KGKSDR build 22 released

  • Duncan Munro
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
      uploaded to the website at http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/

      Key changes are:

      FIXED: Problem with calibration when playing IQ files. Changing the
      receiver options could switch cal map from the wave file one to the
      normal receiver one making the IQ file cal inoperative and messing up
      the receiver map with unwanted data from the IQ file.

      FIXED: Problem with filtered spectrum display which would cause the
      software to crash if a pure zero signal was used.

      ADDED: AM filter for 10.5kHz.

      ADDED: Variable rate filtering for the spectrum display, can be
      amended with Options -> Receiver -> Display.

      73,

      Duncan M0KGK
    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
        No one has mentioned this but for several versions the 24 bit
        selection on the setup is grayed out, so if you move it to 16 bits
        you cant ever get it back to 24 bits. The software must be storing
        some data outside of it's directory because even after an un-install
        and a re-install all the settings were just as before.

        At 08:42 AM 1/2/2006, you wrote:
        >uploaded to the website at http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/
        >
        >Key changes are:
        >
        >FIXED: Problem with calibration when playing IQ files. Changing the
        >receiver options could switch cal map from the wave file one to the
        >normal receiver one making the IQ file cal inoperative and messing up
        >the receiver map with unwanted data from the IQ file.
        >
        >FIXED: Problem with filtered spectrum display which would cause the
        >software to crash if a pure zero signal was used.
        >
        >ADDED: AM filter for 10.5kHz.
        >
        >ADDED: Variable rate filtering for the spectrum display, can be
        >amended with Options -> Receiver -> Display.
        >
        >73,
        >
        >Duncan M0KGK
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        "I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
        same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
        only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
      • Duncan Munro
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
          KD5NWA wrote:
          > No one has mentioned this but for several versions the 24 bit
          > selection on the setup is grayed out, so if you move it to 16 bits
          > you cant ever get it back to 24 bits. The software must be storing
          > some data outside of it's directory because even after an un-install
          > and a re-install all the settings were just as before.

          Hi Cecil,

          There has never been any code in the software to process 24 bit input
          and output, so not being able to select it shouldn't cause any big loss :-)

          I'm using the Delta 66 here which is of course a 24 bit card. When you
          interrogate Windows for the card capabilities, it returns 8/16/32 bit so
          I'm guessing the OS is padding each 24 bit sample out to 4 bytes which
          would make sense for a number of reasons.

          Data stored outside the directory: I guess there are two that spring to
          mind, the first is the registry information which stores all the
          operating parameters and options. This should in theory be wiped on a
          de-install, but the number of reg keys is growing rapidly every day and
          I'd like the software to settle down before plugging all the parameters
          into the deinstaller.

          There's another storage area under local application data which is used
          for the calibration maps. Again, this is something that needs to be
          wiped on a de-install.

          --
          Duncan Munro
          http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
            OK, any idea when 24 bit will be supported?

            Here is something else to consider.

            The RIT and the CW center frequency do not affect the frequency
            readout, they should. As you change those two items you are changing
            what frequency you are tuned to, and the display should reflect that.

            Every HF radio with Digital display that I have ever seen change the
            display when RIT is changed to reflect what frequency you are listening to.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
              Hi Cecil,

              KD5NWA wrote:
              > OK, any idea when 24 bit will be supported?

              Don't know is the honest answer, as I don't have any hardware here that
              provides a 24 bit output through windows. What card did you have in mind?

              > The RIT and the CW center frequency do not affect the frequency
              > readout, they should. As you change those two items you are changing
              > what frequency you are tuned to, and the display should reflect that.

              Changing the CW centre frequency alters the frequency on the display.
              If you go into Options|Receiver, then the General tab you can watch it
              in action. Slide the options window away from the main window, you can
              change the CW centre freq and hit [Apply]. The filter will move, and
              the frequency will change too. On AM/SSB the frequency display shows
              the carrier frequency, on CW it shows the frequency of the 'carrier
              crystal' +/- the filter offset just like a real receiver.

              > Every HF radio with Digital display that I have ever seen change the
              > display when RIT is changed to reflect what frequency you are listening to.

              I'm just changing it now, should go out in the next build.

              --
              Duncan Munro
              http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                Duncan Munro wrote:

                > > OK, any idea when 24 bit will be supported?
                >
                > Don't know is the honest answer, as I don't have any hardware here that
                > provides a 24 bit output through windows.

                If you have a Delta 44, you can use its ASIO drivers to get 24 bit sampling
                under Windows. I know for sure, as I have done it for my yet-to-be-released
                program. I have been told, but I haven't directly tested it, that also with
                WMME you can get 24 bit sampling using the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure
                instead of the WAVEFORMATEX normally used with the waveInOpen API.
                If instead you use DirectX or KernelStreaming, then frankly I don't know.

                73 Alberto I2PHD
              • Lee Mairs
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                  >> Every HF radio with Digital display that I have ever seen change the
                  >> display when RIT is changed to reflect what frequency you are listening
                  >> to.
                  >
                  > I'm just changing it now, should go out in the next build.

                  The frequency displays on my IC 7561A and IC-781 do not change when the
                  RIT/XIT is changed. The Frequency Delta is displayed.

                  73 de Lee
                  KM4YY/8

                  >> OK, any idea when 24 bit will be supported?
                  >
                  > Don't know is the honest answer, as I don't have any hardware here that
                  > provides a 24 bit output through windows. What card did you have in mind?
                  >
                  >> The RIT and the CW center frequency do not affect the frequency
                  >> readout, they should. As you change those two items you are changing
                  >> what frequency you are tuned to, and the display should reflect that.
                  >
                  > Changing the CW centre frequency alters the frequency on the display.
                  > If you go into Options|Receiver, then the General tab you can watch it
                  > in action. Slide the options window away from the main window, you can
                  > change the CW centre freq and hit [Apply]. The filter will move, and
                  > the frequency will change too. On AM/SSB the frequency display shows
                  > the carrier frequency, on CW it shows the frequency of the 'carrier
                  > crystal' +/- the filter offset just like a real receiver.
                  >
                  >> Every HF radio with Digital display that I have ever seen change the
                  >> display when RIT is changed to reflect what frequency you are listening
                  >> to.
                  >
                  > I'm just changing it now, should go out in the next build.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Duncan Munro
                  > http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/

                • KD5NWA
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                    I have a Delta-44, I though you had one also. An inexpensive one is
                    the SB Live 24 it's about $30.

                    The authors of FlexSDR, Rocky, and SDRadio software support just
                    about any card, you may wish to see how they do it.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                      Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                      > Duncan Munro wrote:
                      >
                      >> > OK, any idea when 24 bit will be supported?
                      >>
                      >>Don't know is the honest answer, as I don't have any hardware here that
                      >>provides a 24 bit output through windows.
                      >

                      > If you have a Delta 44, you can use its ASIO drivers to get 24 bit sampling
                      > under Windows. I know for sure, as I have done it for my yet-to-be-released
                      > program. I have been told, but I haven't directly tested it, that also with
                      > WMME you can get 24 bit sampling using the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE structure
                      > instead of the WAVEFORMATEX normally used with the waveInOpen API.
                      > If instead you use DirectX or KernelStreaming, then frankly I don't know.

                      Hi Alberto, thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with WMME for now
                      because it operates with all soundcards and I'm not suffering from any
                      bad side-effects with it other than it wants to present >16bit cards as
                      32 bit.

                      Re: the Delta 44/66, the 32 bit option works fine and I'm getting the
                      full 96kHz/24bit rate from the card here. WAVEFORMATEX doesn't seem to
                      understand 24 bits, but it has no problem with 32.

                      Good luck with your new software.

                      --
                      Duncan Munro
                      http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                        KD5NWA wrote:

                        >Here is something else to consider.
                        >
                        >The RIT and the CW center frequency do not affect the frequency
                        >readout, they should. As you change those two items you are changing
                        >what frequency you are tuned to, and the display should reflect that.
                        >
                        >Every HF radio with Digital display that I have ever seen change the
                        >display when RIT is changed to reflect what frequency you are listening to.

                        My Icom IC-746 (and probably most of the current Icom stable) does NOT
                        change the frequency read out when RIT is engaged. I do have a separate
                        indication of the RIT offset on a sub display which is just what you get
                        on KGKSDR.
                        73

                        Norman
                        GM4KGK
                      • KD5NWA
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 2, 2006
                          Sorry to hear that, I guess you have to add the numbers, they aught
                          to do better.

                          I own Kenwood's and Yaesu's and they add it for you.