Z1000U buffer amplifier user report

  • Pete Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2008
      I just finished building my Z1000-U broadband buffer amplifier from Clifton
      Labs, and got it working thanks to help from Jack.

      All I can say is wow! I am running a 20M SoftRock Lite connected to the RX
      antenna loop of my TS-930 - with no splitter or other hardware to isolate
      the two. The local oscillator of the SoftRock was S9+35 on the TS-930.

      I inserted the buffer amp between the SoftRock and the transceiver
      antenna. Signals on the SoftRock are slightly louder, and the SoftRock LO
      is now inaudible in the TS-930.

      I also tried the buffer amp between a borrowed SDR-IQ and the same RX
      antenna tap. With a direct connection, the SDR-IQ seemed a little deaf,
      and also seem to have noticeably diminished the TS-930's
      sensitivity. Moreover, there was a considerable increase in the white
      noise floor with it connected, probably because of the high-speed switching
      in the SDR-IQ. With the buffer amp, there was no decrease in sensitivity
      or increase in white noise when connecting to the TS-930, and the SDR-IQ
      now seems much hotter, even though I built the buffer amp for zero
      gain. Before, I could not drive the SDR-IQ into clipping - now I actually
      have to ride the gain a little.

      An unqualified success - the Z10000-U is miles ahead of any passive
      splitter design. I think it is going to be a virtual requirement for
      anyone using a SoftRock Lite with a transceiver, on the same antenna.

      73, Pete N4ZR