Re: [softrock40] Why?

  • Mike Young
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30 9:55 PM
      From: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@...>
      To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 7:54 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] Why?

      > The real question is, what are you trying to do here? If the objective is
      > to promote communication between people interested in the next SDR
      > software
      > or hardware development beyond the present (which is an entirely laudable
      > goal) then hooray! If you are interested in encouraging newbies to get
      > involved, then I think a different attitude (or maybe a different group)
      > is
      > needed. Inaccessibility is not a virtue. The www.softrockradio.org web
      > site needs to be reworked, and the files section of this Yahoo group needs
      > to be reorganized.

      I can second that easily, having gone through the exercise recently of
      finding out where to get started. The "Wow!!" factor is definitely there
      (whole band at a glance is easily worth the double exclamation).
      Receive-only is accessible enough, both in price and complexity. You just
      need a "Buy Now" button, wider exposure, and one-stop no-hassle first setup.
      Non-hams are likely curious enough to try it on an impulse, as well.