Re: [softrock40] Re: The Outer Limits

  • Paul Theunissen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
      It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
      Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

      Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

      And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip site).

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

      At 08:52 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

      >Cecil;
      >
      >If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the
      >connector for the small development board to the buy.
      >It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair
      >price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.
      >Greets,
      >Paul

      I'll save it and will consider it if there is sufficient demand. What
      kind of connector is it? A Rose connector to an expansion board? I
      bought a Pic32 development board but it's put away until I have time
      to play with it, it has a lot of resources on the board good for some
      DSP experiments.

      Keeping track of all the items on order is a real pain that is why I
      only did items with high volume, but I'm taking steps to facilitate
      that process so possibly I could add items that have only a small volume.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

        The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
        It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
        Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

        Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

        And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
        site).

        Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up paying a lot higher prices.

        I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make sure they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

      • henkkeppel
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          Dear fellow hams,
          What is all this stuff about a PIC32?
          I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you
          can buy it for $32 which is attractive for me.
          But what can I do with it in relation with the softrock40 program?
          And what is already achieved in relation with that?

          One other topic: Please can you arrange a splinter Internet meeting to
          discuss which operating system is the best?
          I think there are enough fora where everyone can drop his knowledge
          about this subject.

          Have fun, Henk, PA0KEP.
        • Tom Hoflich
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

            > At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
            >
            > >The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose
            > >FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
            > >It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
            > >Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.
            > >
            > >Found on:
            >
            ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571
            > >
            > >And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz:
            >
            ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952
            >
            > >(there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
            > >site).
            >
            > Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they
            > charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my
            >
            > state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up
            >
            > paying a lot higher prices.
            >
            > I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the
            >
            > revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are
            >
            > not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with
            > people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from
            > Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them
            >
            > that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make
            > sure
            > they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an
            > email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake
            > and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.
            >

            > Cecil
            > K5NWA

            I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on
            every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the
            sales tax for my zip code is 5.4%. They insist on charging me 9%
            which is for town in another county. I think that they use the
            highest tax in each 5 digit zip code. If it is less, they pocket the
            difference.
            If I don't get the difference back, I lose money.
            Maybe, I should suggest that I am contacting the state and see if
            their toon changes.

            Tom KM5H