HELP! RXTX 6.2

  • hczerwick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
      Finished my kit yesterday. Did all the prelim tests in the Builders
      notes up to testing the receiver part. Everything checked out.

      Went to hook it to the windows computer with Rocky. I rarely use
      windows as I'm mostly a Linux guy. I do have a second computer here
      with XP on it. Noticed I had driver issues with the sound card. Got
      that straightened around. No luck with the RXTX. Played with the
      jumpers a bit. Still no luck. Put it away for the night.

      Here's the stupid part on my part. I had two bits of end leads from
      caps soldered in the power in part of the board. I had a old end from
      a dead computer fan that fit on there nicely. It was a 3 prong plug.
      Until I hooked the coax up then I had to plug it on backwards for it
      to fit. Well this morning I decided to go back to testing square one
      and in seeing how many mA draw there was I inadvertently reversed the
      polarity.

      So now when you go and test the resistance between + and ground it
      behaves like you are charging a cap up. Starts out low resistance and
      builds until it's off the chart.

      Have I fried the whole works? Or do you think I may have just cooked
      the voltage regulator?

      Any thought appreciated.

      Hank AB2XG
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
        Hi Hank,

        There is a series diode on the RXTX board to guart against the reverse power supply polarity problem so you should be ok.  When the power supply is connected with the right polarity, what current is supplied to the RXTX board in RX mode?

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2008
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

          > Hi Hank,
          >
          > There is a series diode on the RXTX board to guart against the
          reverse power supply polarity problem so you should be ok. When the
          power supply is connected with the right polarity, what current is
          supplied to the RXTX board in RX mode?

          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

          Thanks a million for your quick reply. Decided to walk away from the
          whole calamity of errors that went on here right after breakfast and
          take care of some other things while I thought about this whole thing.
          Something was not adding up. If you have resistance and apply voltage
          there needs to be measurable amperage right? Well not if the fuse in
          the meter is blown for some reason. Got that squared away and
          everything measured like it should. Got rid of the whole plug thing I
          mentioned also, that was nice for building and testing but we're past
          that now. So hooked everything back up to the Windows computer and
          still nothing. Dug around the junk box and found a old SoundBlaster
          Card. Popped that in the computer and tried it and now we're receiving!!!!

          So now to get this in an enclosure and see if we can get on the air!!!

          Thanks a million again.

          Hank AB2XG