Re: Reverse beacon network going graphical

  • WB6TPU
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      Looking at http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, the display I see looks
      about the same as it always has (text only, no graphics). Is the URL
      you gave correct or is there some special trick to activating the
      graphics?

      -Ray WB6TPU

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

      > Felipe, PY1NB has been busy this week. The main page of the CW Skimmer
      > reverse beacon network server (www.dxwatch.com/index.php#) now
      displays a
      > world map on which all active "reverse beacons" are shown as green
      dots, DX
      > spotted by the CW Skimmers is shown as orange dots, and the paths
      between
      > the "spotter" and "spotted" are shown. You can mouse over either
      the DX or
      > beacon dots to see what station it is, and the paths are color-coded by
      > band. You can also set the spot lifetime anywhere from 15 seconds
      to 10
      > minutes - if a station is still being heard on the same frequency,
      Skimmer
      > renews the spot every 10 minutes. Because the service is based on
      Google
      > Maps, you can zoom in close. With a short spot lifetime and a busy
      band,
      > the site almost provides an animation of the propagation.
      >
      > There are still a few known issues on the page, reflecting its beta
      > status. For example, although the "beacons" are accurately located,
      spots
      > in any given country are still shown in an arbitrary location near the
      > center of the country; Felipe is studying the feasibility of doing a
      QRZ
      > lookup and then locating them more precisely. The great circle
      paths are
      > still a little lumpy, and the mouse-over function is a little
      > twitchy. When you change the spot lifetime, the lifetime of all
      spots is
      > reset to the new value, even if they were originally much older, so it
      > takes a little while to settle out. Look for additional
      functionality in
      > the next few weeks, and if you see Felipe in Dayton, say hi and tell
      him
      > you appreciate all his work.
      >
      > Meanwhile, the reverse beacon network still needs additional CW
      Skimmers
      > operating on more bands and in more locations. For example, every
      morning
      > I spot VK and ZL stations on 40M. I wonder what the VKs and ZLs are
      > hearing, on that or any other band. Who'll be the first reverse
      beacon in
      > JA, or BY, or HL?
      >
      > 73, Pete N4ZR

    • Barry GM3YEH
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        Hi Ray...you can find the reverse beacon map Pete has told us about
        at:
        http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/index.php#
        73 de Barry GM3YEH.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "WB6TPU" <ray.anderson@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > twitchy. When you change the spot lifetime, the lifetime of all
        > spots is
        > > reset to the new value, even if they were originally much older,
        so it
        > > takes a little while to settle out. Look for additional
        > functionality in
        > > the next few weeks, and if you see Felipe in Dayton, say hi and
        tell
        > him
        > > you appreciate all his work.
        > >
        > > Meanwhile, the reverse beacon network still needs additional CW
        > Skimmers
        > > operating on more bands and in more locations. For example,
        every
        > morning
        > > I spot VK and ZL stations on 40M. I wonder what the VKs and ZLs
        are
        > > hearing, on that or any other band. Who'll be the first reverse

      • Pete Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2008
          Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
          Firefox and Internet Explorer.

          73, Pete N4ZR

        • Jack Brindle
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2008
            This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
            Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
            interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...

            - Jack Brindle, W6FB
            ---------------------
          • Doug Hall
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2008
              Actually I think the link was just wrong.

              http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, shows the web dx cluster listing
              http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/ shows the skimmer map.

              Isn't it just a case of someone posting the wrong link?

              On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@...> wrote:

              > This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
              > Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
              > interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...
              >
              > On May 1, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
              >
              > > Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
              > > Firefox and Internet Explorer.
              > >
              > > 73, Pete N4ZR
              > >
              > > At 05:44 PM 5/1/2008, WB6TPU wrote:
              > >
              > >> Looking at http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, the display I see looks
              > >> about the same as it always has (text only, no graphics). Is the URL
              > >> you gave correct or is there some special trick to activating the
              > >> graphics?
              > >>
              > >> -Ray WB6TPU

              > >> displays a
              > >> dots, DX
              > >> between
              > >> the DX or
              > >> to 10
              > >> Skimmer
              > >> Google
              > >> band,

              > >> spots
              > >> QRZ
              > >> paths are
              > >> spots is
              > >> functionality in
              > >> him

              > >> Skimmers
              > >> morning
              > >> beacon in

              > - Jack Brindle, W6FB
              > ---------------------

            • Jack Brindle
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2008
                That does it! Nice view...

                On May 2, 2008, at 8:46 AM, Doug Hall wrote:

                > Actually I think the link was just wrong.
                >
                > http://www.dxwatch.com/index.php#, shows the web dx cluster listing
                > http://skimmer.dxwatch.com/ shows the skimmer map.
                >
                > Isn't it just a case of someone posting the wrong link?
                >
                > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jack Brindle
                > <jackbrindle@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> This looks like a platform-dependent Javascript dependency. On my
                >> Mac, running OS X 10.5.2, both Safari and Firefox display the line
                >> interface and not the graphic one. Oh well...
                >>
                >> On May 1, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
                >>
                >>> Did you refresh the page in your browser. It works FB here with both
                >>> Firefox and Internet Explorer.
                >>>
                >>> 73, Pete N4ZR

                >> - Jack Brindle, W6FB

                - Jack Brindle, W6FB