Re: The Outer Limits

  • henkkeppel
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      Dear fellow hams,
      What is all this stuff about a PIC32?
      I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you
      can buy it for $32 which is attractive for me.
      But what can I do with it in relation with the softrock40 program?
      And what is already achieved in relation with that?

      One other topic: Please can you arrange a splinter Internet meeting to
      discuss which operating system is the best?
      I think there are enough fora where everyone can drop his knowledge
      about this subject.

      Have fun, Henk, PA0KEP.
    • Tom Hoflich
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

        > At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
        >
        > >The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose
        > >FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
        > >It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
        > >Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.
        > >
        > >Found on:
        >
        ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571
        > >
        > >And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz:
        >
        ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952
        >
        > >(there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
        > >site).
        >
        > Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they
        > charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my
        >
        > state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up
        >
        > paying a lot higher prices.
        >
        > I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the
        >
        > revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are
        >
        > not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with
        > people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from
        > Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them
        >
        > that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make
        > sure
        > they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an
        > email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake
        > and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.
        >

        > Cecil
        > K5NWA

        I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on
        every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the
        sales tax for my zip code is 5.4%. They insist on charging me 9%
        which is for town in another county. I think that they use the
        highest tax in each 5 digit zip code. If it is less, they pocket the
        difference.
        If I don't get the difference back, I lose money.
        Maybe, I should suggest that I am contacting the state and see if
        their toon changes.

        Tom KM5H