Re: SD Software?

  • Alberto I2PHD
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
      "Bob Macklin" rottenrobbie0@... k5myj wrote:

      > A couple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
      > software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
      > update Windows again.

      There is a version of Winrad that is still compatible with Windows 98. It is V1.23
      From that version on, I started using features of the operating system that were present only in XP an not in W98, but
      I kept that version frozen and available to all those who still run W98. Of course it has less features than more recent
      versions, but that is a price that must be payed in exchange for backwards compatibility.

      You can find it on Web site http://www.weaksignals.com

      73 Alberto I2PHD
    • Marcus Geselle
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
        Hmm,

        I don't want this to become another "my OS can beat your OS hands down"
        type of discussion.

        Just an opinion:
        Linux is a mature OS -- it's cleanly designed (almost as clean as BSD)
        and stable.
        Whether Linux-based desktop systems (i.e. OS + lots of other software)
        have reached
        any kind of maturity is still open for discussion -- as a server system
        it is doing a good job.

        What is hurting the amateur (not only radio) communities most is that many
        hardware manufacturers do not provide Linux drivers and do not publish
        details
        about their hardware which would allow third parties to create hardware
        drivers
        for Linux.

        Professionally, I am using Linux (and UNIX systems) quite a lot. For
        those of my hobbies which
        depend on computers (astronomy and, of course, ham radio) I moved back from
        Linux to windoze, because I got fed up with chasing up drivers or even
        hacking existing
        drivers to make them work with the kernel version du jour.

        Just my EUR 0,02.

        Cheers,
        Marcus -- DL7GEM
      • Ray
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

          Hi Bill,

          I agree that the big guns need and offer LINUX, Burroughs/UNISYS also offers it on the ES7000 and a few mainframes and it is a superior OS in the big machine arena.  I participated in qualification testing of LINUX on the ES7000 and it was very easy to port onto a 32 way Intel platform with a custom memory and I/O chip set.  I didn’t mean to give the impression that it was less of an OS, it is just that I don’t think into will make it into the average household anytime soon.

          73, Ray, N0FY

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
            Ray,

            I knew Burroughs offered Unix, but didn't know they also had a Linux offering. My Unix training was done at Penn State's Great Valley Campus at Valley Forge, PA. One of my instructors was a Unisys, actually Sperry, old timer who supported Unix on their various systems.

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

              Hi Bill,  There are several sites that talk to the ES7000 capability and LINUX.  Here is one http://esj.com/enterprise/article.aspx?EditorialsID=1074   I was very proud and thankful that I had a chance to work with this system – I started on the project 1997 and we delivered 1st piece  1999.  It is an amazing mix of  capabilities and includes LINUX as one of the primary platforms.  Interestingly it can run several different OSs concurrently with dynamic partitioning on an INTEL platform and exceeds mainframe performance.

              It was my last job with UNISYS and I elected to leave the company rather than move to California and spend most of my time with off-shore manufacturing.  I really would have liked to stay with the project but family comes first.

              73, Ray, N0FY

[...]

              size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

> [...]

              But, I also have a working IBM 5-slot computer, and a spare.

              And, I have a working IMSAI CP/M system with Heath H19 terminal, and
              8-inch drives. I boot CP/M and run Wordstar every once in a while.
              How about a nice game of chess? Or the CP/M user-group Adventure?

              I also have two Altair 8800s, and an Altair turnkey (no front panel),
              plus a bunch of S100 boards. No power to them in about three years.

              I don't expect these computers to run SDR software either.

              And, I can still erase and burn 1702A to 2764 EPROMS. Go figure.

              Don't get me started with software. From CP/M, to DOS 1.x to 4.x, to
              the original flight simulator. I even had the paper tapes for Altair
              4k and 8k Basic. Anybody remember Lattice C, or Run-C? Or the CP/M
              Pascal?

              But native SDR on a 4MHz Z80? Probably as likely as on a 266MHz 486.

            • Clive Wallis
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                Bob K5MJY wrote -

                >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                >update Windows again.

                My first success was with Alberto's WinRad program. I used it initially
                because my XP machine had an unsuitable sound card. It's a nice
                program and worked well on Win98. It's available from Alberto's web
                site www.weaksignals.com

                Clive G3CWV

                Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.