Re: [softrock40] Re: Mini Buy

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
      At 09:34 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
      >Hello Cecil,
      >
      >I have been trying since Thursday to get this to you. I guess your
      >SPAM filter caught me as well.
      >
      >If it is not too late, please put me down for the following:
      >
      >FIN1002-5M Quantity 2
      >
      >74ACT74 SOIC Quantity 6
      >
      >74ACT74 DIP Quantity 2
      >
      >100 Ohm metal film resistor Quantity 20
      >
      >LP2985 LDO 3.3V regulator Quantity 2
      >
      >Thanks for your time and effort.
      >
      >73,
      >Patrick KF4LMZ

      I wonder what is going on, most people who write to me stating that
      they don't see their entries or they have not been updated to new
      quantities, but when I look they are in there with the correct
      quantities. But then I hit the refresh button every time I go to the page.

      This page is changing multiple times a day, if you don't refresh your
      browser you will be looking at an old page stored in your PC instead
      of the updated page from my site, that is how browsers work. My
      browser is set to refresh pages older than one hour and even then I
      have to hit the refresh button or I will be looking at old data, most
      browsers the default is 24 hours so you might be looking at a page
      that is a day old.

      I just looked, your call letters and quantities match what you just
      mentioned, so have you refreshed your browser?

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

    • Robert Koblish
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2008
        On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:
        > ... so have you refreshed your browser?

        Cecil,

        I.ve refreshed my browser every time I've looked at the website. Up
        'til just now, it kept showing me status effective the morning of the
        29th, with 771 page views. Now I'm seeing status effective
        03-01-2008 21:30 CST with 833 reads, but I don't see my name or call.
        Are you still working through the spam-filed emails?

        73
        Bob N3HAT
      • N0FY
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008

          Just a little message – I see your updates on your web when I do a refresh – so there does not appear to be any problem on your web – 73, N0FY, Ray

          ._,___

        • drmail377
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30, 2008
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

            > At 09:34 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
            > >Hello Cecil,
            > >
            > >I have been trying since Thursday to get this to you. I guess your
            > >SPAM filter caught me as well.
            > >
            > >If it is not too late, please put me down for the following:
            > >
            > >FIN1002-5M Quantity 2
            > >
            > >74ACT74 SOIC Quantity 6
            > >
            > >74ACT74 DIP Quantity 2
            > >
            > >100 Ohm metal film resistor Quantity 20
            > >
            > >LP2985 LDO 3.3V regulator Quantity 2
            > >
            > >Thanks for your time and effort.
            > >
            > >73,
            > >Patrick KF4LMZ
            >
            > I wonder what is going on, most people who write to me stating that
            > they don't see their entries or they have not been updated to new
            > quantities, but when I look they are in there with the correct
            > quantities. But then I hit the refresh button every time I go to the
            page.

            > This page is changing multiple times a day, if you don't refresh your
            > browser you will be looking at an old page stored in your PC instead
            > of the updated page from my site, that is how browsers work. My
            > browser is set to refresh pages older than one hour and even then I
            > have to hit the refresh button or I will be looking at old data, most
            > browsers the default is 24 hours so you might be looking at a page
            > that is a day old.
            >
            > I just looked, your call letters and quantities match what you just
            > mentioned, so have you refreshed your browser?
            >

            > Cecil
            > K5NWA
            > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
            >
            > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

            Hi Cecil,

            I'm no expert on Web coding and I'm sure others here may provide a
            better solution; but it seems you can easily ensure your page is newly
            refreshed when first visited by putting the following meta tag into
            the header. Set the date to one earlier than present:

            <META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT">

            How this works is beyond me. It seems counterintuitive, once the page
            is cached, even if it has expired, it seems to me the cached version
            would still be used. But others swear buy it.

            Once a user is at your page, the following tag should make your page
            automatically refreshed every five seconds. Change the "5" to how many
            seconds you want:

            <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="5" />

            The latter tag for refresh is reportedly reliable. These tags are
            standard HTML, if you're using Flash/Coldfusion etc. there are
            specialized headers for these client-side applications.

            73's David
          • drmail377
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30, 2008
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

              > At 09:34 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:
              > >Hello Cecil,
              > >
              > >I have been trying since Thursday to get this to you. I guess your
              > >SPAM filter caught me as well.
              > >
              > >If it is not too late, please put me down for the following:
              > >
              > >FIN1002-5M Quantity 2
              > >
              > >74ACT74 SOIC Quantity 6
              > >
              > >74ACT74 DIP Quantity 2
              > >
              > >100 Ohm metal film resistor Quantity 20
              > >
              > >LP2985 LDO 3.3V regulator Quantity 2
              > >
              > >Thanks for your time and effort.
              > >
              > >73,
              > >Patrick KF4LMZ
              >
              > I wonder what is going on, most people who write to me stating that
              > they don't see their entries or they have not been updated to new
              > quantities, but when I look they are in there with the correct
              > quantities. But then I hit the refresh button every time I go to the
              page.

              > This page is changing multiple times a day, if you don't refresh your
              > browser you will be looking at an old page stored in your PC instead
              > of the updated page from my site, that is how browsers work. My
              > browser is set to refresh pages older than one hour and even then I
              > have to hit the refresh button or I will be looking at old data, most
              > browsers the default is 24 hours so you might be looking at a page
              > that is a day old.
              >
              > I just looked, your call letters and quantities match what you just
              > mentioned, so have you refreshed your browser?
              >

              > Cecil
              > K5NWA
              > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
              >
              > "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."

              Just clicking Refresh may not actually refresh a page in all browsers.
              Usually (certainly in FireFox), CNTRL+R does a true refresh without
              using the old cache contents. The cache is updated as well.

              73,s David
            • k5nwa
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30, 2008
                At 04:03 AM 3/30/2008, you wrote:

                >Hi Cecil,
                >
                >I'm no expert on Web coding and I'm sure others here may provide a
                >better solution; but it seems you can easily ensure your page is newly
                >refreshed when first visited by putting the following meta tag into
                >the header. Set the date to one earlier than present:
                >
                ><META HTTP-EQUIV="expires" CONTENT="Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:21:57 GMT">
                >
                >How this works is beyond me. It seems counterintuitive, once the page
                >is cached, even if it has expired, it seems to me the cached version
                >would still be used. But others swear buy it.
                >
                >Once a user is at your page, the following tag should make your page
                >automatically refreshed every five seconds. Change the "5" to how many
                >seconds you want:
                >
                ><META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="5" />
                >
                >The latter tag for refresh is reportedly reliable. These tags are
                >standard HTML, if you're using Flash/Coldfusion etc. there are
                >specialized headers for these client-side applications.
                >
                >73's David

                Thanks for the tip, I will file it and try it later on.

                I have a backdoor way of fixing it, if I turn off the cache on the
                server I can then have it set the pages date and time to the instant
                the person clicks on the page forcing his browser to do a reload
                since the page's date has change in relation to the browsers cached page.

                Your patch and mine do essentially a similar thing in trying to fake
                the pages date and force a reload. This however is not an efficient
                use of the server's resources since in reality the page has not
                changed possibly in days.