Re: [softrock40] 12F683 Question

  • Pete Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
      Good question - I am rethinking that, given that I have a separate switch
      wafer dedicated to frequency control, and another for switching the
      BPFs. Maybe I can dispense with the diodes on both of those functions. I
      was thinking by analogy to a band decoder, where the same outputs must be
      shared between different sets of choices (like 4 antennas and 6 BPFs).

      73, Pete

      At 12:15 AM 7/2/2008, you wrote:
      >Why the diode?

    • Pete Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
        Unfortunately, I need 4 outputs, because the codes for several bands use
        the 4th digit. Actually, I think I have a super-simple solution - I'll
        test it and post description later.

        73, Pete

      • brainerd@wildblue.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
          On 2 Jul 2008 at 7:20, Pete Smith wrote:

          > Good question - I am rethinking that, given that I have a separate switch
          > wafer dedicated to frequency control, and another for switching the
          > BPFs. Maybe I can dispense with the diodes on both of those functions. I
          > was thinking by analogy to a band decoder, where the same outputs must be
          > shared between different sets of choices (like 4 antennas and 6 BPFs).
          >
          > 73, Pete

          I don't know if the 12F683 has internal pull-ups. If so, then a single wafer switching between
          ground and open will suffice. Generally with CMOS, an open input is undefined, so it must
          either be pulled up to Vcc or down to ground at all times. The only issue in connecting to
          ground is making sure the pin cannot be an output when it is connected to ground.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>
        • Pete Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
            Well, connecting to ground is exactly what the DIP switch on the 8.3 Xtall
            board does. It has pull-ups and also series protective resistors against
            the kind of unintentional output scenario you describe. Seems like a good
            design.

            On another subject, after thinking a bit more, I will still need the
            steering diodes to keep from unintentionally tying input lines together,
            because of the different combinations needed for the 6 center frequencies
            of interest.

            73, Pete N4ZR