Si570 control using Atmel AVR USBKey - Uploaded

  • R Bishop - W0CNN
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
      All,

      As promised, I have uploaded my latest AVR USBKey object code
      (v1.0). This firmware, when uploaded to your USBKey, allows full
      standalone control of your Si570 (mounted on WB5DHW's board). Just
      four wires are needed, and you are off and running. Not only do you
      have standalone control, but you also have PC control via USB using a
      Terminal program.

      The AVR USBKey is a great value when you consider what you get. For
      only $32.00, you get a feature rich USB based AVR with 128K of Flash,
      8K of RAM, 4K of EEPROM, 16MB on-board serial flash, factory equipped
      bootloader, USB 2.0, USB On-The-Go, JTAG, Temperature Sensor, and
      more. All on a PCB roughly 1" by 3.5"- it's a perfect match for the
      tiny Si570 board from WB6DHW.

      The Si570 firmware features 20 memory slots, a calibration routine,
      simple joystick operation, LED status indicators, and more. The
      AVRUSBKey will allow full expansion into LCD display, Rotary
      Encoders, CW capability, and much much more. This is version 1.0,
      the first release, and I have included a detailed "Get Started"
      document.

      The file is located at:
      20Folder/

      -Reid-
      W0CNN
    • Jim Perkins
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
        Reid,
        Is the LCD that you will be trying to implement an add-on module for the USBKey or are you rolling your own?
        Thanks,
        Jim

        R Bishop - W0CNN wrote:

[...]

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/softrock40 /files/Si570% 20Atmel%20AVR%
        20Folder/

        -Reid-
        W0CNN

      • w2ter_73
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
          Reid

          Very Cool!

          tom,w2ter

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@...>
          wrote:

          > All,
          >
          > As promised, I have uploaded my latest AVR USBKey object code
          > (v1.0). This firmware, when uploaded to your USBKey, allows full
          > standalone control of your Si570 (mounted on WB5DHW's board). Just
          > four wires are needed, and you are off and running. Not only do
          you
          > have standalone control, but you also have PC control via USB using
          > Terminal program.
          >
          > The AVR USBKey is a great value when you consider what you get.
          For
          > only $32.00, you get a feature rich USB based AVR with 128K of
          Flash,
          > 8K of RAM, 4K of EEPROM, 16MB on-board serial flash, factory
          equipped
          > bootloader, USB 2.0, USB On-The-Go, JTAG, Temperature Sensor, and
          > more. All on a PCB roughly 1" by 3.5"- it's a perfect match for
          the
          > tiny Si570 board from WB6DHW.
          >
          > The Si570 firmware features 20 memory slots, a calibration routine,
          > simple joystick operation, LED status indicators, and more. The
          > AVRUSBKey will allow full expansion into LCD display, Rotary
          > Encoders, CW capability, and much much more. This is version 1.0,
          > the first release, and I have included a detailed "Get Started"
          > document.
          >
          > The file is located at:
          > 20Folder/
          >
          > -Reid-
          > W0CNN

        • Bill Meahan K8QN
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@...> wrote:

            > All,
            >
            > As promised, I have uploaded my latest AVR USBKey object code
            > (v1.0).
            [snip]
            > -Reid-
            > W0CNN

            Many thanks!

            Is there interest out there for adding a command parser to the
            firmware implementing a subset of an existing CAT command set (say,
            Kenwood's) to allow frequency control of a SI570 from one of the many
            current ham programs (Ham Radio Deluxe, DX Commander, OmniRig, HamLib
            etc.)??

            I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time to work on such an
            addition, but if there's interest, I'll give it a shot.

            Bill K8QN
          • k5nwa
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
              At 09:42 AM 3/30/2008, you wrote:

              >Is there interest out there for adding a command parser to the
              >firmware implementing a subset of an existing CAT command set (say,
              >Kenwood's) to allow frequency control of a SI570 from one of the many
              >current ham programs (Ham Radio Deluxe, DX Commander, OmniRig, HamLib
              >etc.)??
              >
              >I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time to work on such an
              >addition, but if there's interest, I'll give it a shot.
              >
              >Bill K8QN

              I think it's an excellent idea because I talked about it and
              recommended it a long time back :-) .

              It seems that there are a several software versions out there where a
              whole lot of different ways to talk to the chip are being used. This
              would not be beneficial for the community as the software
              implementors have closed software so except for the Flex software we
              have no way of making the software work with the different boards.

              A CAT standard on the other hand would allow their software to
              connect to other software available so they get the maximum benefit
              for the effort. I would recommend that you visit the Flex download
              area and get a copy of their document of the CAT commands, they are
              well documented and is a basis for more than just the SI570 control.

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Pete Smith
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
                I think this is a marvelous idea for those of us looking forward to using
                the SoftRock Lite + Xtall combination as the basis for Skimmer-based
                contesting applications. I'm personally fond of the Kenwood/Elecraft
                protocol because it uses decimal numbers in its frequency control that are
                easy for us non-programmers to understand and function commands that are at
                least somewhat mnemonic. On the other hand, that may require additional
                overhead on the Si570 board, and the programmers of the logging programs
                have already coped with the Yaesu and Icom protocols.

                73, Pete N4ZR

                At 01:25 PM 3/30/2008, k5nwa wrote:
                >At 09:42 AM 3/30/2008, you wrote:
                >
                > >Is there interest out there for adding a command parser to the
                > >firmware implementing a subset of an existing CAT command set (say,
                > >Kenwood's) to allow frequency control of a SI570 from one of the many
                > >current ham programs (Ham Radio Deluxe, DX Commander, OmniRig, HamLib
                > >etc.)??
                > >
                > >I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time to work on such an
                > >addition, but if there's interest, I'll give it a shot.
                > >
                > >Bill K8QN
                >
                >I think it's an excellent idea because I talked about it and
                >recommended it a long time back :-) .
                >
                >It seems that there are a several software versions out there where a
                >whole lot of different ways to talk to the chip are being used. This
                >would not be beneficial for the community as the software
                >implementors have closed software so except for the Flex software we
                >have no way of making the software work with the different boards.
                >
                >A CAT standard on the other hand would allow their software to
                >connect to other software available so they get the maximum benefit
                >for the effort. I would recommend that you visit the Flex download
                >area and get a copy of their document of the CAT commands, they are
                >well documented and is a basis for more than just the SI570 control.
                >
                >Cecil
                >K5NWA
                >www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                >
                >"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

              • N0FY
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
                  Thank you Reid -  Extremely well documented - you have done an excellent job -
                  73, Ray, N0FY

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Meahan K8QN" <wmeahan@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@>
                    wrote:

                    Hi Bill .. I would be very interestd to be able to talk to the
                    usbkey from PowerSDR. I wish i had the knowledge to write such a
                    program. I would really appereciate it ... or perhaps a dll that
                    would talk to any of the sdr decoders. Thanks for any help you can
                    provide. Ray W7RJC

                    > > All,
                    > >
                    > > As promised, I have uploaded my latest AVR USBKey object code
                    > > (v1.0).
                    > [snip]
                    > > -Reid-
                    > > W0CNN
                    > >

                    > Many thanks!
                    >
                    > Is there interest out there for adding a command parser to the
                    > firmware implementing a subset of an existing CAT command set (say,
                    > Kenwood's) to allow frequency control of a SI570 from one of the
                    many
                    > current ham programs (Ham Radio Deluxe, DX Commander, OmniRig,
                    HamLib
                    > etc.)??
                    >
                    > I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time to work on such an
                    > addition, but if there's interest, I'll give it a shot.
                    >
                    > Bill K8QN

                  • R Bishop - W0CNN
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Bill .. I would be very interestd to be able to talk to the
                      > usbkey from PowerSDR.

                      Ray,

                      I will likely work that into the schedule sometime soon. I already
                      intefaced David Brainerd's 995x to PowerSDR, and it really won't be
                      that different to interface the USBKey driving the Si570. I have at
                      least two options- one using the Kenwood CAT interface (as PowerSDR
                      Betas now directly support Kenwood CAT, and a more defined interface
                      (if I recall, IF Offset doesn't work correctly via the CAT interface).
                      Perhaps both...

                      I already have a mostly complete Kenwood CAT interface library- I used
                      to it build a software CW keyer to interface with the TS480 and TS2000
                      radios.

                      -Reid-
                      W0CNN
                    • R Bishop - W0CNN
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 30, 2008
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jim Perkins <jimperkins@...> wrote:

                        > Is the LCD that you will be trying to implement an add-on
                        > module for the USBKey or are you rolling your own?

                        Jim,

                        There really is no way to 'mount' an LCD to the USBKey, nor the
                        opposite. My thought was a motherboard that contains a LCD mount, Push-
                        button keyboard, and rotary encoder. This motherboard would optionally
                        connect to a USBKey via a 10 pin header/adapter, or ideally it will
                        have it's own USB AVR and Si570. Lots of options. Still mulling it
                        around, as the logic levels between the USBKey and and LCD will need to
                        be translated due to incompatable voltage levels.

                        -Reid-
                        W0CNN
                      • w7rjc
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                          wrote:

                          >Hi Reid .. OK on the future powersdr code. I'll be very intersed in
                          how it works out. Thanks W7RJC

                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi Bill .. I would be very interestd to be able to talk to the
                          > > usbkey from PowerSDR.
                          >
                          > Ray,
                          >
                          > I will likely work that into the schedule sometime soon. I
                          already
                          > intefaced David Brainerd's 995x to PowerSDR, and it really won't
                          be
                          > that different to interface the USBKey driving the Si570. I have
                          at
                          > least two options- one using the Kenwood CAT interface (as
                          PowerSDR
                          > Betas now directly support Kenwood CAT, and a more defined
                          interface
                          > (if I recall, IF Offset doesn't work correctly via the CAT
                          interface).
                          > Perhaps both...
                          >
                          > I already have a mostly complete Kenwood CAT interface library- I
                          used
                          > to it build a software CW keyer to interface with the TS480 and
                          TS2000
                          > radios.
                          >
                          > -Reid-
                          > W0CNN

                        • w7rjc
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                            wrote:

                            >Hi Reid .. OK on the future powersdr code. I'll be very intersed in
                            how it works out. Thanks W7RJC

                            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "w7rjc" <w7rjc@> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi Bill .. I would be very interestd to be able to talk to the
                            > > usbkey from PowerSDR.
                            >
                            > Ray,
                            >
                            > I will likely work that into the schedule sometime soon. I
                            already
                            > intefaced David Brainerd's 995x to PowerSDR, and it really won't
                            be
                            > that different to interface the USBKey driving the Si570. I have
                            at
                            > least two options- one using the Kenwood CAT interface (as
                            PowerSDR
                            > Betas now directly support Kenwood CAT, and a more defined
                            interface
                            > (if I recall, IF Offset doesn't work correctly via the CAT
                            interface).
                            > Perhaps both...
                            >
                            > I already have a mostly complete Kenwood CAT interface library- I
                            used
                            > to it build a software CW keyer to interface with the TS480 and
                            TS2000
                            > radios.
                            >
                            > -Reid-
                            > W0CNN

                          • Bill Meahan K8QN
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R Bishop - W0CNN" <rbish@...> wrote:

                              > I already have a mostly complete Kenwood CAT interface library- I used
                              > to it build a software CW keyer to interface with the TS480 and TS2000
                              > radios.
                              >
                              > -Reid-
                              > W0CNN

                              Merciful heavens, Reid, do you ever sleep? :-)

                              Looks like you've beaten me to something AGAIN! Not that I'm
                              complaining, mind you!! ;-)

                              73 de K8QN
                            • N0FY
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                                I didn't know programmers were supposed to sleep or get weekends off - LOL

                                73, Ray, N0FY

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "N0FY" <N0FY@...> wrote:

                                  > I didn't know programmers were supposed to sleep or get weekends off
                                  - LOL

                                  > 73, Ray, N0FY

                                  See, that's what happens. I retire and as soon as I stop being a
                                  programmer, I sleep, take walks, enjoy dinner with my wife....

                                  Can't say I miss it, either! :-)

                                  73 de K8QN
                                • Bill Heverly
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 31, 2008
                                    Reid,

                                    What compiler do you use?

                                    Bill
                                    AB3DT

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008
                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Heverly" <wheverly@...> wrote:

                                      > Reid,
                                      > What compiler do you use?

                                      Bill,

                                      I use both IAR and WinAVR (via AVR Studio), depending on the needs of
                                      the project. In the case of all my Si570 work, the work has been done
                                      using WinAVR (which basically is a compilation of tools/libraries
                                      that's foundation is GCC for AVR.)

                                      -Reid-
                                      W0CNN
                                    • R Bishop - W0CNN
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 1, 2008

                                        wrote:

                                        > > I already have a mostly complete Kenwood CAT interface library
                                        >>- I used to it build a software CW keyer to interface with the
                                        >> TS480 and TS2000 radios.

                                        > Merciful heavens, Reid, do you ever sleep? :-)
                                        >
                                        > Looks like you've beaten me to something AGAIN! Not that I'm
                                        > complaining, mind you!! ;-)

                                        Bill- actually, I never released my Kenwood keyer- only built it for
                                        my own purposes. The beauty of the Kenwood CAT interface is you can
                                        tell the kenwood via CAT to send an ASCII string via MORSE. I built
                                        an entire application around that fact on the PC, and it makes a
                                        wonderful keyer for those times you simply don't feel like bashing
                                        out CW. The reason I didn't release it yet is because I was in the
                                        process of putting in macros, but never got around to completing that
                                        work. I may release it anyway...

                                        -Reid-
                                        W0CNN
                                      • Bill Heverly