Re: [softrock40] SR-40 Software Compiler for free

  • Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
      On 10/2/05, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:
      > For those interested, I found the link below to free evaluation
      > software for the Microsoft C# compiler. It's a large download (289
      > Megs) and some of the software only works until May 2006, other parts
      > work for a period of 1 year.

      There is a Free C# runtime/development environment called mono.

      http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

      It is cross-platform, than tied to a single proprietary *crappy* OS. I
      wonder why powerSDR developers are not embracing that platform instead
      of the one from M$ . Spirit of amateur radio is not that of the
      spirit of propreitary software development.

      --
      73 - Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD
    • KD5NWA
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
        Someone chose for some reason to use .Net and that is tied to the
        *crappy* OS. Also that software may have not been mature enough for
        serious use when they had to make a decision. Now that it's made it's
        very time consuming to switch.

        Myself I'm a Delphi fan, that is available for Window and
        Linux(Kylix), but not for the Mac which is BSD on Power PC chips.

        At 09:27 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
        >On 10/2/05, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:
        > > For those interested, I found the link below to free evaluation
        > > software for the Microsoft C# compiler. It's a large download (289
        > > Megs) and some of the software only works until May 2006, other parts
        > > work for a period of 1 year.
        >
        >There is a Free C# runtime/development environment called mono.
        >
        >http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
        >
        >It is cross-platform, than tied to a single proprietary *crappy* OS. I
        >wonder why powerSDR developers are not embracing that platform instead
        >of the one from M$ . Spirit of amateur radio is not that of the
        >spirit of propreitary software development.
        >
        >--
        >73 - Ramakrishnan, VU3RDD

        >--

        Cecil Bayona
        KD5NWA
        www.qrpradio.com

        I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
        same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
        only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...