12F683 Question

  • Pete Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1 4:05 AM
      Does anyone know if a 12F683 running on 3.3 volts in the SoftRock 8.3
      circuit will operate reliably if, instead of using a DIP switch to ground
      pins on the chip, a rotary switch through a single silicon diode is
      used. I think that means that the pin will not be at 0, but rather at .7
      volts above ground, and I can't find any indication in the data sheet of
      what the chip considers to be the maximum logic low voltage.

      73, Pete N4ZR
    • Jack Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1 4:43 AM
        Table 15-5 in the 12F683 data sheet.

        Jack

        Pete Smith wrote:

        > Does anyone know if a 12F683 running on 3.3 volts in the SoftRock 8.3
        > circuit will operate reliably if, instead of using a DIP switch to ground
        > pins on the chip, a rotary switch through a single silicon diode is
        > used. I think that means that the pin will not be at 0, but rather at .7
        > volts above ground, and I can't find any indication in the data sheet of
        > what the chip considers to be the maximum logic low voltage.
        >
        > 73, Pete N4ZR

      • Pete Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1 4:58 AM
          It appears from that table (which I had missed before) that if Vdd is 3.3
          volts, then the maximum for a logic low is .15 * 3.3v, and .7 volts will be
          too high. Am I reading the table correctly?

          Would it be feasible to use germanium steering diodes instead, with a
          forward voltage drop of ~.3 volts, or should I just go to plan B and use a
          rotary binary encoder? I'd prefer not to, because mMy objective in this is
          to select the 6 contest bands using a single rotary switch (2P6T) to
          control the oscillator and bpf selection.

          73, Pete

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1 5:27 AM
            Yes, that is how the data sheet is to be read.

            As far as using diode steering or diode logic, a couple points. First is
            that 0.7 volt drop is the common assumption for a diode drop. It's far
            less than this for low current. Check the typical 1N4148 data sheet, or,
            better yet, set up a quick test with a diode, a 10K resistor, a variable
            DC power supply, a pair of digital meters and graph Vf vs If.

            For a lower drop, a Schottky diode such as a 1N5711 is preferable over a
            Germanium. However, a similar Vf versus If plot will be informative.

            I wrote about diode Vf versus If at
            http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_vf_vs_if.htm but it will stick
            with you more if you also make the Vf versus If measurements yourself.

            The 0.15 Vdd threshold is for TTL-compatible inputs. I have not gone
            through the 12F683 data sheet, but some (many) PICs have some ports with
            Schmitt type inputs which have a different threshold. Table 15-5 implies
            that some 12F683 inputs have Schmitt construction with Vl = 0.2 Vdd.

            It's also likely that there is some margin in Table 15-5's values. For a
            one-off project, some people will accept operation outside the data
            sheet values, if the configuration works. You might try it and see what
            happens.

            Jack

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1 5:38 AM
              I should also add that any inexpensive NPN transistor can be used as a
              switch with a Vsat around a couple tenths of a volt. Hence it is
              possible to use the switch, a diode and a base current limiting resistor
              to turn a 2N2222 or 2N4401 on/off with the PIC's input connected to the
              NPN's collector. (Needs a pull-up resistor, of course.) Or, a 2N7000
              MOSFET can be used if you don't like bipolars. As long as the pull up
              resistor isn't too large, the 2N7000 will also give you a low voltage of
              a couple tenths.

              Jack

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1 5:49 AM
                Great, Jack, as always. Thanks!

                73, Pete

                At 08:38 AM 7/1/2008, you wrote:
                >I should also add that any inexpensive NPN transistor can be used as a
                >switch with a Vsat around a couple tenths of a volt. Hence it is
                >possible to use the switch, a diode and a base current limiting resistor
                >to turn a 2N2222 or 2N4401 on/off with the PIC's input connected to the
                >NPN's collector. (Needs a pull-up resistor, of course.) Or, a 2N7000
                >MOSFET can be used if you don't like bipolars. As long as the pull up
                >resistor isn't too large, the 2N7000 will also give you a low voltage of
                >a couple tenths.
                >
                >Jack
                >

                >Jack Smith wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes, that is how the data sheet is to be read.
                > >
                > > As far as using diode steering or diode logic, a couple points. First is
                > > that 0.7 volt drop is the common assumption for a diode drop. It's far
                > > less than this for low current. Check the typical 1N4148 data sheet, or,
                > > better yet, set up a quick test with a diode, a 10K resistor, a variable
                > > DC power supply, a pair of digital meters and graph Vf vs If.
                > >
                > > For a lower drop, a Schottky diode such as a 1N5711 is preferable over a
                > > Germanium. However, a similar Vf versus If plot will be informative.
                > >
                > > I wrote about diode Vf versus If at
                > > http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_vf_vs_if.htm
                > > <http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_vf_vs_if.htm> but it will stick
                > > with you more if you also make the Vf versus If measurements yourself.
                > >
                > > The 0.15 Vdd threshold is for TTL-compatible inputs. I have not gone
                > > through the 12F683 data sheet, but some (many) PICs have some ports with
                > > Schmitt type inputs which have a different threshold. Table 15-5 implies
                > > that some 12F683 inputs have Schmitt construction with Vl = 0.2 Vdd.
                > >
                > > It's also likely that there is some margin in Table 15-5's values. For a
                > > one-off project, some people will accept operation outside the data
                > > sheet values, if the configuration works. You might try it and see what
                > > happens.
                > >
                > > Jack
                > >
                > > Pete Smith wrote:
                > > >
                > > > It appears from that table (which I had missed before) that if Vdd
                > > is 3.3
                > > > volts, then the maximum for a logic low is .15 * 3.3v, and .7 volts
                > > > will be
                > > > too high. Am I reading the table correctly?
                > > >
                > > > Would it be feasible to use germanium steering diodes instead, with a
                > > > forward voltage drop of ~.3 volts, or should I just go to plan B and
                > > > use a
                > > > rotary binary encoder? I'd prefer not to, because mMy objective in
                > > > this is
                > > > to select the 6 contest bands using a single rotary switch (2P6T) to
                > > > control the oscillator and bpf selection.
                > > >
                > > > 73, Pete

                > > SoftRock 8.3
                > > > ground
                > > > at .7
                > > > sheet of

              • k5nwa
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1 6:26 AM
                  At 06:05 AM 7/1/2008, you wrote:
                  >Does anyone know if a 12F683 running on 3.3 volts in the SoftRock 8.3
                  >circuit will operate reliably if, instead of using a DIP switch to ground
                  >pins on the chip, a rotary switch through a single silicon diode is
                  >used. I think that means that the pin will not be at 0, but rather at .7
                  >volts above ground, and I can't find any indication in the data sheet of
                  >what the chip considers to be the maximum logic low voltage.
                  >
                  >73, Pete N4ZR

                  Not sure,but use a 1N34A Germanium diodes and you get .3 Volt Drop, a
                  second alternative is a Schotty diode.

                  Cecil
                  K5NWA
                  www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                • jeffthom99
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 1 3:13 PM
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone know if a 12F683 running on 3.3 volts in the SoftRock 8.3
                    > circuit will operate reliably if, instead of using a DIP switch to
                    ground
                    > pins on the chip, a rotary switch through a single silicon diode is
                    > used. I think that means that the pin will not be at 0, but rather
                    at .7
                    > volts above ground, and I can't find any indication in the data
                    sheet of
                    > what the chip considers to be the maximum logic low voltage.
                    >
                    > 73, Pete N4ZR

                    Hi Pete,

                    To use a single pole rotary switch, add a TTL 8-to-3 encoder (74xx148)
                    and pull any one input to ground at a time. The output will be the 3
                    digit binary number reflecting the highest input that is Low when all
                    below it are high. Inputs will tend to float high in the absence of
                    large signals, so the encoding will reflect the position of the
                    grounded pin. I used this a lot 'back in the day' with the LS family
                    without pull-up resistors (YMMV with other families). Wire the chip
                    in 'dead bug' style and bridge a 0.1 uf chip between Vcc and Gnd. and
                    let us know how this works for you.

                    73 de Jeff, KB3NAX
                  • Mike Young
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 1 9:15 PM
                      Why the diode?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2 4:20 AM
                        Good question - I am rethinking that, given that I have a separate switch
                        wafer dedicated to frequency control, and another for switching the
                        BPFs. Maybe I can dispense with the diodes on both of those functions. I
                        was thinking by analogy to a band decoder, where the same outputs must be
                        shared between different sets of choices (like 4 antennas and 6 BPFs).

                        73, Pete

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 2 4:27 AM
                          Unfortunately, I need 4 outputs, because the codes for several bands use
                          the 4th digit. Actually, I think I have a super-simple solution - I'll
                          test it and post description later.

                          73, Pete

                        • brainerd@wildblue.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 2 8:21 AM
                            On 2 Jul 2008 at 7:20, Pete Smith wrote:

                            > Good question - I am rethinking that, given that I have a separate switch
                            > wafer dedicated to frequency control, and another for switching the
                            > BPFs. Maybe I can dispense with the diodes on both of those functions. I
                            > was thinking by analogy to a band decoder, where the same outputs must be
                            > shared between different sets of choices (like 4 antennas and 6 BPFs).
                            >
                            > 73, Pete

                            I don't know if the 12F683 has internal pull-ups. If so, then a single wafer switching between
                            ground and open will suffice. Generally with CMOS, an open input is undefined, so it must
                            either be pulled up to Vcc or down to ground at all times. The only issue in connecting to
                            ground is making sure the pin cannot be an output when it is connected to ground.

                            Dave - WB6DHW
                            <http://wb6dhw.com>
                          • Pete Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 3 4:56 AM
                              Well, connecting to ground is exactly what the DIP switch on the 8.3 Xtall
                              board does. It has pull-ups and also series protective resistors against
                              the kind of unintentional output scenario you describe. Seems like a good
                              design.

                              On another subject, after thinking a bit more, I will still need the
                              steering diodes to keep from unintentionally tying input lines together,
                              because of the different combinations needed for the 6 center frequencies
                              of interest.

                              73, Pete N4ZR