Re: [softrock40] Re: Soundcard, spectrum bumps, etc

  • Tom Hoflich
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29 12:08 PM
      --- Terry <wb4jfi@...> wrote:

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "xeloradio" <sealions@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The recent discussion on ground loops, etc is of interest since I
      > am
      > > using a softrock on the IF of an ICOM PCR 1500 which works fine
      > in
      > > one room but not in another. There is either a huge central bump
      > or
      > > outright oscillation. The cable layout is slightly different.
      > > I tried a variety of soundcards about a year ago and one issue
      > was
      > > that anything based on the TI 2900 chip for USB has one channel
      > > shifted and would not work with some software such as Rocky. I
      > have
      > > not tried it lately.
      > > A do-it yourself sound card in Nuts-n-Volts equivalent to a kit
      > from
      > > Belgium and probably a few other cards used this 2900 chip, and I
      >
      > had
      > > no luck with it.
      > > I put a list of soundcards I tried onto my web site.
      > > http://www.aero-arts.com
      > >
      > > Dave
      > > K0IMH
      > >

      > Dave:
      > I too played with the N&V PCM2900 board. At first, it was VERY
      > disappointing. But, someone sent a message here about there being
      > an
      > error on the PC board, with suggested changes. I made those
      > changes,
      > and the board now works much better. It's still a compromise, and
      > doesn't work nearly as well as the Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card. But,
      > it
      > is actually OK, especially for the cost.
      >
      > Search for message 13357 in this group for the fix to the board.
      >
      > Regarding the one sample delay, Rocky (and PowerSDR, an others) has
      >
      > an adjustment for that. The afore-mentioned Audigy PCMCIA card,
      > and
      > other SB cards also require the same adjustment. No big deal.
      >
      > Terry
      > WB4JFI

      Maybe this is obvious, but I have not heard it mentioned in a while
      so newbies may have missed it. First start up Rocky without anything
      connected. If there are those bumps and stuff, no amount of work on
      grounding of inputs/outputs of the softrock (since it is not
      connected) is going to fix this. You will need to find up a way to
      clean up the PC. Sometimes you can do a direct connection to the
      sound card rather than going into the jacks on the front or back of
      the PC.

      Tom KM5H