rock in a box

  • ak3f
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      i'm getting ready to mount my 6.2RXTX 40/80 in a metal enclosure.

      from what i have read here, i should insulate all connections through
      the box? otherwise i would have trouble with possible ground loops?

      can i ground the antenna shield to the box and insulate all the other
      connections?

      thanks for any advice,
      mike ak3f
    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        Mike,

        First you may well need an RF isolation transformer. If you do use
        that, put it inside the box and use an insulated RF connector. There
        are BNC connectors with an insulated ground, or you could even make your
        own. Also the PTT ground shield should be broken before it touches the
        RXTX (or in this case box). You will be running your ground to the PC
        through the sound card. The rest of the connections can be grounded.
        (I am assuming here that you are using a Delta 44 with the Delta 44
        interface kit and the Rocky serial interface kit. Anything else, you
        are on your own.)

        If you use an AC power supply to get the 12 Vdc for the RXTX, make sure
        the 12 Vdc output ground of the power supply is floating, and not
        connected to the AC ground. It needs to be well isolated from the AC
        ground. I use an old HP 6213A lab power supply, and it works great. I
        would suspect a wall wart designed for medical use would work fine as
        well. Those are very well isolated from ground. If you think you have
        a problem with whatever power supply you are using, just substitute a
        battery for the power supply, and see if that helps with the center
        spike in RX mode.

        Bill WA9PWR

        ak3f wrote:
        > i'm getting ready to mount my 6.2RXTX 40/80 in a metal enclosure.
        >
        > from what i have read here, i should insulate all connections through
        > the box? otherwise i would have trouble with possible ground loops?
        >
        > can i ground the antenna shield to the box and insulate all the other
        > connections?
        >
        > thanks for any advice,
        > mike ak3f
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mbhayden
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          thanks for the tips bill. yes, i am using both the delta 44 interface kit and the rocky interface kit from tony.  you're information helps me a lot. i had it a little wrong.

          mike ak3f