Re: [softrock40] Re: The Outer Limits

  • Paul Theunissen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
      Cecil;

      If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the connector for the small development board to the buy.
      It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.

      Microchip still has no extender, tough it is rumored to be available very soon now...

      Greets,
      Paul

      On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

      At 08:14 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

      >Wow, that's wonderful news, Bob. I have been eyeballing the I and Q
      >signals this morning, and I can't make heads nor tails of them :-) So
      >it's back to the theory :-) Somehow I've got to understand this
      >mathematically. Looking at them doesn't make any sense. But I'm having
      >fun and the chase is on. We may well prove here that 16 bits and 40 MIPS
      >is fast enough or NOT. That would be fine with me. All along people have
      >been saying we need more horsepower. I don't doubt that at all. So
      >that's the first question to answer :-)
      >
      >--
      >Regards,
      >John

      And if that doesn't have enough power and you like PIC's there is the
      PIC32, 32 bits MIPS based and really inexpensive and low power. A
      really nice development board is only $49.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • John H. Fisher
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
        Yes, indeed, I have one thanks to John Massa our Microchip consultant.
        Microchip has been very supportive of our Amateur Radio efforts here in
        Austin. They have provided 3 hockey pucks for the SDR development and
        the NUE-PSK development. I'm definitely eyeballing the PIC32 and I
        understand from the forum that the Fanout board for that tight connector
        is coming soon :-) The PIC32 A/D is 10 bits though. I'm also eyeballing
        the AVR xmega and 32 bit chips. I have also been exploring all the ARM
        varieties. Those tools can be expensive though. It's a tough call but it
        must be cheap, have debugging, and a reasonable (GCC) compiler. All of
        that exists, but it's a slow learning curve for me at 61. However that's
        why I keep bugging the lists to hopefully get some new young whipper
        snapper's interested :-) Thanks for letting me rant :-)

        --
        Regards,
        John

        email: k5jhf@...
        photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/k5jhf/sets/
        videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=k5jhf
        files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
        web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
        call sign: K5JHF
      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
          At 08:52 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

          >Cecil;
          >
          >If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the
          >connector for the small development board to the buy.
          >It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair
          >price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.
          >Greets,
          >Paul

          I'll save it and will consider it if there is sufficient demand. What
          kind of connector is it? A Rose connector to an expansion board? I
          bought a Pic32 development board but it's put away until I have time
          to play with it, it has a lot of resources on the board good for some
          DSP experiments.

          Keeping track of all the items on order is a real pain that is why I
          only did items with high volume, but I'm taking steps to facilitate
          that process so possibly I could add items that have only a small volume.

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
            The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
            It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
            Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

            Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

            And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip site).

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
              At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

              The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
              It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
              Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

              Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

              And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
              site).

              Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up paying a lot higher prices.

              I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make sure they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

            • henkkeppel
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                Dear fellow hams,
                What is all this stuff about a PIC32?
                I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you
                can buy it for $32 which is attractive for me.
                But what can I do with it in relation with the softrock40 program?
                And what is already achieved in relation with that?

                One other topic: Please can you arrange a splinter Internet meeting to
                discuss which operating system is the best?
                I think there are enough fora where everyone can drop his knowledge
                about this subject.

                Have fun, Henk, PA0KEP.
              • Tom Hoflich
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2008
                  --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                  > At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose
                  > >FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
                  > >It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
                  > >Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.
                  > >
                  > >Found on:
                  >
                  ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571
                  > >
                  > >And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz:
                  >
                  ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952
                  >
                  > >(there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
                  > >site).
                  >
                  > Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they
                  > charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my
                  >
                  > state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up
                  >
                  > paying a lot higher prices.
                  >
                  > I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the
                  >
                  > revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are
                  >
                  > not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with
                  > people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from
                  > Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them
                  >
                  > that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make
                  > sure
                  > they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an
                  > email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake
                  > and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.
                  >

                  > Cecil
                  > K5NWA

                  I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on
                  every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the
                  sales tax for my zip code is 5.4%. They insist on charging me 9%
                  which is for town in another county. I think that they use the
                  highest tax in each 5 digit zip code. If it is less, they pocket the
                  difference.
                  If I don't get the difference back, I lose money.
                  Maybe, I should suggest that I am contacting the state and see if
                  their toon changes.

                  Tom KM5H