RE: [softrock40] softrock40 on the internet!

  • Steven Bible
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
      John,

      It's good to see you are still alive and well!

      Your idea of networking receivers around the world reminded me of the
      Universal Digital Reciever (UDR) Project at Ohio State University, under
      Prof. Grant Hampson. In looking at my bookmarks, I have

      http://esl.eng.ohio-state.edu/~gah/rdr.html

      Alas, the link is no good. So a Google search of

      "universal digital receiver project"

      (you must include the quotes) yields a cached version of the page that was
      good as of Nov. 25, 2004. The page tells more of the receiver hardware and
      not much information about the software and networking. It was this
      hardware that inspired the SDR-14 by RFSpace (http://www.rfspace.com/).

      I thought you might find it interesting and maybe it has some leads into
      networking multiple receivers. I think this would be a very cool project.

      73,

      - Steve, N7HPR
      (n7hpr@...)

    • Rein A. Smit
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
        Would it be really much fun having some super server streaming high
        resolution raw 20 meter or 144 Mhz
        wide band data of the moon? { Aracibo )

        73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

      • fargonaz
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@s...>
          wrote:
          > First I would like to say how impressed I have been with the little
          > SoftRock40 and the PowerSDR software. It has been a long time
          since I
          > have worked HF and this has really got me interested again. Thanks
          > everyone who has put this together.
          >
          > I have been thinking about putting the SoftRock40 on the internet
          with a
          > simple server reading the I/Q signals and serving them to clients
          that
          > connect (limited by my uplink speed). What is interesting about
          this is
          > that each client can then independently tune across the passband of
          the
          > receiver. Imagine a whole network of these little receivers around
          the
          > world. Want to check out the conditions on 40 Mtrs in Europe -
          just
          > connect to one in Europe and tune around!
          >
          > I am a Unix/Linux/Java software engineer by profession and have
          good
          > development systems for these environments. I do not have any
          Microsoft
          > development systems - note the email address ;-).
          >
          > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this
          to use
          > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
          > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.
          >
          > Would anyone be interested in helping with this development? In
          > particular I would be looking for someone that would be prepared to
          look
          > at the PowerSDR Windows code to modify it to get the audio data
          from a
          > socket rather than the audio device or a Wave file.
          >
          > let me know what you think and if you can be of any help.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > John Melton, g0orx/n6lyt

          I wish I could help I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag in
          C, C++, or C#.

          But Phil Covington N8VB seems to be working on a similar slant, his
          page www.philcovington.com, under software projects has a couple of
          intersting parts and with Mono someone might be able to get something
          started.
        • Edson Pereira
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
            Hi Art,

            The 40m Spectrometer is in the process of being relocated to a new
            QTH. It was in the urban QTH of William, PY2GN, but William had to
            move and for a few weeks the spectrometer was temporarily in the QTH
            of William's friend. It is currently off-the-air and will be
            reactivated in William's rural QTH, a much quieter location.

            73,

            -- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, 7n4ncl

          • KY1K
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
              Thanks for the info Edson. I must have caught it when it was running
              and it indicated my 100 watts was very readable there (from Maine).
              I'd appreciate knowing when it is activated again and what the new URL is.

              I hope to have a similar setup using the softrock-LF available via
              the internet from my house someday. Having DSL is nice even though it
              isn't terribly fast:<:

              Regards,

              Art

              At 10:58 PM 10/1/2005, you wrote:

              >Hi Art,
              >
              >The 40m Spectrometer is in the process of being relocated to a new
              >QTH. It was in the urban QTH of William, PY2GN, but William had to
              >move and for a few weeks the spectrometer was temporarily in the QTH
              >of William's friend. It is currently off-the-air and will be
              >reactivated in William's rural QTH, a much quieter location.
              >
              >73,
              >
              >-- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, 7n4ncl
            • Frank Brickle
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@s...> wrote:

                > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this to
                use
                > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
                > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.

                John --

                As far as the Linux code goes, it's pretty straightforward to
                implement networked sources and sinks for jack data without programming.

                The hooks to jack are made using ecasound. The hooks from ecasound to
                the network are accomplished by starting ecasound as a child of one of
                the netpipes programs (hose or faucet).

                This all happens at the command-line level. It's a little heavyweight
                to use for production, but it's an easy way to get off the ground at
                the start.

                73
                Frank
                AB2KT
              • John Melton
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                  Hi Frank,

                  thanks for the info. I will be away on vacation for the next week but
                  will get back to looking at this when I get back.

                  Regards,

                  -- John g0orx/n6lyt