Re: [softrock40] Standalone SoftRock. Q's about Xilinx DSP FPGA

  • Leon
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 30, 2008
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 12:12 AM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Standalone SoftRock. Q's about Xilinx DSP FPGA

      Ah. I've got it now, I think. You would do what the SoftRock does in the FPGA. That's almost too easy.

      I'm still a little confused about sampled bandwidth and center frequency. Is the center frequency simply half the sampling frequency, and the quadrature clock 2x the sampling frequency (or 4x the center frequency)?

      When Leon mentioned undersampling, is that just anti-aliasing with a BPF in front of the A/D? And beyond 600 MHz, the sine series coefficient is too large, and the losses too great?

      Here's an explanation:

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller
      Amateur radio call-sign  G1HSM
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks. That was a good read. What's the limitation on the 600 MHz you mentioned?

        Also, thanks for pointing me in this direction. It was a sudden eye opener. My crystal ball says there's still room for a large log periodic at the south end of the house.

        Mike.
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2008
          Recently, I have also started studying about FPGA's with the intention
          of playing with DSP and SDR.

          I think we have enough interest and momentum to start a discussion group
          and share ideas. For this, I have created the FPGA-SDR group.

          I made it clear that we are all beginners in this endeavor. :-)

          Please feel free to join. After a few days, I will close the
          subscriptions to prevent spams. If anyone would like to volunteer to
          help maintaining the group, please drop me a note.

          Cheers,

          -- Edson, n1vtn
        • k5nwa
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2008
            At 05:34 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:

            Recently, I have also started studying about FPGA's with the intention
            of playing with DSP and SDR.

            I think we have enough interest and momentum to start a discussion group
            and share ideas. For this, I have created the FPGA-SDR group.

            I made it clear that we are all beginners in this endeavor. :-)

            Please feel free to join. After a few days, I will close the
            subscriptions to prevent spams. If anyone would like to volunteer to
            help maintaining the group, please drop me a note.

            Cheers,

            -- Edson, n1vtn

            You need to make joining the list require approval by the moderator, so you can keep it open, people will join slowly over a large period of time.

            I'm usually against groups splintering off because it tends to have a negative impact on the original list but looking at the statistics of this group, it's quite healthy so I joined.

            There are many FPGA groups but most are way over the heads of someone starting out so I hope this group does well.

            Cecil
            K5NWA
            www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

          • k5nwa
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2008
              At 05:34 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
              >If anyone would like to volunteer to
              >help maintaining the group, please drop me a note.
              >
              >Cheers,
              >
              >-- Edson, n1vtn

              I hope you won't get mad, I have a commercial hosting account so I
              bought the domain www.fpgasdr.org, I figure I could load Wiki
              software there and have a limited group of members that can add
              articles related to the subject, it could also be a good place to
              have a tutorial.

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Edson Pereira
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6, 2008
                Cecil,

                No problem at all with the domain registration. I like the wiki idea.
                The wiki will be a good tool and will help us organize the information
                accumulated over time.

                73,

                -- Edson, n1vtn

                k5nwa wrote:

                > At 05:34 AM 5/1/2008, you wrote:
                > >If anyone would like to volunteer to
                > >help maintaining the group, please drop me a note.
                > >
                > >Cheers,
                > >
                > >-- Edson, n1vtn
                >
                > I hope you won't get mad, I have a commercial hosting account so I
                > bought the domain www.fpgasdr.org, I figure I could load Wiki
                > software there and have a limited group of members that can add
                > articles related to the subject, it could also be a good place to
                > have a tutorial.
                >
                > Cecil
                > K5NWA
                > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                >
                > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

              • k5nwa
                Message 7 of 19 , May 6, 2008
                  At 04:30 AM 5/6/2008, you wrote:

                  >Cecil,
                  >
                  >No problem at all with the domain registration. I like the wiki idea.
                  >The wiki will be a good tool and will help us organize the information
                  >accumulated over time.
                  >
                  >73,
                  >
                  >-- Edson, n1vtn

                  It's setup, barely, I'll add your name as an administrator, any names
                  you think to add as editors let me know and I'll add them.

                  It's a blank sheet of paper at this time.

                  < http://www.fpgasdr.org/index.php?title=Main_Page >