me, so i messed it up the firt time.

                                        • Ray
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 9, 2008

                                            Hi Cesco,

                                            I have another dumb question – how do I download the code for use in my PC ??  I have Visual Express 8000 but can’t grab the code from Google for some reason??

                                            73, Ray N0FY

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 12, 2008
                                              Cesco and the others,

                                              I can confirm that after compiling loop.dll by myself I was able to
                                              start iqtrx without the need of mvscr70.dll file.

                                              Thank you for your help Cesco!

                                              73, Roumen

                                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "cesco12342000" <cesco1@...> wrote:

                                              > > I tried with msvcr71.dll, but it is not working. It seems that iqtrx
                                              > > relays on msvcr70.dll only.
                                              >
                                              > This is a strange thing. I did think about since alex reported this.
                                              > I think it's not iqtrx to need the msvcr-something, but the loop.dll !
                                              >
                                              > If you compile your own loop.dll you should not need the msvcr-thing...
                                              > but i have not tested it.
                                              >
                                              > 73, cesco

                                            • alexle188
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 12, 2008
                                                Hi Roumen,

                                                where is the source of loop.dll?

                                                Alex

                                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rumeniv" <roumeniv@...> wrote:

                                                > Cesco and the others,
                                                >
                                                > I can confirm that after compiling loop.dll by myself I was able to
                                                > start iqtrx without the need of mvscr70.dll file.
                                                >
                                                > Thank you for your help Cesco!
                                                >
                                                > 73, Roumen

                                              • rumeniv
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 21, 2008
                                                  Hi Alex,

                                                  Sorry, I overlooked your question.

                                                  The source of loop.dll is in http://audioloop.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

                                                  And I used TortoiseSVN to download it (svn checkout).

                                                  Once again sorry!

                                                  Roumen

                                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "alexle188" <lee188@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Roumen,
                                                  >
                                                  > where is the source of loop.dll?
                                                  >
                                                  > Alex
                                                  >

                                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rumeniv" <roumeniv@> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Cesco and the others,
                                                  > >
                                                  > > I can confirm that after compiling loop.dll by myself I was able to
                                                  > > start iqtrx without the need of mvscr70.dll file.
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Thank you for your help Cesco!
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 73, Roumen

                                                • alexle188
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 21, 2008
                                                    Many thanks Roumen. I checked it out with svn and compiled loop.dll
                                                    under Visual C++ Express 2008. The compiled loop.dll is then placed
                                                    in \windows\system32 (overwriting the old loop.dll). I also removed
                                                    msvc70.dll from \windows\system.

                                                    Yes, now iqtrx works with no problems (without the msvc70.dll).

                                                    Alex
                                                    9V1AL