Re: [softrock40] rock in a box

  • mbhayden
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      thanks for the tips bill. yes, i am using both the delta 44 interface kit and the rocky interface kit from tony.  you're information helps me a lot. i had it a little wrong.

      mike ak3f

      On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Bill Dumke <billd@...> wrote:

      Mike,

      First you may well need an RF isolation transformer. If you do use
      that, put it inside the box and use an insulated RF connector. There
      are BNC connectors with an insulated ground, or you could even make your
      own. Also the PTT ground shield should be broken before it touches the
      RXTX (or in this case box). You will be running your ground to the PC
      through the sound card. The rest of the connections can be grounded.
      (I am assuming here that you are using a Delta 44 with the Delta 44
      interface kit and the Rocky serial interface kit. Anything else, you
      are on your own.)

      If you use an AC power supply to get the 12 Vdc for the RXTX, make sure
      the 12 Vdc output ground of the power supply is floating, and not
      connected to the AC ground. It needs to be well isolated from the AC
      ground. I use an old HP 6213A lab power supply, and it works great. I
      would suspect a wall wart designed for medical use would work fine as
      well. Those are very well isolated from ground. If you think you have
      a problem with whatever power supply you are using, just substitute a
      battery for the power supply, and see if that helps with the center
      spike in RX mode.

      Bill WA9PWR