Re: [softrock40] Re: SP-70 Transformer performance?

  • Brad Thompson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2008
      At 12:36 PM 6/29/2008, Pete Smith wrote:

      >Yes, I did, Jack - I was very careful to make sure that the top of the
      >windings (pins 1 and 3) went to the signal lines from the SoftRock and to
      >the sound card, and that the bottoms (2 and 4) went to the common lead on
      >their respective side of the transformer. I will double-check, because I
      >have a history of this sort of mistake, but I don't think so.
      >
      >I did notice that the DC resistance of the primary and secondary are quite
      >different - 72 vs 92 ohms. <snip>

      Hello, Pete and the group--

      I'm not surprised that he resistance windings are different. The
      primary winding goes on closest to the core, and the secondary winding
      gets applied next. However, the length of turn increases because the
      secondary is physically further away from the core. Thus, the
      primary might require 100 feet of wire while the secondary requires
      140 feet for the same number of turns.

      The manufacturer can use a larger-diameter wire for the secondary
      winding, but the larger wire takes up more space and makes
      it more difficult to get the required number of turns onto the core.

      73--

      Brad AA1IP