Re: [softrock40] Re: The Outer Limits

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

      The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
      It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
      Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

      Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

      And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
      site).

      Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up paying a lot higher prices.

      I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make sure they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

    • henkkeppel
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear fellow hams,
        What is all this stuff about a PIC32?
        I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you
        can buy it for $32 which is attractive for me.
        But what can I do with it in relation with the softrock40 program?
        And what is already achieved in relation with that?

        One other topic: Please can you arrange a splinter Internet meeting to
        discuss which operating system is the best?
        I think there are enough fora where everyone can drop his knowledge
        about this subject.

        Have fun, Henk, PA0KEP.
      • Tom Hoflich
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

          > At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
          >
          > >The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose
          > >FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
          > >It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
          > >Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.
          > >
          > >Found on:
          >
          ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571
          > >
          > >And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz:
          >
          ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952
          >
          > >(there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
          > >site).
          >
          > Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they
          > charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my
          >
          > state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up
          >
          > paying a lot higher prices.
          >
          > I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the
          >
          > revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are
          >
          > not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with
          > people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from
          > Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them
          >
          > that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make
          > sure
          > they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an
          > email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake
          > and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.
          >

          > Cecil
          > K5NWA

          I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on
          every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the
          sales tax for my zip code is 5.4%. They insist on charging me 9%
          which is for town in another county. I think that they use the
          highest tax in each 5 digit zip code. If it is less, they pocket the
          difference.
          If I don't get the difference back, I lose money.
          Maybe, I should suggest that I am contacting the state and see if
          their toon changes.

          Tom KM5H