Battery power IS better. Photos prove it.

  • Bruce Beford
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
      Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.

      I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
      difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
      a battery powered supply.

      Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
      a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
      source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
      using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
      40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
      Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.

      Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
      power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
      is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
      computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.

      73,
      Bruce N1RX
    • Stan Rife
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        Message
            I got all three emails Bruce.

        Stan Rife
        W5EWA
        Houston, TX
        K2 S/N 4216

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          What N1RX folder?

          Bill WB5TCO

          Bruce Beford wrote:

          > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.
          >
          > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
          > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
          > a battery powered supply.
          >
          > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
          > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
          > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
          > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
          > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
          > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
          >
          > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
          > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
          > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
          > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
          >
          > 73,
          > Bruce N1RX

        • Bruce Beford
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Click on "Photos" link in the blue box on the left side of the
            screen in the softrock-40 group. You will be taken to the photos
            section. Click on the N1RX folder.
            -Bruce.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
            > What N1RX folder?
            >
            > Bill WB5TCO
            >
            > Bruce Beford wrote:
            >
            > > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server
            somehwere.

            > > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
            > > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs
            using
            > > a battery powered supply.
            > >
            > > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected
            > > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are
            the
            > > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB
            port,
            > > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME
            SR-
            > > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a
            battery.
            > > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
            > >
            > > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running
            from a
            > > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery
            power
            > > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
            > > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Bruce N1RX

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            of

            -------

          • Richard Gagnon
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
              > What N1RX folder?
              >
              > Bill WB5TCO

              Go to the Group and select Photos at the left side of the page. One of
              the folders is N1RX. Click on it to open.

              Richard