RE: [softrock40] Re: SD Software?

  • Bill Heverly
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
      Ray,

      As an old Burroughs guy, you probably don't want to hear this but Linux has some support from a big gun. IBM offers Linux on their mainframe systems. Even though I too am an old Burroughs guy, I think that is pretty big gun support.

      Bill AB3DT

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
        Linux as a "matured" OS conjures up visions of just another bloated multi-media system. I really would never want it to "mature". Rather it should offer elements that the Linux audience want. Once any software attempts to "appeal" (attract users/customers) it begins to run a muck and we have Windows or MAC OS. All things to all people is precisely what Linux should never become.

        Dick  N3HKN

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N0FY" <N0FY@...> wrote:

        > Hi Terry,
        >
        > Thanks for putting this in the proper perspective - I agree on everything
        > you have said except for one thing. I have been watching LINUX try to grow
        > to a full blown OS for many years and while it is superior for specific
        > characteristics I don't think I will hold my breath until it matures. I
        > have my doubts that it ever will - it seems to lack the management drive
        > that it takes to make a single entity that does it all. Right or Wrong if
        > it can't at least do what MS OSs (including device support) do then it will
        > never be a big box competitor.
        >
        > I hope I am wrong about LINUX because I truly believe it could be king of
        > the hill with the right direction, management and stability, but that has
        > yet to happen.
        >
        > 73, Ray, N0FY
        >

        > _____

      • Box SisteenHundred
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
          heh...  my '67 Pontiac runs well too...

          when I can find leaded gas...   lol

          GL OM ES 73 - Bill KA8VIT

          > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          > From: k5nwa@...
          > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:05:55 -0500
          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] SD Software?
          >
          > At 12:28 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
          >
          > >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
          > >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
          > >update Windows again.
          > >
          > >What software options are available to use with a receiver like the
          > >Softrock40?
          > >
          > >Bob Macklin
          > >K5MYJ
          > >Seattle, Wa.
          >
          > If you are going to insist that you will not change from Win98 then
          > your choices are going to be slim or none. Win 98 does not have the
          > software mechanisms that make SDR software run well I don't know if
          > any of the major players support that OS anymore, less face it that
          > OS is 10 years old and that is forever in the computer business.
          >
          > I can sympathize with you in not wanting to change, Win98 is very
          > lean and runs real well on machines that are not up to current state
          > but programmers won't go out of their way to support it.
          >
          > I'm not sure but you may want to check out M0KGK's software, it's
          > written in Delphi so it could work on Win98, it also uses ASIO4ALL
          > drivers and they work on Win98.
          >
          > < http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/index.php >
          >

          > Cecil
          > K5NWA
          > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
          >
          > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Brian Lloyd
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
            On Apr 1, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Bill Heverly wrote:

            > Ray,
            >
            > As an old Burroughs guy, you probably don't want to hear this but
            > Linux has some support from a big gun. IBM offers Linux on their
            > mainframe systems. Even though I too am an old Burroughs guy, I
            > think that is pretty big gun support.

            It is interesting how people tend to get locked into a viewpoint and
            then never take a step back to ask, "does this make sense?"

            Right now people seem to get into this MS/Linux (and sometimes MacOS)
            debate without ever asking, "do any of these operating systems really
            do a good job at what they are supposed to do?" Yes, we must move
            forward with something because the goal is to write code that does
            something useful and an OS does nothing useful (from the end-user
            point of view). But it does make the programmer's job easier and,
            hence, may mean that we get useful programs sooner with one or the
            other.

            (And then there is the reliability issue which is a whole other can-of-
            worms.)

            I don't know, I find MacOS to be easier to deal with (from a
            programmers point of view -- there are some pretty decent APIs in
            there) but Apple in its usual style, seems to be hell-bent on making
            their OS as unusable as Microsoft's. They just haven't been at the
            process quite long enough yet.

            And then there is Linux with its abysmal integrated support for
            sampled signal streams. (I was going to say "audio" but we know that
            doesn't apply because it is really our IF, not AF, right?)

            My take on it is that we really need to start with a clean slate but
            we know that isn't going to happen.

            --

            73 de Brian, WB6RQN
            Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
              On Apr 1, 2008, at 3:55 AM, n3hkn wrote:
              > Linux as a "matured" OS conjures up visions of just another bloated
              > multi-media system. I really would never want it to "mature". Rather
              > it should offer elements that the Linux audience want. Once any
              > software attempts to "appeal" (attract users/customers) it begins to
              > run a muck and we have Windows or MAC OS. All things to all people
              > is precisely what Linux should never become.

              Hmm, that applies if you think of the OS as an end-user application.
              If you consider it to be a vehicle for supporting task loading, memory
              management, inter-process communications, storage system, networking,
              device independence, an API library, and a UI library, it doesn't seem
              nearly has difficult. It also doesn't need to have a "major" release
              every year either.

              --

              73 de Brian, WB6RQN
              Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
            • Alberto I2PHD
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                "Bob Macklin" rottenrobbie0@... k5myj wrote:

                > A couple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                > software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                > update Windows again.

                There is a version of Winrad that is still compatible with Windows 98. It is V1.23
                From that version on, I started using features of the operating system that were present only in XP an not in W98, but
                I kept that version frozen and available to all those who still run W98. Of course it has less features than more recent
                versions, but that is a price that must be payed in exchange for backwards compatibility.

                You can find it on Web site http://www.weaksignals.com

                73 Alberto I2PHD
              • Marcus Geselle
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Hmm,

                  I don't want this to become another "my OS can beat your OS hands down"
                  type of discussion.

                  Just an opinion:
                  Linux is a mature OS -- it's cleanly designed (almost as clean as BSD)
                  and stable.
                  Whether Linux-based desktop systems (i.e. OS + lots of other software)
                  have reached
                  any kind of maturity is still open for discussion -- as a server system
                  it is doing a good job.

                  What is hurting the amateur (not only radio) communities most is that many
                  hardware manufacturers do not provide Linux drivers and do not publish
                  details
                  about their hardware which would allow third parties to create hardware
                  drivers
                  for Linux.

                  Professionally, I am using Linux (and UNIX systems) quite a lot. For
                  those of my hobbies which
                  depend on computers (astronomy and, of course, ham radio) I moved back from
                  Linux to windoze, because I got fed up with chasing up drivers or even
                  hacking existing
                  drivers to make them work with the kernel version du jour.

                  Just my EUR 0,02.

                  Cheers,
                  Marcus -- DL7GEM
                • Ray
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

                    Hi Bill,

                    I agree that the big guns need and offer LINUX, Burroughs/UNISYS also offers it on the ES7000 and a few mainframes and it is a superior OS in the big machine arena.  I participated in qualification testing of LINUX on the ES7000 and it was very easy to port onto a 32 way Intel platform with a custom memory and I/O chip set.  I didn’t mean to give the impression that it was less of an OS, it is just that I don’t think into will make it into the average household anytime soon.

                    73, Ray, N0FY

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Ray,

                      I knew Burroughs offered Unix, but didn't know they also had a Linux offering. My Unix training was done at Penn State's Great Valley Campus at Valley Forge, PA. One of my instructors was a Unisys, actually Sperry, old timer who supported Unix on their various systems.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

                        Hi Bill,  There are several sites that talk to the ES7000 capability and LINUX.  Here is one http://esj.com/enterprise/article.aspx?EditorialsID=1074   I was very proud and thankful that I had a chance to work with this system – I started on the project 1997 and we delivered 1st piece  1999.  It is an amazing mix of  capabilities and includes LINUX as one of the primary platforms.  Interestingly it can run several different OSs concurrently with dynamic partitioning on an INTEL platform and exceeds mainframe performance.

                        It was my last job with UNISYS and I elected to leave the company rather than move to California and spend most of my time with off-shore manufacturing.  I really would have liked to stay with the project but family comes first.

                        73, Ray, N0FY

[...]

                        size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

> [...]

                        But, I also have a working IBM 5-slot computer, and a spare.

                        And, I have a working IMSAI CP/M system with Heath H19 terminal, and
                        8-inch drives. I boot CP/M and run Wordstar every once in a while.
                        How about a nice game of chess? Or the CP/M user-group Adventure?

                        I also have two Altair 8800s, and an Altair turnkey (no front panel),
                        plus a bunch of S100 boards. No power to them in about three years.

                        I don't expect these computers to run SDR software either.

                        And, I can still erase and burn 1702A to 2764 EPROMS. Go figure.

                        Don't get me started with software. From CP/M, to DOS 1.x to 4.x, to
                        the original flight simulator. I even had the paper tapes for Altair
                        4k and 8k Basic. Anybody remember Lattice C, or Run-C? Or the CP/M
                        Pascal?

                        But native SDR on a 4MHz Z80? Probably as likely as on a 266MHz 486.

                      • Clive Wallis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                          Bob K5MJY wrote -

                          >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                          >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                          >update Windows again.

                          My first success was with Alberto's WinRad program. I used it initially
                          because my XP machine had an unsuitable sound card. It's a nice
                          program and worked well on Win98. It's available from Alberto's web
                          site www.weaksignals.com

                          Clive G3CWV

                          Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.