40/30 RXTX+XTALL in the mail Linux support?

  • mmmooretx
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2008
      I'm told my kit is in the mail and am waiting for my Si570
      notification. I am still wadeing through through the messages and
      files doing some data mining. I have a solder station and am
      experienced in build/repair (did radio maintainace in the AF). So
      this is a basic greetings to the group and I am interested if I can
      run the software side totally in Linux (SuSE 10.3, 11 in June)? I
      hope to wean myself away from Windoze by Dec. and I will not be going
      to Vista.
      Helpful advice greatfully appreciated.
      Mike
      N5RWH
      73
    • William Carver
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        After my Windoze machine crashed for the second time and wiped out my
        address book, I switched to Ubunto, Mike. What a breath of fresh air.
        Linux from here on out. I have not looked for SDR that runs on Linux,
        but there must be some.

        Bil

        On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 13:11 +0000, mmmooretx wrote:
        > I'm told my kit is in the mail and am waiting for my Si570
        > notification. I am still wadeing through through the messages and
        > files doing some data mining. I have a solder station and am
        > experienced in build/repair (did radio maintainace in the AF). So
        > this is a basic greetings to the group and I am interested if I can
        > run the software side totally in Linux (SuSE 10.3, 11 in June)? I
        > hope to wean myself away from Windoze by Dec. and I will not be going
        > to Vista.
        > Helpful advice greatfully appreciated.
        > Mike
        > N5RWH
        > 73
      • Michael M. Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2008
          I saw a demo of the Flex Radio 5000C by the owner of Flex Radio at a
          Hamfest and I am pretty sure he said all of their SW is GPL. I think
          I also heard him say they develop in Linux but compile for both XP &
          Linux. However I have not yet looked for their Power SDR in source
          code or in a compiled version for Linux. I think their formal
          delivery is in XP (no Vista yet, but reportedly they have a running
          version in Vista).
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, William Carver <bcarver@...> wrote:

          > After my Windoze machine crashed for the second time and wiped out my
          > address book, I switched to Ubunto, Mike. What a breath of fresh air.
          > Linux from here on out. I have not looked for SDR that runs on Linux,
          > but there must be some.
          >
          > Bil
          >
          > On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 13:11 +0000, mmmooretx wrote:
          > > I'm told my kit is in the mail and am waiting for my Si570
          > > notification. I am still wadeing through through the messages and
          > > files doing some data mining. I have a solder station and am
          > > experienced in build/repair (did radio maintainace in the AF). So
          > > this is a basic greetings to the group and I am interested if I can
          > > run the software side totally in Linux (SuSE 10.3, 11 in June)? I
          > > hope to wean myself away from Windoze by Dec. and I will not be going
          > > to Vista.
          > > Helpful advice greatfully appreciated.
          > > Mike
          > > N5RWH
          > > 73

        • John Melton
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2008
            Michael M. Moore wrote:

            > I saw a demo of the Flex Radio 5000C by the owner of Flex Radio at a
            > Hamfest and I am pretty sure he said all of their SW is GPL. I think
            > I also heard him say they develop in Linux but compile for both XP &
            > Linux. However I have not yet looked for their Power SDR in source
            > code or in a compiled version for Linux. I think their formal
            > delivery is in XP (no Vista yet, but reportedly they have a running
            > version in Vista).

            There is currently not a version of PowerSDR for Linux because of the
            problems of porting the GUI which is written in C#.

            However, PowerSDR is open source and can be downloaded using svn from:

            svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_windows

            The core DSP code (DttSP) has been ported to Linux (and Mac OSX) and is
            also open source and can be downloaded from:

            svn://206.216.146.154/svn/repos_sdr_linux

            The current version of DttSP that most people are using is the
            branches/ab2kt/dttsp-ng version.

            There is also code in the linux repository for controlling the SDR-1000
            and more recently some code has appeared to support the SDR-5000.

            Several of us have been developing GUI software using DttSP.

            I have one some code written in Java which is open source - see
            https://java-sdr.dev.java.net/

            Edson Pereria has developed an SDR-Shell written in C and using the Qt
            toolkit - see http://ewpereira.info/sdr-shell/

            Also take a look at http://dttsp.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page and
            also join the dttsp-linux Yahoo group where most of the communication
            about running an SDR on Linux and Mac OSX can be found.

            Regards,

            John g0orx/n6lyt

            --
            John Melton