Re: Reverse beacon network going graphical

  • Barry GM3YEH
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 4:37 PM
      Hi Ray...you can find the reverse beacon map Pete has told us about
      at:
      http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/index.php#
      73 de Barry GM3YEH.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "WB6TPU" <ray.anderson@...> wrote:

      > Looking at http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, the display I see
      looks
      > about the same as it always has (text only, no graphics). Is the
      URL
      > you gave correct or is there some special trick to activating the
      > graphics?
      >
      > -Ray WB6TPU
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Felipe, PY1NB has been busy this week. The main page of the CW
      Skimmer
      > > reverse beacon network server (www.dxwatch.com/index.php#) now
      > displays a
      > > world map on which all active "reverse beacons" are shown as
      green
      > dots, DX
      > > spotted by the CW Skimmers is shown as orange dots, and the paths
      > between
      > > the "spotter" and "spotted" are shown. You can mouse over either
      > the DX or
      > > beacon dots to see what station it is, and the paths are color-
      coded by
      > > band. You can also set the spot lifetime anywhere from 15
      seconds
      > to 10
      > > minutes - if a station is still being heard on the same
      frequency,
      > Skimmer
      > > renews the spot every 10 minutes. Because the service is based
      on
      > Google
      > > Maps, you can zoom in close. With a short spot lifetime and a
      busy
      > band,
      > > the site almost provides an animation of the propagation.
      > >
      > > There are still a few known issues on the page, reflecting its
      beta
      > > status. For example, although the "beacons" are accurately
      located,
      > spots
      > > in any given country are still shown in an arbitrary location
      near the
      > > center of the country; Felipe is studying the feasibility of
      doing a
      > QRZ
      > > lookup and then locating them more precisely. The great circle
      > paths are
      > > still a little lumpy, and the mouse-over function is a little
      > > twitchy. When you change the spot lifetime, the lifetime of all
      > spots is
      > > reset to the new value, even if they were originally much older,
      so it
      > > takes a little while to settle out. Look for additional
      > functionality in
      > > the next few weeks, and if you see Felipe in Dayton, say hi and
      tell
      > him
      > > you appreciate all his work.
      > >
      > > Meanwhile, the reverse beacon network still needs additional CW
      > Skimmers
      > > operating on more bands and in more locations. For example,
      every
      > morning
      > > I spot VK and ZL stations on 40M. I wonder what the VKs and ZLs
      are
      > > hearing, on that or any other band. Who'll be the first reverse
      > beacon in
      > > JA, or BY, or HL?
      > >
      > > 73, Pete N4ZR

    • Pete Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 5:17 PM
        Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
        Firefox and Internet Explorer.

        73, Pete N4ZR

      • Jack Brindle
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2 8:30 AM
          This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
          Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
          interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...

          - Jack Brindle, W6FB
          ---------------------
        • Doug Hall
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2 8:46 AM
            Actually I think the link was just wrong.

            http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, shows the web dx cluster listing
            http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/ shows the skimmer map.

            Isn't it just a case of someone posting the wrong link?

            On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@...> wrote:

            > This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
            > Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
            > interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...
            >
            > On May 1, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
            >
            > > Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
            > > Firefox and Internet Explorer.
            > >
            > > 73, Pete N4ZR
            > >
            > > At 05:44 PM 5/1/2008, WB6TPU wrote:
            > >
            > >> Looking at http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, the display I see looks
            > >> about the same as it always has (text only, no graphics). Is the URL
            > >> you gave correct or is there some special trick to activating the
            > >> graphics?
            > >>
            > >> -Ray WB6TPU

            > >> displays a
            > >> dots, DX
            > >> between
            > >> the DX or
            > >> to 10
            > >> Skimmer
            > >> Google
            > >> band,

            > >> spots
            > >> QRZ
            > >> paths are
            > >> spots is
            > >> functionality in
            > >> him

            > >> Skimmers
            > >> morning
            > >> beacon in

            > - Jack Brindle, W6FB
            > ---------------------

          • Jack Brindle
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2 9:21 AM
              That does it! Nice view...

              On May 2, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Doug Hall wrote:

              > Actually I think the link was just wrong.
              >
              > http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, shows the web dx cluster listing
              > http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/ shows the skimmer map.
              >
              > Isn't it just a case of someone posting the wrong link?
              >
              > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jack Brindle
              > <jackbrindle@...> wrote:
              >>

              >> This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
              >> Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
              >> interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...
              >>
              >> On May 1, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
              >>
              >>> Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
              >>> Firefox and Internet Explorer.
              >>>
              >>> 73, Pete N4ZR

              >> - Jack Brindle, W6FB

              - Jack Brindle, W6FB