Fw: Fw: Re: [softrock40] Got my 5.0....Now what do I need?

  • windy10605@juno.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
      Excellent information, do you have close-up pictures of how the two are interconnected ? Grounding between the two boards, etc ?

      73 Kees K5BCQ

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
        Have you got the equipment to put the DDS-60 on a spectrum analyzer ? Maybe the LPF on the DDS is not correct ? It would work but be noisy. Better LPF (more elements) on the DDS ?

        73 Kees K5BCQ

        wrote:

        > Kees,
        >
        > The
        DDS-60 only arrived yesterday morning.  I built it up and have
        done
        > some initial testing of it standalone.  I am also checking out the
        Linux
        > code I have written to drive it.
        >
        > All being
        well,  I should be connecting it up to the SR 5.0 and
        testing

        it out over the next couple of days.

        > Will keep you
        informed.

        > Regards,
        >
        > John g0orx/n6lyt
        >

        > windy10605@j... wrote:
        > > John,
        > >
        > > Since you are using a DDS-60 with the SR 5.0 could you comment on
        how
        > > well it works, frequency range tested so far, spurs or
        other
        noise
        > > detected/generated, etc.
        > >
        > > 73 Kees K5BCQ

        BPF/OSC but I am using a DDS-60 instead of the Xtal
        Oscillator.

        > >     *  To unsubscribe from this group, send an
        email to:

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
        Yahoo! Terms of
        > >       Service <
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        ------

      • qrper723
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
          Kees,

          Thanks for reply.
          I will show you a photo later but there is no problem
          about the grounding.

          Now I'm cleaning my home...hi
          Wife calls me from downstaires.

          73.

          ja9mat hidehiko

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, windy10605@j... wrote:

          > Excellent information, do you have close-up pictures of how the two
          are
          > interconnected ? Grounding between the two boards, etc ?
          >
          > 73 Kees K5BCQ
        • qrper723
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
            Kees,

            I added the photo of my experimenting SRv5.

            http://www.geocities.jp/qrper72/srv5spurious.html

            Sorry but I have no Spectrum Analyzer and I connect the DDS-60 into
            a U2 #PIN2 of SRv5 directly...no LPF exists but only the DDS-60's
            LPF will do.

            But I don't understand that the spurious occures or not as I change
            the frequency of DDS. The spurious should occur constantly?

            73...hidehiko ja9mat

            Service.

          • Bill Tracey
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
              I think what you are seeing is normal and is a fact of life with DDS's --
              they will generate spurs, and they will be dependent on the frequency the
              DDS is set to. I don't claim to understand all the details of the
              mathematics behind it, but I believe the root cause of the spurs are
              essentially round off errors in the DAC in the DDS generating the sin
              wave. As the DDS produces the sin wave it only has so many bits (10? in
              the case of a 9851) to represent the current value of the sin wav. The
              round off error on these bits is the root cause of the spurs. There are
              frequencies you can tune the DDS to where the round off error is less than
              others, and you will get fewer spurs.

              This is not fatal for an SDR - we've got 30-40 khz of DDS tuning
              flexibility with an SDR, one just needs to find a spot where the DDS spurs
              are minimal and then tune appropriately in software. The current SDR 1000
              code has a spur reduction tuning algorithm that tunes to a minimal spur DDS
              point within about +/- 3khz of the desired DDS frequency and then varies
              the software tuning to compensate. This is based on some work Bob McGweir
              (N4HY) did to figure out where the minimal spur points for the SDR 1000's
              DDS are (a 9854 I believe). More aggressive spur dodging is possible by
              mapping out where the spurs actually are and use that data to pick DDS
              frequencies.

              Cheers,

              Bill (kd5tfd)

              At 10:42 PM 12/30/2005, qrper723 wrote:

              >But I don't understand that the spurious occures or not as I change
              >the frequency of DDS. The spurious should occur constantly?
              >
              >73...hidehiko ja9mat
            • John H. Fisher
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                Very Nice Work, and very nice pictures :-) Thanks for sharing. I bet one
                of these guys around here will have some answers for you :-)

                --
                Regards,
                John

                email: k5jhf@...
                photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
                call sign: K5JHF
              • qrper723
                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                  John,

                  Thanks for your help.
                  Waiting for suggestions from you and your friends...

                  hidehiko ja9mat

                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                    Bill,

                    Thanks for information.
                    I feel good now and I can understand why the spurious occurs.
                    It's the characteristics of DDS isn't it?

                    I will measure the DDS spectrum using SRv4 when its frequency set
                    to the fundamental (ex;7040KHz).
                    The same spectrum occurs,it is not the problem of SRv5.

                    BTW...

                    You are right.
                    I'm enjoying SRv5 this morning where a fewer spurious frequency.
                    It's easy to tune to the less spurious area in an each band.
                    So it is not a fatal problem for me.

                    Great tiny radio both SRv4 and SRv5!

                    73, hidehiko ja9mat

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@a...> wrote:

                    > I think what you are seeing is normal and is a fact of life with
                    DDS's --
                    > they will generate spurs, and they will be dependent on the
                    frequency the
                    > DDS is set to. I don't claim to understand all the details of the
                    > mathematics behind it, but I believe the root cause of the spurs
                    are
                    > essentially round off errors in the DAC in the DDS generating the
                    sin
                    > wave. As the DDS produces the sin wave it only has so many bits
                    (10? in
                    > the case of a 9851) to represent the current value of the sin wav.
                    The
                    > round off error on these bits is the root cause of the spurs.
                    There are
                    > frequencies you can tune the DDS to where the round off error is
                    less than
                    > others, and you will get fewer spurs.
                    >
                    > This is not fatal for an SDR - we've got 30-40 khz of DDS tuning
                    > flexibility with an SDR, one just needs to find a spot where the
                    DDS spurs
                    > are minimal and then tune appropriately in software. The current
                    SDR 1000
                    > code has a spur reduction tuning algorithm that tunes to a minimal
                    spur DDS
                    > point within about +/- 3khz of the desired DDS frequency and then
                    varies
                    > the software tuning to compensate. This is based on some work Bob
                    McGweir
                    > (N4HY) did to figure out where the minimal spur points for the SDR
                    1000's
                    > DDS are (a 9854 I believe). More aggressive> spur dodging is
                    possible by
                    > mapping out where the spurs actually are and use that data to pick
                    DDS
                    > frequencies.

                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Bill (kd5tfd)
                    >
                    > At 10:42 PM 12/30/2005, qrper723 wrote:
                    >
                    > >But I don't understand that the spurious occures or not as I change
                    > >the frequency of DDS. The spurious should occur constantly?
                    > >
                    > >73...hidehiko ja9mat

                  • qrper723
                    Message 9 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                      The result is as follows;

                      http://www.geocities.jp/qrper72/srv5spurious.html

                      No suprious has been seen at the 7040KHz with using Softrock40 +
                      DDS 30/60.

                      Suprious only occurs with Softrock V5 + DDS30/60 @ 7040KHz.

                      I don't know whether the DDS or SRv5 has a problem...hi

                      Hidehiko ja9mat

                      Message 10 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                        When running with the V4 is the DDS running at 4x the freq tuned? If
                        so you'd not see the same spurs with a V5 since the DDS would be set to 1x
                        the freq of interest. Or am I missing something about you v4 vs v5
                        comparison?

                        Cheers,

                        Bill (kd5tfd)

                        Message 11 of 27 , Dec 30, 2005
                          Bill,

                          Exactly I tuned the DDS at 1x7040KHz with Softrock-40(SRv4) not
                          x4 freq.

                          I expect that the same spurious occurs as the SRv5@7040KHz,
                          but I did not see that.

                          SRv4's spectrum is clear! Hi...

                          Hidehiko ja9mat

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Tracey <kd5tfd@a...> wrote:

                          > When running with the V4 is the DDS running at 4x the freq
                          tuned? If
                          > so you'd not see the same spurs with a V5 since the DDS would be
                          set to 1x
                          > the freq of interest. Or am I missing something about you v4 vs v5
                          > comparison?
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Bill (kd5tfd)
                          >
                          > At 12:40 AM 12/31/2005, qrper723 wrote:
                          >
                          > >The result is as follows;
                          > >

                          ><http://www.geocities.jp/qrper72/srv5spurious.html>http://www.geociti
                          es.jp/qrper72/srv5spurious.html

                          > >No suprious has been seen at the 7040KHz with using Softrock40 +
                          > >DDS 30/60.
                          > >
                          > >Suprious only occurs with Softrock V5 + DDS30/60 @ 7040KHz.
                          > >
                          > >I don't know whether the DDS or SRv5 has a problem...hi
                          > >
                          > >Hidehiko ja9mat
                          > >
                          > > > I will measure the DDS spectrum using SRv4 when its frequency
                          set
                          > > > to the fundamental (ex;7040KHz).
                          > > > The same spectrum occurs,it is not the problem of SRv5.

                        • Leon Heller
                          Message 12 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                              Hi Hidehiko,

                              Very nice work you are doing to interface a DDS to several versions of the
                              SoftRock. One thing that would be good to check is to actually look at the
                              voltage comparitor output waveforms with a scope to see if there is a lot of
                              jitter on the switching edges at certain DDS frequency settings. Also with
                              the v5.0 SoftRock with the DDS set to 7.040 MHz, what is the actual
                              frequency the QSD cloking frequency?

                              I am enjoying following the experiments people are doing with the little
                              SoftRock receivers.

                              73,
                              Tony KB9YIG

                              > No suprious has been seen at the 7040KHz with using Softrock40 +
                              > DDS 30/60.
                              >
                              > Suprious only occurs with Softrock V5 + DDS30/60 @ 7040KHz.
                              >
                              > I don't know whether the DDS or SRv5 has a problem...hi
                              >
                              > Hidehiko ja9mat
                              >
                              >> I will measure the DDS spectrum using SRv4 when its frequency set
                              >> to the fundamental (ex;7040KHz).
                              >> The same spectrum occurs,it is not the problem of SRv5.
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • qrper723
                              Message 14 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                Tony,

                                Hi,
                                Thanks for your interest.

                                How can I measure the jitter of DDS?
                                Maybe PIN #7 of U2 and U3 with scope or not?

                                Hidehiko ja9mat

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@c...> wrote:

                                > Hi Hidehiko,
                                >
                                > Very nice work you are doing to interface a DDS to several versions
                                of the
                                > SoftRock. One thing that would be good to check is to actually
                                look at the
                                > voltage comparitor output waveforms with a scope to see if there is
                                a lot of
                                > jitter on the switching edges at certain DDS frequency settings.
                                Also with
                                > the v5.0 SoftRock with the DDS set to 7.040 MHz, what is the actual
                                > frequency the QSD cloking frequency?
                                >
                                > I am enjoying following the experiments people are doing with the
                                little
                                > SoftRock receivers.
                                >
                                > 73,
                                > Tony KB9YIG

                                I need?

                                > > The result is as follows;
                                > >
                                > > http://www.geocities.jp/qrper72/srv5spurious.html
                                > >
                                > > No suprious has been seen at the 7040KHz with using Softrock40 +
                                > > DDS 30/60.
                                > >
                                > > Suprious only occurs with Softrock V5 + DDS30/60 @ 7040KHz.
                                > >
                                > > I don't know whether the DDS or SRv5 has a problem...hi
                                > >
                                > > Hidehiko ja9mat
                                > >
                                > >> I will measure the DDS spectrum using SRv4 when its frequency
                                set
                                > >> to the fundamental (ex;7040KHz).
                                > >> The same spectrum occurs,it is not the problem of SRv5.
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Tony Parks
                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                  Pin 7 of U2 and U3 would be right. Those pins connect to the header at pins
                                  5 and 8. Use the U2 output as the scope trigger signal and observe the
                                  edges of the U2 and U3 outputs. Please let us know what you see.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Tony KB9YIG

                                  > Maybe PIN #7 of U2 and U3 with scope or not?
                                  >
                                  > Hidehiko ja9mat
                                  >

                                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@c...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Hi Hidehiko,
                                  >>
                                  >> Very nice work you are doing to interface a DDS to several versions
                                  > of the
                                  >> SoftRock. One thing that would be good to check is to actually
                                  > look at the
                                  >> voltage comparitor output waveforms with a scope to see if there is
                                  > a lot of
                                  >> jitter on the switching edges at certain DDS frequency settings.
                                  > Also with
                                  >> the v5.0 SoftRock with the DDS set to 7.040 MHz, what is the actual
                                  >> frequency the QSD cloking frequency?
                                  >>
                                  >> I am enjoying following the experiments people are doing with the
                                  > little
                                  >> SoftRock receivers.
                                  >>
                                  >> 73,
                                  >> Tony KB9YIG

                                • qrper723
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                    Tony,

                                    Thanks for help.
                                    I will see that and some photos will be upload to my website later.

                                    Have a nice new year!

                                    hidehiko ja9mat

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                      I'm a little confused here. I thought the SRv4 had to be clocked at 4
                                      times the desired receive frequency. The SRv5 is clocked at the desired
                                      receive frequency. So to compare spurs at the same desired receive
                                      frequency, I would think the SRv4 DDS must be set at 28160 KHz to
                                      receive 7040 KHz. For the SRv5 the DDS must be set at 7040 KHz to
                                      receive 7040 KHz. Correct me if I am wrong :-)

                                      Also I see this as another plus for the SRv4 design. It moves the spurs
                                      way up in frequency and I like the 3db gain of using 4 capacitors for
                                      differential quadrature sampling :-) Being a pure digital man, I plan on
                                      using the SRv4 approach. That's my extra 2 cents :-)

                                      Have a Great Day and Happy New Year,

                                      Regards,
                                      John

                                      PS Thanks to Bill Tracey for his rounding error discussion of spurs :-)

                                      -
                                      Regards,
                                      John

                                      email: k5jhf@...
                                      photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                                      files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                                      web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
                                      call sign: K5JHF
                                    • dmcmicro
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                        There is an interesting post in the Spectrum Analyizer group regarding
                                        DDS spurs. This may go beyond what you are looking for but thought I'd
                                        bring it up. In particular, Brian Davis commented on some work he did
                                        with repsect to the DDS that is used in the Spectrum Analyizer being
                                        build in that group. I'm not sure of how wide the distribution of the
                                        document is, but Brian has a real interesting write up on spurs. The
                                        message of interest is:

                                        You may have to join the group to view this topic.

                                        Dave
                                      • Alberto I2PHD
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 31, 2005
                                          An interesting comparison between the spurs produced by DDSs of the 98xx family
                                          against those of the 99xx family can be found here :
                                          http://www.radioamatore.it/i0cg/add9951.html

                                          I have bought that DDS board and plan to use it in the future for my SDR.
                                          It even has a function that optionally displays a frequency value one fourth
                                          of what actually is generated, to take into account a possible use of
                                          a Johnson counter for I/Q generation.

                                          73 Alberto I2PHD
                                          -------------------------------------

                                          dmcmicro wrote:
                                          > There is an interesting post in the Spectrum Analyizer group regarding
                                          > DDS spurs.
                                          > [snip]
                                        • S. Cash Olsen
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 1, 2006
                                            Bill and group,

                                            A fellow named Brian Davis has put together a very interesting document
                                            on spur pile-up in the DDS. If your interested in some of the dirty
                                            details of the DDS you might be interested in the following reference:

                                            http://members.aol.com/fpgastuff/dds_oddities.pdf

                                            Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ

                                            Kits to build Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer http://www.zianet.com/erg
                                            Scotty's Spectrum Analyzer website http://users4.ev1.net/%7Ewsprowls/

                                            I think what you are seeing is normal and is a fact of life with DDS's
                                            --
                                            they will generate spurs, and they will be dependent on the frequency
                                            the
                                            DDS is set to. I don't claim to understand all the details of the
                                            mathematics behind it, but I believe the root cause of the spurs are
                                            essentially round off errors in the DAC in the DDS generating the sin
                                            wave. As the DDS produces the sin wave it only has so many bits (10? in

                                            the case of a 9851) to represent the current value of the sin wav. The
                                            round off error on these bits is the root cause of the spurs. There are

                                            frequencies you can tune the DDS to where the round off error is less
                                            than
                                            others, and you will get fewer spurs.

                                            This is not fatal for an SDR - we've got 30-40 khz of DDS tuning
                                            flexibility with an SDR, one just needs to find a spot where the DDS
                                            spurs
                                            are minimal and then tune appropriately in software. The current SDR
                                            1000
                                            code has a spur reduction tuning algorithm that tunes to a minimal spur
                                            DDS
                                            point within about +/- 3khz of the desired DDS frequency and then varies

                                            the software tuning to compensate. This is based on some work Bob
                                            McGweir
                                            (N4HY) did to figure out where the minimal spur points for the SDR
                                            1000's
                                            DDS are (a 9854 I believe). More aggressive spur dodging is possible
                                            by
                                            mapping out where the spurs actually are and use that data to pick DDS
                                            frequencies.

                                            Cheers,

                                            Bill (kd5tfd)

                                            At 10:42 PM 12/30/2005, qrper723 wrote:

                                            >But I don't understand that the spurious occures or not as I change the

                                            >frequency of DDS. The spurious should occur constantly?
                                            >
                                            >73...hidehiko ja9mat

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          • qrper723
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 1, 2006
                                              Cash,

                                              Thanks for your info.
                                              I find that the DDS is not clean.
                                              I will study more in this new year holidays.

                                              I wish to express my gratitude for introducing literary treasures.

                                              hidehiko ja9mat

                                              > Bill and group,
                                              >
                                              > A fellow named Brian Davis has put together a very interesting
                                              document
                                              > on spur pile-up in the DDS. If your interested in some of the dirty
                                              > details of the DDS you might be interested in the following reference:
                                              >
                                              > http://members.aol.com/fpgastuff/dds_oddities.pdf
                                              >

                                              > Cash Olsen, KD5SSJ
                                            • Bill Dumke
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 1, 2006
                                                Thanks, Cash, for the link.

                                                That looks so bad, I feel like going back to a Tuned Radio Frequency
                                                receiver.

                                                Bill WB5TCO

                                              • Bill Dumke
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 1, 2006
                                                  Alberto,

                                                  Where did you buy the AD9951 board?

                                                  Bill WB5TCO

                                                  Alberto I2PHD wrote:

                                                  > An interesting comparison between the spurs produced by DDSs of the
                                                  > 98xx family
                                                  > against those of the 99xx family can be found here :
                                                  > http://www.radioamatore.it/i0cg/add9951.html
                                                  >
                                                  > I have bought that DDS board and plan to use it in the future for my SDR.
                                                  > It even has a function that optionally displays a frequency value one
                                                  > fourth
                                                  > of what actually is generated, to take into account a possible use of
                                                  > a Johnson counter for I/Q generation.
                                                  >
                                                  > 73 Alberto I2PHD
                                                  > -------------------------------------
                                                  >
                                                  > dmcmicro wrote:
                                                  > > There is an interesting post in the Spectrum Analyizer group regarding
                                                  > > DDS spurs.
                                                  > > [snip]

                                                • Alberto I2PHD
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                    Bill Dumke wrote:
                                                    > Alberto,
                                                    >
                                                    > Where did you buy the AD9951 board?
                                                    >
                                                    > Bill WB5TCO

                                                    Bill, if you go to the page I referred to in my message, that is:
                                                    http://www.radioamatore.it/i0cg/add9951.html

                                                    at the end of the page you will find this sentence:

                                                    If intersted to this project please write to giulianori@...

                                                    Just do that. Ask for the PDF with the price list. You can buy the kit
                                                    in various forms, PCB only, mechanical or optical encoder, cased or not
                                                    cased, etc. etc.
                                                    I bought it assembled, cased and tested, and received it in a couple of
                                                    weeks. Now I have to find a way to discipline its clock with a GPS...

                                                    73 Alberto I2PHD
                                                  • Bill Dumke
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                      Alberto,

                                                      I already did that, but haven't heard a response back. I will be patient.

                                                      Bill WB5TCO

                                                      Alberto I2PHD wrote:

                                                      >Bill Dumke wrote:
                                                      >

                                                      >>Alberto,
                                                      >>
                                                      >>Where did you buy the AD9951 board?
                                                      >>
                                                      >>Bill WB5TCO
                                                      >>

                                                      > Bill, if you go to the page I referred to in my message, that is:
                                                      >http://www.radioamatore.it/i0cg/add9951.html
                                                      >
                                                      >at the end of the page you will find this sentence:
                                                      >
                                                      > If intersted to this project please write to giulianori@...
                                                      >
                                                      >Just do that. Ask for the PDF with the price list. You can buy the kit
                                                      >in various forms, PCB only, mechanical or optical encoder, cased or not
                                                      >cased, etc. etc.
                                                      >I bought it assembled, cased and tested, and received it in a couple of
                                                      >weeks. Now I have to find a way to discipline its clock with a GPS...
                                                      >
                                                      >73 Alberto I2PHD
                                                      >

                                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                    • Alberto I2PHD
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                        Bill Dumke wrote:
                                                        > Alberto,
                                                        >
                                                        > I already did that, but haven't heard a response back. I will be patient.
                                                        >
                                                        > Bill WB5TCO

                                                        Maybe he hasn't received your email. Try again. In the meantime I will send you
                                                        in a private message the price list PDF that I received when buying the kit.

                                                        73 Alberto I2PHD
                                                      • Duncan Munro
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 2, 2006
                                                          Alberto I2PHD wrote:
                                                          > Bill Dumke wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          >>Alberto,
                                                          >>
                                                          >>I already did that, but haven't heard a response back. I will be patient.
                                                          >>
                                                          >>Bill WB5TCO
                                                          >>

                                                          > Maybe he hasn't received your email. Try again. In the meantime I will send you
                                                          > in a private message the price list PDF that I received when buying the kit.

                                                          Alberto, I also sent a request for prices - would you be good enough to
                                                          mail me too?

                                                          --
                                                          Duncan Munro
                                                          http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/