Homebrew Quadrature Shaft Encoders

  • Lawrence Glaister
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2008
      With a little help from the junkbox and a couple of minutes time,
      you can fabricate a very usable optical quadrature shaft encoder that
      has 256 counts/revolution (64 windows on the encoder wheel).

      http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/mouse.html

      I used the above encoder on a vector network analyzer project detailed
      at http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/vna.html

      The local thrift store sells PC mice for $0.49. This will yield 2 or 3
      encoder channels worth of parts. Have fun.

      Lawrence Glaister VE7IT
    • Bill Meahan K8QN
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Lawrence Glaister <ve7it@...> wrote:

        > With a little help from the junkbox and a couple of minutes time,
        > you can fabricate a very usable optical quadrature shaft encoder that
        > has 256 counts/revolution (64 windows on the encoder wheel).
        >
        > http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/mouse.html

        Ah, scrounging at it's finest! :-) I'll have to try this as I have a
        few old mice that one of my cats "killed" by chewing through the
        cable. He's now passed on due to chewing through an AC cord instead of
        a low-voltage computer cable. RIP Poco.

        Old homework excuse: "The dog ate my homework."
        New homework excuse: "The cat ate my mouse."

        73

        Bill, K8QN