Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: The Outer Limits

Expand Messages
  • John H. Fisher
    Wow, that s wonderful news, Bob. I have been eyeballing the I and Q signals this morning, and I can t make heads nor tails of them :-) So it s back to the
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 6:14 AM
      Wow, that's wonderful news, Bob. I have been eyeballing the I and Q
      signals this morning, and I can't make heads nor tails of them :-) So
      it's back to the theory :-) Somehow I've got to understand this
      mathematically. Looking at them doesn't make any sense. But I'm having
      fun and the chase is on. We may well prove here that 16 bits and 40 MIPS
      is fast enough or NOT. That would be fine with me. All along people have
      been saying we need more horsepower. I don't doubt that at all. So
      that's the first question to answer :-)

      Bob Hillard wrote:
      > John,
      >
      > Do you remember that TV show from the nifty fiftys?
      >
      > Well I added another digit to the left tonight, and now I can hear the
      > oscillator on my 70cm rig. In fact, I ran it up as high as 500 mHz,
      > and could read it on my counter. Tomorrow I'll see just how high I can
      > get it. Maybe I can make it to the Outer Limits!!
      >
      > Bob

      --
      Regards,
      John

      =========================================================
      email: k5jhf@...
      photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/k5jhf/sets/
      videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=k5jhf
      files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
      web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
      call sign: K5JHF
      =========================================================
    • k5nwa
      ... And if that doesn t have enough power and you like PIC s there is the PIC32, 32 bits MIPS based and really inexpensive and low power. A really nice
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1 6:49 AM
        At 08:14 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

        >Wow, that's wonderful news, Bob. I have been eyeballing the I and Q
        >signals this morning, and I can't make heads nor tails of them :-) So
        >it's back to the theory :-) Somehow I've got to understand this
        >mathematically. Looking at them doesn't make any sense. But I'm having
        >fun and the chase is on. We may well prove here that 16 bits and 40 MIPS
        >is fast enough or NOT. That would be fine with me. All along people have
        >been saying we need more horsepower. I don't doubt that at all. So
        >that's the first question to answer :-)
        >
        >--
        >Regards,
        >John

        And if that doesn't have enough power and you like PIC's there is the
        PIC32, 32 bits MIPS based and really inexpensive and low power. A
        really nice development board is only $49.



        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

        "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
      • Paul Theunissen
        Cecil; If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the connector for the small development board to the buy. It is hard to come by (didn t find it
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1 6:52 AM
          Cecil;

          If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the connector for the small development board to the buy.
          It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.

          Microchip still has no extender, tough it is rumored to be available very soon now...

          Greets,
          Paul



          On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 3:49 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

          At 08:14 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

          >Wow, that's wonderful news, Bob. I have been eyeballing the I and Q
          >signals this morning, and I can't make heads nor tails of them :-) So
          >it's back to the theory :-) Somehow I've got to understand this
          >mathematically. Looking at them doesn't make any sense. But I'm having
          >fun and the chase is on. We may well prove here that 16 bits and 40 MIPS
          >is fast enough or NOT. That would be fine with me. All along people have
          >been saying we need more horsepower. I don't doubt that at all. So
          >that's the first question to answer :-)
          >
          >--
          >Regards,
          >John

          And if that doesn't have enough power and you like PIC's there is the
          PIC32, 32 bits MIPS based and really inexpensive and low power. A
          really nice development board is only $49.

          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

          "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."


        • John H. Fisher
          Yes, indeed, I have one thanks to John Massa our Microchip consultant. Microchip has been very supportive of our Amateur Radio efforts here in Austin. They
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 7:02 AM
            Yes, indeed, I have one thanks to John Massa our Microchip consultant.
            Microchip has been very supportive of our Amateur Radio efforts here in
            Austin. They have provided 3 hockey pucks for the SDR development and
            the NUE-PSK development. I'm definitely eyeballing the PIC32 and I
            understand from the forum that the Fanout board for that tight connector
            is coming soon :-) The PIC32 A/D is 10 bits though. I'm also eyeballing
            the AVR xmega and 32 bit chips. I have also been exploring all the ARM
            varieties. Those tools can be expensive though. It's a tough call but it
            must be cheap, have debugging, and a reasonable (GCC) compiler. All of
            that exists, but it's a slow learning curve for me at 61. However that's
            why I keep bugging the lists to hopefully get some new young whipper
            snapper's interested :-) Thanks for letting me rant :-)

            k5nwa wrote:
            >
            > At 08:14 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
            >
            >
            >
            > And if that doesn't have enough power and you like PIC's there is the
            > PIC32, 32 bits MIPS based and really inexpensive and low power. A
            > really nice development board is only $49.
            >
            > Cecil
            > K5NWA
            > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
            >
            > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
            >
            >

            --
            Regards,
            John

            =========================================================
            email: k5jhf@...
            photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/k5jhf/sets/
            videos: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=k5jhf
            files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
            web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
            call sign: K5JHF
            =========================================================
          • k5nwa
            ... I ll save it and will consider it if there is sufficient demand. What kind of connector is it? A Rose connector to an expansion board? I bought a Pic32
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 7:37 AM
              At 08:52 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

              >Cecil;
              >
              >If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the
              >connector for the small development board to the buy.
              >It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair
              >price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.
              >Greets,
              >Paul

              I'll save it and will consider it if there is sufficient demand. What
              kind of connector is it? A Rose connector to an expansion board? I
              bought a Pic32 development board but it's put away until I have time
              to play with it, it has a lot of resources on the board good for some
              DSP experiments.

              Keeping track of all the items on order is a real pain that is why I
              only did items with high volume, but I'm taking steps to facilitate
              that process so possibly I could add items that have only a small volume.



              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

              "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
            • Paul Theunissen
              The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1. It s mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV. Digikey s part # for it is
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 8:10 AM
                The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
                It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
                Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

                Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

                And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip site).





                On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                At 08:52 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

                >Cecil;
                >
                >If you are thinking of a next buy, could you perhaps add the
                >connector for the small development board to the buy.
                >It is hard to come by (didn't find it yet in europe for a fair
                >price), and if we buy 10 in the US it already gets cheaper.
                >Greets,
                >Paul

                I'll save it and will consider it if there is sufficient demand. What
                kind of connector is it? A Rose connector to an expansion board? I
                bought a Pic32 development board but it's put away until I have time
                to play with it, it has a lot of resources on the board good for some
                DSP experiments.

                Keeping track of all the items on order is a real pain that is why I
                only did items with high volume, but I'm taking steps to facilitate
                that process so possibly I could add items that have only a small volume.


                Cecil
                K5NWA
                www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

                "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."


              • k5nwa
                ... Too bad Mouser doesn t carry it, I m not a fan of DigiKey, they charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don t have an office in my state and city, I tend
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1 8:38 AM
                  At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:

                  The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
                  It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
                  Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.

                  Found on: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571

                  And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz: http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952 (there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
                  site).

                  Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up paying a lot higher prices.

                  I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make sure they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.


                  Cecil
                  K5NWA
                  www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

                  "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

                • henkkeppel
                  Dear fellow hams, What is all this stuff about a PIC32? I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you can buy it for $32 which is
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1 9:05 AM
                    Dear fellow hams,
                    What is all this stuff about a PIC32?
                    I know it is a microcontroller and I found the website and I know you
                    can buy it for $32 which is attractive for me.
                    But what can I do with it in relation with the softrock40 program?
                    And what is already achieved in relation with that?

                    One other topic: Please can you arrange a splinter Internet meeting to
                    discuss which operating system is the best?
                    I think there are enough fora where everyone can drop his knowledge
                    about this subject.

                    Have fun, Henk, PA0KEP.
                  • Tom Hoflich
                    ... I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the sales tax for my
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1 10:48 AM
                      --- k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                      > At 10:10 AM 4/1/2008, you wrote:
                      >
                      > >The expansion connector on the pic32 starter kit is a hirose
                      > >FX10A-120P/12-SV1.
                      > >It's mating connector is FX10B-120S/12-SV.
                      > >Digikey's part # for it is H11238-ND.
                      > >
                      > >Found on:
                      >
                      ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=321571
                      > >
                      > >And also, don't forget to upgrade the pic32 to 80Mhz:
                      >
                      ><http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952>http://forum.microchip.com/tm.aspx?m=318952
                      >
                      > >(there is also official code somewhere on the microchip
                      > >site).
                      >
                      > Too bad Mouser doesn't carry it, I'm not a fan of DigiKey, they
                      > charge sales tax (9.5%) even though they don't have an office in my
                      >
                      > state and city, I tend to think they pocket the money so you end up
                      >
                      > paying a lot higher prices.
                      >
                      > I always thought it would be an interesting exercise to contact the
                      >
                      > revenue office and see if DigiKey is paying them money, if they are
                      >
                      > not then it's criminal tax fraud, and they don't take kindly with
                      > people that withhold their tax revenue. I bought some boards from
                      > Altera and they wanted to charge me State sales tax, so I told them
                      >
                      > that I was going to check with the State Revenue office to make
                      > sure
                      > they were paying the collected taxes, the same day I received an
                      > email from one of their upper level managers that it was a mistake
                      > and the tax came off. You wonder how many people were ripped off.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > Cecil
                      > K5NWA


                      I think that you are right about sales tax. I have to fight Avnet on
                      every order. According to the State of Oklahoma tax website, the
                      sales tax for my zip code is 5.4%. They insist on charging me 9%
                      which is for town in another county. I think that they use the
                      highest tax in each 5 digit zip code. If it is less, they pocket the
                      difference.
                      If I don't get the difference back, I lose money.
                      Maybe, I should suggest that I am contacting the state and see if
                      their toon changes.

                      Tom KM5H
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.