High Definition 2.0 audio from Dell

  • John Stanley
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2008
      I need a new laptop. Dell seems to be saying that I can get one with
      a "High Definition 2.0" soundcard. It seems also to say it has a
      stereo line input. Does anyone know the specs on this card? (Khz and
      bits).
      Or is there any other option other than an large external USB device?
      I know those can be very good, but I need portability and prefer
      either a built in sound card or a very small external USB/PCMCIA one.
      I presently use a PCMCIA (Audigy) with acceptable results, but it
      seems the new laptops have no PC slot.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 29, 2008
        > I need a new laptop. Dell seems to be saying that I can get one with
        > a "High Definition 2.0" soundcard. It seems also to say it has a
        > stereo line input. Does anyone know the specs on this card? (Khz and
        > bits).

        I'm not sure if it's the same, but my E1405, purchased about 8 months
        ago, has a SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC. It has a combo
        mic/stereo line iput jack. While the thing seems to support sampling
        at 192K, the spectrum looks like it's only 96K and I can't find any
        sound card setting to improve it. Also, there seems to be a constant
        one-sample-at-192K offset between Left and Right, making it nearly
        impossible to null the image. I ended up getting a Sound Blaster
        Live! 24 External to use with this machine. (Still a bit quirky
        because of Vista.)

        Dave, WA3OFF
      • Michael St. Angelo
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          Dave,

          I seem to have the same problem nulling the image with my Dell D620 using
          Rocky. It has a Sigma Tel Audio soundcard.. How did you determine that it
          had a sample offset at 192k?

          Thanks,

          Mike N2Ms

          >> I need a new laptop. Dell seems to be saying that I can get one with
          >> a "High Definition 2.0" soundcard. It seems also to say it has a
          >> stereo line input. Does anyone know the specs on this card? (Khz and
          >> bits).
          >
          > I'm not sure if it's the same, but my E1405, purchased about 8 months
          > ago, has a SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC. It has a combo
          > mic/stereo line iput jack. While the thing seems to support sampling
          > at 192K, the spectrum looks like it's only 96K and I can't find any
          > sound card setting to improve it. Also, there seems to be a constant
          > one-sample-at-192K offset between Left and Right, making it nearly
          > impossible to null the image. I ended up getting a Sound Blaster
          > Live! 24 External to use with this machine. (Still a bit quirky
          > because of Vista.)
          >
          > Dave, WA3OFF

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2008
            > I seem to have the same problem nulling the image with my Dell D620
            > using Rocky. It has a Sigma Tel Audio soundcard.. How did you
            > determine that it had a sample offset at 192k?

            My laptop machine has Vista and Rocky doesn't see any sound card, so
            I can't comment on whether or not Rocky is capable of using it at
            192K with another OS like XP. Using KGKSDR Transceiver 1.1 and
            ASIO4ALL I was able to operate it at 48K (ASIO4ALL limited to 48K)
            and do a manual calibration that resulted in a steep phase curve.
            Calculations showed the phase offset to be equivalent to one sample
            time at 192K. I was able to see the same fixed time offset using
            KGKSDR 1.0 Decoder 96K (does not use ASIO4ALL). Unfortunately,
            KGKSDR won't auto null with such high phase offsets.

            Winrad seems to work fine at 192K (although the sound card seems
            silent beyond 96K) and I was able to get reasonable nulling with a one
            sample offset at 192K.

            Dave