RxTx V6.2 - Head phones?

  • a.drory
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
      Can someone explain me what is the purpose of the headphones output?

      Thanks

      Avner 4X1GE
    • Jose Bonanca
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
        Could it be ti listen ??
        73

        --
        Jose Bonanca (CT1aos)
      • Brian Hall
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
          FWIW, I have the same question...I have two RxTX kits and all I hear are assorted keyclicks from the headphone jack, not audio output as I would expect.

          Brian AC7NA

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
            The headphone output provides a way, if the SDR software supports the use, of using a RXTX board with a soundcard with one stereo line-in and one stereo line-out.  This would work best for modes where no speaker output is needed/desired during TX such as for SSB or PSK31 operation.  Speaker output during RX, if the SDR software provides the function, is put out on one of the line-out lines which is routed during RX to the head phone connection on the RXTX board.

            I do not include that feature on the new RXTX+Xtall v6.3 board since speaker output may be accomplished by a low-cost second soundcard.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
              In conversation with Tony about the headphone jack I believe he said it was originally included, as the M zero whatever sdr program required it at one time for using that particular program on SSB and that was the only way you could copy SSB with that program.  The issue was subsequently solved and is not used with the rocky or sdr1000 programs and was not intended for either of those programs.

              As a matter of interest, unplug your speaker from whichever audio output you are using and simply plug your headphones into that jack and you will have controllable audio output.

              Van, K7VS

              It has removed 1230 spam emails to date.
              Try SPAMfighter for free now!
            • Michael E. Califf,Sr.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6, 2008
                So, as I read it, under normal circumstances a person really doesn't need to
                connect the earphone connector???

                I didn't understand the phrase about use with PSK31 it is not needed??

                Mecsr MikeSr AB7OC
              • Tony Parks
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7, 2008
                  The earphone connection provides an alternate receive audio output so any transmission mode where you do not need to listen to audio during transmission could use the earphone connection if the SDR software provides that alternate receive audio path.

                  73,
                  Tony KB9YIG