SD Software?

  • Bob Macklin
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31 10:28 AM
      I am a retired EE and a long time ham.

      Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
      software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
      update Windows again.

      Recently a friend put me onto "Rocky" and I instlled it and it seems to
      run. I won't know until I get a receiver working. But with the bands
      they way they are that may be several months.

      I recenentl downloaded and installed "powerSDR" and all the support
      junk it needs. Whe I try and start it, it hangs.

      What software options are available to use with a receiver like the
      Softrock40?

      Bob Macklin
      K5MYJ
      Seattle, Wa.
    • k5nwa
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31 11:05 AM
        At 12:28 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:

        >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
        >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
        >update Windows again.
        >
        >What software options are available to use with a receiver like the
        >Softrock40?
        >
        >Bob Macklin
        >K5MYJ
        >Seattle, Wa.

        If you are going to insist that you will not change from Win98 then
        your choices are going to be slim or none. Win 98 does not have the
        software mechanisms that make SDR software run well I don't know if
        any of the major players support that OS anymore, less face it that
        OS is 10 years old and that is forever in the computer business.

        I can sympathize with you in not wanting to change, Win98 is very
        lean and runs real well on machines that are not up to current state
        but programmers won't go out of their way to support it.

        I'm not sure but you may want to check out M0KGK's software, it's
        written in Delphi so it could work on Win98, it also uses ASIO4ALL
        drivers and they work on Win98.

        < http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/index.php >

        Cecil
        K5NWA
        www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

      • Robin Midgett
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31 11:31 AM
          Sheesh...what a neanderthalithic outlook...
          maybe you'd be interested in a Commodore 64...or perhaps an abacus..

          Seriously...the SoftRocks are some of the most well received (no pun
          intended) kits to come down the amateur radio pike in a long time.
          Win2k or better yet XP isn't hard to come by. Yes, you'll need some
          decent amount of RAM and maybe want 100 GB hard disk, but that's not
          much these days, especially in the light of the capabilities of the SR kits.

          Give it a try...you'll be well pleased or at the least...in the
          minority of the SoftRock crowd.

          At 12:28 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
          >I am a retired EE and a long time ham.
          >
          >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
          >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
          >update Windows again.
          >
          >Recently a friend put me onto "Rocky" and I instlled it and it seems
          >to run. I won't know until I get a receiver working. But with the
          >bands they way they are that may be several months.
          >
          >I recenentl downloaded and installed "powerSDR" and all the support
          >junk it needs. Whe I try and start it, it hangs.
          >
          >What software options are available to use with a receiver like the
          >Softrock40?
          >
          >Bob Macklin
          >K5MYJ
          >Seattle, Wa.

          Thanks,
          Robin Midgett K4IDC
          615-322-5836 office - rolls to pager
          615-835-7699 pager
          615-301-1642 home
          K4IDC@...
          Radio Gear For Sale: http://www.people.vanderbilt.edu/~robin.midgett/index.htm
        • Alan Melia
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31 4:41 PM
            Hi I am a little amused, that it seems to be the case that one should have
            to spend $300 to run a $15 radio. I can appreciate that developers have
            enough hastle because the latest OS is not downwards compatible.....but many
            of us refuse to buy even more bug-ridden software, when the one we have does
            the vast majority of our tasks. So what are the options for Linux ?? my next
            move because I want to run a computer not "media centre", and I am aware
            that some new apps and hw is not going to work on old systems....the rip-off
            conspiracy.

            BTW I still have machines, doing what they were designed for, that are over
            15 years old now....working reliably running DOS 4.1....because the software
            apps wont run on a more modern machine.......and I dont get "blue screens"
            on them!

            Alan G3NYK
          • Don Parks
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31 4:48 PM
              Alan,

              With your DOS machines download the FREE e-book on www.farviewu.biz.
              It was written in 1991 and runs in a DOS box.

              Don
              K4IJV

              On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM, Alan Melia <Alan.Melia@...> wrote:

              > Hi I am a little amused, that it seems to be the case that one should have
              > to spend $300 to run a $15 radio. I can appreciate that developers have
              > enough hastle because the latest OS is not downwards compatible.....but
              > many
              > of us refuse to buy even more bug-ridden software, when the one we have
              > does
              > the vast majority of our tasks. So what are the options for Linux ?? my
              > next
              > move because I want to run a computer not "media centre", and I am aware
              > that some new apps and hw is not going to work on old systems....the
              > rip-off
              > conspiracy.
              >
              > BTW I still have machines, doing what they were designed for, that are over
              > 15 years old now....working reliably running DOS 4.1....because the
              > software
              > apps wont run on a more modern machine.......and I dont get "blue screens"
              > on them!
              >
              > Alan G3NYK

            • Terry
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31 5:10 PM
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Melia" <Alan.Melia@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi I am a little amused, that it seems to be the case that one
                should have
                > to spend $300 to run a $15 radio. I can appreciate that developers
                have
                > enough hastle because the latest OS is not downwards
                compatible.....but many
                > of us refuse to buy even more bug-ridden software, when the one we
                have does
                > the vast majority of our tasks. So what are the options for
                Linux ?? my next
                > move because I want to run a computer not "media centre", and I am
                aware
                > that some new apps and hw is not going to work on old
                systems....the rip-off
                > conspiracy.
                >
                > BTW I still have machines, doing what they were designed for, that
                are over
                > 15 years old now....working reliably running DOS 4.1....because the
                software
                > apps wont run on a more modern machine.......and I dont get "blue
                screens"
                > on them!
                >
                > Alan G3NYK

                Regarding SDR on older computers: try simultaneously running a
                graphical user interface, and the DSP code necessary to decode and
                display CW or SSB on a 386 or 486. Without a dedicated DSP chip, you
                are in for a long wait. Over ten years ago, I wrote DOS-based code
                (in Turbo-C) that displayed an audio spectrum analyzer in a DOS-based
                VGA graphics display. All the DSP was done in either a homebrew
                Motorola 56000 board, or an EVM, with DMA data transfers over the old
                PC bus (homebrew), or fast serial port(EVM).

                I don't want to do that again. But, if you are staying DOS or Win-
                98, kiss the PC doing DSP goodbye. I still have three Moto 56000 EVM
                boards that I'd be glad to sell.

                Regarding Linux: There is some movement afoot there with SDR. There
                are a few programs that will work. Again, you must do a hardware
                upgrade to get the processing necessary to do DSP and on-screen
                graphics.

                I also have a couple 486 computers with Win98, and Win95, and DOS.
                Just in case I ever want to run my 56000 audio spec analyzer.

                But, I also have a working IBM 5-slot computer, and a spare.

                And, I have a working IMSAI CP/M system with Heath H19 terminal, and
                8-inch drives. I boot CP/M and run Wordstar every once in a while.
                How about a nice game of chess? Or the CP/M user-group Adventure?

                I also have two Altair 8800s, and an Altair turnkey (no front panel),
                plus a bunch of S100 boards. No power to them in about three years.

                I don't expect these computers to run SDR software either.

                And, I can still erase and burn 1702A to 2764 EPROMS. Go figure.

                Don't get me started with software. From CP/M, to DOS 1.x to 4.x, to
                the original flight simulator. I even had the paper tapes for Altair
                4k and 8k Basic. Anybody remember Lattice C, or Run-C? Or the CP/M
                Pascal?

                But native SDR on a 4MHz Z80? Probably as likely as on a 266MHz 486.

                Terry
              • N0FY
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 31 9:22 PM
                  Hi Terry,

                  Thanks for putting this in the proper perspective - I agree on everything you have said except for one thing.  I have been watching LINUX try to grow to a full blown OS for many years and while it is superior for specific characteristics I don't think I will hold my breath until it matures.  I have my doubts that it ever will - it seems to lack the management drive that it takes to make a single entity that does it all.  Right or Wrong if it can't at least do what MS OSs (including device support) do then it will never be a big box competitor.

                  I hope I am wrong about LINUX because I truly believe it could be king of the hill with the right direction, management and stability, but that has yet to happen.

                  73, Ray, N0FY

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 31 10:22 PM
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N0FY" <N0FY@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Terry,
                    >
                    > Thanks for putting this in the proper perspective - I agree on
                    everything
                    > you have said except for one thing. I have been watching LINUX try
                    to grow
                    > to a full blown OS for many years and while it is superior for
                    specific
                    > characteristics I don't think I will hold my breath until it
                    matures. I
                    > have my doubts that it ever will - it seems to lack the management
                    drive
                    > that it takes to make a single entity that does it all. Right or
                    Wrong if
                    > it can't at least do what MS OSs (including device support) do then
                    it will
                    > never be a big box competitor.
                    >
                    > I hope I am wrong about LINUX because I truly believe it could be
                    king of
                    > the hill with the right direction, management and stability, but
                    that has
                    > yet to happen.
                    >
                    > 73, Ray, N0FY

                    <snip>

                    Thanks Ray. I hope I didn't upset anyone - that wasn't the intent.
                    You read it just right - perspective is what I was aiming at.

                    Plus, I heard from a friend that I lost contact with a while back.
                    We used to packet together many years ago. So, that was great!

                    I agree with you about Linux to some degree. I think we may be
                    forced into Linux eventually. It's also getting harder to do stuff
                    in the MS world. Which to chose: an OS that doesn't support every
                    piece of hardware (or supports it badly), or an OS that won't allow
                    access to your data (because it might be a pirated movie)?

                    I wrote more, but cut it as it was too boring.

                    Thanks.
                    Terry
                  • Bill Heverly
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                      Ray,

                      As an old Burroughs guy, you probably don't want to hear this but Linux has some support from a big gun. IBM offers Linux on their mainframe systems. Even though I too am an old Burroughs guy, I think that is pretty big gun support.

                      Bill AB3DT

> [...]

                      But, I also have a working IBM 5-slot computer, and a spare.

                      And, I have a working IMSAI CP/M system with Heath H19 terminal, and
                      8-inch drives. I boot CP/M and run Wordstar every once in a while.
                      How about a nice game of chess? Or the CP/M user-group Adventure?

                      I also have two Altair 8800s, and an Altair turnkey (no front panel),
                      plus a bunch of S100 boards. No power to them in about three years.

                      I don't expect these computers to run SDR software either.

                      And, I can still erase and burn 1702A to 2764 EPROMS. Go figure.

                      Don't get me started with software. From CP/M, to DOS 1.x to 4.x, to
                      the original flight simulator. I even had the paper tapes for Altair
                      4k and 8k Basic. Anybody remember Lattice C, or Run-C? Or the CP/M
                      Pascal?

                      But native SDR on a 4MHz Z80? Probably as likely as on a 266MHz 486.

                    • n3hkn
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                        Linux as a "matured" OS conjures up visions of just another bloated multi-media system. I really would never want it to "mature". Rather it should offer elements that the Linux audience want. Once any software attempts to "appeal" (attract users/customers) it begins to run a muck and we have Windows or MAC OS. All things to all people is precisely what Linux should never become.

                        Dick  N3HKN

                      • Box SisteenHundred
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                          heh...  my '67 Pontiac runs well too...

                          when I can find leaded gas...   lol

                          GL OM ES 73 - Bill KA8VIT

                          > To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: k5nwa@...
                          > Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:05:55 -0500
                          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] SD Software?
                          >
                          > At 12:28 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:
                          >
                          > >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                          > >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                          > >update Windows again.
                          > >
                          > >What software options are available to use with a receiver like the
                          > >Softrock40?
                          > >
                          > >Bob Macklin
                          > >K5MYJ
                          > >Seattle, Wa.
                          >
                          > If you are going to insist that you will not change from Win98 then
                          > your choices are going to be slim or none. Win 98 does not have the
                          > software mechanisms that make SDR software run well I don't know if
                          > any of the major players support that OS anymore, less face it that
                          > OS is 10 years old and that is forever in the computer business.
                          >
                          > I can sympathize with you in not wanting to change, Win98 is very
                          > lean and runs real well on machines that are not up to current state
                          > but programmers won't go out of their way to support it.
                          >
                          > I'm not sure but you may want to check out M0KGK's software, it's
                          > written in Delphi so it could work on Win98, it also uses ASIO4ALL
                          > drivers and they work on Win98.
                          >
                          > < http://www.m0kgk.co.uk/sdr/index.php >
                          >

                          > Cecil
                          > K5NWA
                          > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                          >
                          > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

                          > <*> Your email settings:
                          > Individual Email | Traditional
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings online go to:
                          > (Yahoo! ID required)
                          >
                          > <*> To change settings via email:
                          > mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          > mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Brian Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                            On Apr 1, 2008, at 2:36 AM, Bill Heverly wrote:

                            > Ray,
                            >
                            > As an old Burroughs guy, you probably don't want to hear this but
                            > Linux has some support from a big gun. IBM offers Linux on their
                            > mainframe systems. Even though I too am an old Burroughs guy, I
                            > think that is pretty big gun support.

                            It is interesting how people tend to get locked into a viewpoint and
                            then never take a step back to ask, "does this make sense?"

                            Right now people seem to get into this MS/Linux (and sometimes MacOS)
                            debate without ever asking, "do any of these operating systems really
                            do a good job at what they are supposed to do?" Yes, we must move
                            forward with something because the goal is to write code that does
                            something useful and an OS does nothing useful (from the end-user
                            point of view). But it does make the programmer's job easier and,
                            hence, may mean that we get useful programs sooner with one or the
                            other.

                            (And then there is the reliability issue which is a whole other can-of-
                            worms.)

                            I don't know, I find MacOS to be easier to deal with (from a
                            programmers point of view -- there are some pretty decent APIs in
                            there) but Apple in its usual style, seems to be hell-bent on making
                            their OS as unusable as Microsoft's. They just haven't been at the
                            process quite long enough yet.

                            And then there is Linux with its abysmal integrated support for
                            sampled signal streams. (I was going to say "audio" but we know that
                            doesn't apply because it is really our IF, not AF, right?)

                            My take on it is that we really need to start with a clean slate but
                            we know that isn't going to happen.

                            --

                            73 de Brian, WB6RQN
                            Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                              On Apr 1, 2008, at 3:55 AM, n3hkn wrote:
                              > Linux as a "matured" OS conjures up visions of just another bloated
                              > multi-media system. I really would never want it to "mature". Rather
                              > it should offer elements that the Linux audience want. Once any
                              > software attempts to "appeal" (attract users/customers) it begins to
                              > run a muck and we have Windows or MAC OS. All things to all people
                              > is precisely what Linux should never become.

                              Hmm, that applies if you think of the OS as an end-user application.
                              If you consider it to be a vehicle for supporting task loading, memory
                              management, inter-process communications, storage system, networking,
                              device independence, an API library, and a UI library, it doesn't seem
                              nearly has difficult. It also doesn't need to have a "major" release
                              every year either.

                              --

                              73 de Brian, WB6RQN
                              Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
                            • Alberto I2PHD
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                                "Bob Macklin" rottenrobbie0@... k5myj wrote:

                                > A couple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                                > software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                                > update Windows again.

                                There is a version of Winrad that is still compatible with Windows 98. It is V1.23
                                From that version on, I started using features of the operating system that were present only in XP an not in W98, but
                                I kept that version frozen and available to all those who still run W98. Of course it has less features than more recent
                                versions, but that is a price that must be payed in exchange for backwards compatibility.

                                You can find it on Web site http://www.weaksignals.com

                                73 Alberto I2PHD
                              • Marcus Geselle
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                                  Hmm,

                                  I don't want this to become another "my OS can beat your OS hands down"
                                  type of discussion.

                                  Just an opinion:
                                  Linux is a mature OS -- it's cleanly designed (almost as clean as BSD)
                                  and stable.
                                  Whether Linux-based desktop systems (i.e. OS + lots of other software)
                                  have reached
                                  any kind of maturity is still open for discussion -- as a server system
                                  it is doing a good job.

                                  What is hurting the amateur (not only radio) communities most is that many
                                  hardware manufacturers do not provide Linux drivers and do not publish
                                  details
                                  about their hardware which would allow third parties to create hardware
                                  drivers
                                  for Linux.

                                  Professionally, I am using Linux (and UNIX systems) quite a lot. For
                                  those of my hobbies which
                                  depend on computers (astronomy and, of course, ham radio) I moved back from
                                  Linux to windoze, because I got fed up with chasing up drivers or even
                                  hacking existing
                                  drivers to make them work with the kernel version du jour.

                                  Just my EUR 0,02.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Marcus -- DL7GEM
                                • Ray
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

                                    Hi Bill,

                                    I agree that the big guns need and offer LINUX, Burroughs/UNISYS also offers it on the ES7000 and a few mainframes and it is a superior OS in the big machine arena.  I participated in qualification testing of LINUX on the ES7000 and it was very easy to port onto a 32 way Intel platform with a custom memory and I/O chip set.  I didn’t mean to give the impression that it was less of an OS, it is just that I don’t think into will make it into the average household anytime soon.

                                    73, Ray, N0FY

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008
                                      Ray,

                                      I knew Burroughs offered Unix, but didn't know they also had a Linux offering. My Unix training was done at Penn State's Great Valley Campus at Valley Forge, PA. One of my instructors was a Unisys, actually Sperry, old timer who supported Unix on their various systems.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 2, 2008

                                        Hi Bill,  There are several sites that talk to the ES7000 capability and LINUX.  Here is one http://esj.com/enterprise/article.aspx?EditorialsID=1074   I was very proud and thankful that I had a chance to work with this system – I started on the project 1997 and we delivered 1st piece  1999.  It is an amazing mix of  capabilities and includes LINUX as one of the primary platforms.  Interestingly it can run several different OSs concurrently with dynamic partitioning on an INTEL platform and exceeds mainframe performance.

                                        It was my last job with UNISYS and I elected to leave the company rather than move to California and spend most of my time with off-shore manufacturing.  I really would have liked to stay with the project but family comes first.

                                        73, Ray, N0FY

[...]

                                        size=2 width="100%" align=center tabIndex=-1>

> [...]

                                        But, I also have a working IBM 5-slot computer, and a spare.

                                        And, I have a working IMSAI CP/M system with Heath H19 terminal, and
                                        8-inch drives. I boot CP/M and run Wordstar every once in a while.
                                        How about a nice game of chess? Or the CP/M user-group Adventure?

                                        I also have two Altair 8800s, and an Altair turnkey (no front panel),
                                        plus a bunch of S100 boards. No power to them in about three years.

                                        I don't expect these computers to run SDR software either.

                                        And, I can still erase and burn 1702A to 2764 EPROMS. Go figure.

                                        Don't get me started with software. From CP/M, to DOS 1.x to 4.x, to
                                        the original flight simulator. I even had the paper tapes for Altair
                                        4k and 8k Basic. Anybody remember Lattice C, or Run-C? Or the CP/M
                                        Pascal?

                                        But native SDR on a 4MHz Z80? Probably as likely as on a 266MHz 486.

                                      • Clive Wallis
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Apr 5, 2008
                                          Bob K5MJY wrote -

                                          >Acouple years ago I took an interest in SD Radio but all the FREEBIE
                                          >software I could find at the time would not run on W98. I refuse to
                                          >update Windows again.

                                          My first success was with Alberto's WinRad program. I used it initially
                                          because my XP machine had an unsuitable sound card. It's a nice
                                          program and worked well on Win98. It's available from Alberto's web
                                          site www.weaksignals.com

                                          Clive G3CWV

                                          Hitchin, North Hertfordshire, UK.