Battery power IS better. Photos prove it.

  • Bruce Beford
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
      Good Morning everyone.

      I have posted two more photos to the N1RX folder. These show
      the "noise spike" at the center frequency of a SoftRock-40. One
      shows the spectra obtained when the SR-40 is powered in the original
      fashion, from the USB port of the computer. This uses the original
      Q1 power filter circuit. The second photo shows the EXACT SAME SR-
      40, powered by bringing in external 5v, derived from a battery
      supply, using a 78L05 regulator.

      In both cases, the radio is operating on 40M, connected to a dipole
      antenna. The only change between the two was to unplug the card from
      the USB port, and connect the external power source using a couple
      of clip leads. It is clear that better performance can be obtained
      by using a seperate source of power for the SoftRock.

      For details on how to modify the SoftRock for non-computer power,
      see the appropriate photos in the N1RX folder.

      73,
      Bruce N1RX
    • Bruce Beford

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.

          I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
          difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
          a battery powered supply.

          Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
          a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
          source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
          using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
          40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
          Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.

          Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
          power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
          is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
          computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.

          73,
          Bruce N1RX
        • Stan Rife
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
            Message
                I got all three emails Bruce.

            Stan Rife
            W5EWA
            Houston, TX
            K2 S/N 4216

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
              What N1RX folder?

              Bill WB5TCO

              Bruce Beford wrote:

              > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server somehwere.
              >
              > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
              > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs using
              > a battery powered supply.
              >
              > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected to
              > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are the
              > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB port,
              > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME SR-
              > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a battery.
              > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
              >
              > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running from a
              > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery power
              > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
              > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
              >
              > 73,
              > Bruce N1RX

            • Bruce Beford
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
                Click on "Photos" link in the blue box on the left side of the
                screen in the softrock-40 group. You will be taken to the photos
                section. Click on the N1RX folder.
                -Bruce.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
                > What N1RX folder?
                >
                > Bill WB5TCO
                >
                > Bruce Beford wrote:
                >
                > > Apparently, my last message on this got lost in the server
                somehwere.

                > > I have uploaded two new photos to the N1RX folder that show the
                > > difference between powering the SoftRock from the USB port vs
                using
                > > a battery powered supply.
                > >
                > > Both photos show the central noise spike from an SR-40 connected
                > > a dipole antenna. The only difference between the two photos are
                the
                > > source of power. In the first, the SR-40 is powered by the USB
                port,
                > > using the standard Q1 power conditioner. In the second, the SAME
                SR-
                > > 40 is now powered by a 78L05 voltage regulator, driven by a
                battery.
                > > Notice the difference in the width of the central noise spike.
                > >
                > > Better performance from the SR-40 can be obtained by running
                from a
                > > power source OTHER than the USB port on the computer. Battery
                power
                > > is best. For details on how to modify the SoftRock to use non-
                > > computer power, see the other photos in the N1RX folder.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Bruce N1RX

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                of

                -------

              • Richard Gagnon
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@n...> wrote:
                  > What N1RX folder?
                  >
                  > Bill WB5TCO

                  Go to the Group and select Photos at the left side of the page. One of
                  the folders is N1RX. Click on it to open.

                  Richard