Re: [softrock40] Greetings, and newbie questions

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2008
      At 05:05 PM 3/30/2008, you wrote:

      >That helps. No problem here making the small board. Looks like I can get by
      >with SMT on one side only and a very few vias or jumpers.

      A SMT version would be sweet, smaller and possibly slightly better
      performance if you have a good layout.

      >Digging a bit more, it looks like the RxTx is the hot ticket now and I'll
      >see about buying that instead, before investing more effort on this end.
      >(Although a USB powered receive-only rig still seems a perfectly good
      >companion for a laptop PC.)

      Soon there will be a new batch of RxTx that uses the SI570 chip for
      better mobility of frequency, that will be a very nice combo.

      >One more question. Is Rocky the way to go? The VNA feature looks extremely
      >promising.

      The VNA is nice so you can also use it to tune your antenna system.

      That is a question with many answers, it depends on your personal
      taste, Rocky is very popular, there is also the M0KGK software, and
      the FlexRadio software which is my favorite (source code available),
      for receive only the Winrad software is one of the best sounding
      software packages out there.

      My advise is to try them all and see which software package has the
      features and feel that make you happy.

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com