Question About Creative Sound Blaster Cards

  • rumeniv
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2008
      Dear all,

      I looked on some stores in the place where I live now and fount three
      Creative Sound Blaster cards. Since I don't have a chance to buy Delta
      44 or similar card which is suggested by many people on the group my
      question is which of the following Creative SB cards is good just to
      start with SDR:

      1. SB Audigy Value, 24 bit, PCI

      2. SB Live 24 USB Model 0490

      3. SB Audigy NX, 24 bit, USB

      The first card is the cheapest, the last is the most expensive. All
      cards say they are 96kHz/100dB on their boxes. I saw discussions about
      USB cards are not so fast. I plan to use the card with my old desktop
      computer in which have an integrated AC97 sound card. For now I don't
      need mobility since I don't have a laptop computer.

      Your advice will be very appreciated!

      73,
      LZ4IR, Roumen
    • Joe - K8FC
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2008
        Folks, all the discussion of sound cards has reminded me that I have a almost new (less than a month) Sound Blaster Live ! 24-bit External (USB) Model SB0490 which has become surplus to my needs. ( I gave the laptop to my daughter)

        If there is any interest in this device  at 35 bucks plus postage, please let me know off the list.  Everything it comes with is in the box, as I said less than a month old.

        Thanks,

        Joe K8FC

        Message 3 of 7 , May 5, 2008

          For a desktop, what I did was buy a PCI SB Live 24 off eBay for $15 including shipping...they are still pretty common on the used market, as they were installed by OEMs as standard soundcards for awhile.

          Brian AC7NA

          I looked on some stores in the place where I live now and fount three
          Creative Sound Blaster cards. Since I don't have a chance to buy Delta
          44 or similar card which is suggested by many people on the group my
          question is which of the following Creative SB cards is good just to
          start with SDR:

          1. SB Audigy Value, 24 bit, PCI

          2. SB Live 24 USB Model 0490

          3. SB Audigy NX, 24 bit, USB

          The first card is the cheapest, the last is the most expensive. All
          cards say they are 96kHz/100dB on their boxes. I saw discussions about
          USB cards are not so fast. I plan to use the card with my old desktop
          computer in which have an integrated AC97 sound card. For now I don't
          need mobility since I don't have a laptop computer.

          Your advice will be very appreciated!

          73,
          LZ4IR, Roumen

        • Don Weissgerber / N9GOD
          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2008

            Brian,

            How well did that unit work for you? I just picked one up for $9.99 (plus $10 shipping! Ahem … can you spell ripoff?).

            Don / N9GOD

            Message 5 of 7 , May 5, 2008
              If someone hasn't already grabbed it, I'd like the LIVE SBO490.
              Bill - W7AAZ

              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2008

                The Live SB has been sold.  Thanks

                Joe

                Message 7 of 7 , May 5, 2008
                  I'm very happy w/ it...especially for the price.  I use the USB external version w/ my laptop and it works pretty well too; however, I'm hooked on SDR and on the prowl for a Delta 44 card on the cheap..LOL!

                  Brian AC7NA