RE: [softrock40] Battery power IS better. Photos prove it.

  • Stan Rife
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
      Message
          I got all three emails Bruce.

      Stan Rife
      W5EWA
      Houston, TX
      K2 S/N 4216

      -----Original Message-----
      From: softrock40@yahoogroups.com [mailto:softrock40@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bruce Beford
      Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 9:53 AM
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [softrock40] Battery power IS better. Photos prove it.

      Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.

      I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
      difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
      a battery powered supply.

      Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
      a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
      source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
      using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
      40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
      Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.

      Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
      power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
      is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
      computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.

      73,
      Bruce N1RX

    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        What N1RX folder?

        Bill WB5TCO

        Bruce Beford wrote:

        > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.
        >
        > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
        > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
        > a battery powered supply.
        >
        > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
        > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
        > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
        > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
        > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
        > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
        >
        > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
        > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
        > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
        > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
        >
        > 73,
        > Bruce N1RX

      • Bruce Beford
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          Click on "Photos" link in the blue box on the left side of the
          screen in the softrock-40 group. You will be taken to the photos
          section. Click on the N1RX folder.
          -Bruce.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
          > What N1RX folder?
          >
          > Bill WB5TCO
          >
          > Bruce Beford wrote:
          >
          > > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server
          somehwere.

          > > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
          > > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs
          using
          > > a battery powered supply.
          > >
          > > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected
          > > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are
          the
          > > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB
          port,
          > > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME
          SR-
          > > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a
          battery.
          > > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
          > >
          > > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running
          from a
          > > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery
          power
          > > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
          > > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
          > >
          > > 73,
          > > Bruce N1RX

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          of

          -------

        • Richard Gagnon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
            > What N1RX folder?
            >
            > Bill WB5TCO

            Go to the Group and select Photos at the left side of the page. One of
            the folders is N1RX. Click on it to open.

            Richard