Re: [SPAM] RE: [softrock40] Re: Decoding Quadrature Shaft Encoders

  • Leon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2008
      Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:34 PM
      Subject: [SPAM] RE: [softrock40] Re: Decoding Quadrature Shaft Encoders

      Hi,

      I wrote some programs for a pic to decode quadrature signals into a “direction and pulses” format, they’re here:

      http://www.carnut.info/chris/

      Feel free to use any bits that are useful. The main problem I encountered with mechanical encoders was contact bounce.

      Regards

      I've got some PIC code I found somewhere that doesn't have a contact bounce problem, even without any debouncing code.

      Leon

    • Chris Albertson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2008
        There are more than one shaft encoder on the market. I think there
        are three or four basic types each using a diferent encoding method
        Some are optical some mechanical. The mechanical ones might bounce or
        might bounce after the unit ages. I've always wondered if a simple RC
        network would de-bounce contacts but because software does not add
        parts I've used software. Software debounce is pretty easy - read the
        switch multiple times with a slight delay between each until finally
        you get 6 or 8 reading that are all the same

        This is prety good, explains the different types and is readable too.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder

        --
        =====
        Chris Albertson