Re: [softrock40] softrock40 on the internet!

  • John H. Fisher
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
      This is a terrific idea, what a wonderful concept. The possibilities are
      infinite. Wish I knew enough to help out, but please pursue this line of
      thinking. A world wide receiver linked by the Internet, Wow :-)

      John Melton wrote:

      > First I would like to say how impressed I have been with the little
      > SoftRock40 and the PowerSDR software. It has been a long time since I
      > have worked HF and this has really got me interested again. Thanks to
      > everyone who has put this together.
      >
      > I have been thinking about putting the SoftRock40 on the internet with a
      > simple server reading the I/Q signals and serving them to clients that
      > connect (limited by my uplink speed). What is interesting about this is
      > that each client can then independently tune across the passband of the
      > receiver. Imagine a whole network of these little receivers around the
      > world. Want to check out the conditions on 40 Mtrs in Europe - just
      > connect to one in Europe and tune around!
      >
      > I am a Unix/Linux/Java software engineer by profession and have good
      > development systems for these environments. I do not have any Microsoft
      > development systems - note the email address ;-).
      >
      > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this to use
      > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
      > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.
      >
      > Would anyone be interested in helping with this development? In
      > particular I would be looking for someone that would be prepared to look
      > at the PowerSDR Windows code to modify it to get the audio data from a
      > socket rather than the audio device or a Wave file.
      >
      > let me know what you think and if you can be of any help.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > John Melton, g0orx/n6lyt

      Regards,
      John

      email: k5jhf@...
      photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
      files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
      web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
      call sign: K5JHF
    • KY1K
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
        Although it's not a softrock, there is a 40 meter QSD based 40 meter
        receiver on the internet, it is not full time. Several weeks ago, I
        sent a string of slow cw and was able to see my signal on the screen
        as it was received in South America.....which was neat.

        Don't know if it's still up.

        Try http://appr.org.br/qrpbr/spectrum.php

        There are also quite a few LF monitoring stations connected via the
        nternet, although these are usually very expensive receivers
        dedicated to this function full time and they display visual
        snapshots of the spectrum rather than making audio available.
        Typically, they monitor the lowfer (160-190 Khz) license free band
        and the 137 Khz ham bands (for most of the world, or part 5 license
        band for the US at 137 Khz).

        Despite my best efforts to publicize the softrock type receivers, the
        general population tends to think a Kenwood or Yaesu megabucks
        receiver is the only receiver worth using. I think these sort of
        people are missing the boat, but that's a topic for another day.

        I just finished my design for a 400 Khz to DC using an inexpensive
        crystal oscillator module and a programmable divider. It does not use
        DDS or VCO technology. It is very inexpensive to build and makes use
        of a programmable divider to cover 400 Khz and below. I'm happy to
        email the schematic to anyone who is interested in it.

        I'm looking for a 12.8 Mhz TCXO or OXCO for the prototype although
        most users will not need the high stability oscillator. If anyone has
        a source for them at reasonable prices, please email me (off list).

        Regards,

        Art

        >This is a terrific idea, what a wonderful concept. The possibilities are
        >infinite. Wish I knew enough to help out, but please pursue this line of
        >thinking. A world wide receiver linked by the Internet, Wow :-)
        >
        >John Melton wrote:
        >
        > > First I would like to say how impressed I have been with the little
        > > SoftRock40 and the PowerSDR software. It has been a long time since I
        > > have worked HF and this has really got me interested again. Thanks to
        > > everyone who has put this together.
        > >
        > > I have been thinking about putting the SoftRock40 on the internet with a
        > > simple server reading the I/Q signals and serving them to clients that
        > > connect (limited by my uplink speed). What is interesting about this is
        > > that each client can then independently tune across the passband of the
        > > receiver. Imagine a whole network of these little receivers around the
        > > world. Want to check out the conditions on 40 Mtrs in Europe - just
        > > connect to one in Europe and tune around!
        > >
        > > I am a Unix/Linux/Java software engineer by profession and have good
        > > development systems for these environments. I do not have any Microsoft
        > > development systems - note the email address ;-).
        > >
        > > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this to use
        > > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
        > > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.
        > >
        > > Would anyone be interested in helping with this development? In
        > > particular I would be looking for someone that would be prepared to look
        > > at the PowerSDR Windows code to modify it to get the audio data from a
        > > socket rather than the audio device or a Wave file.
        > >
        > > let me know what you think and if you can be of any help.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > >
        > > John Melton, g0orx/n6lyt

        >--
        > Regards,
        > John

        >email: k5jhf@...
        >photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
        >files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
        >web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
        >call sign: K5JHF

      • Steven Bible
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
          John,

          It's good to see you are still alive and well!

          Your idea of networking receivers around the world reminded me of the
          Universal Digital Reciever (UDR) Project at Ohio State University, under
          Prof. Grant Hampson. In looking at my bookmarks, I have

          http://esl.eng.ohio-state.edu/~gah/rdr.html

          Alas, the link is no good. So a Google search of

          "universal digital receiver project"

          (you must include the quotes) yields a cached version of the page that was
          good as of Nov. 25, 2004. The page tells more of the receiver hardware and
          not much information about the software and networking. It was this
          hardware that inspired the SDR-14 by RFSpace (http://www.rfspace.com/).

          I thought you might find it interesting and maybe it has some leads into
          networking multiple receivers. I think this would be a very cool project.

          73,

          - Steve, N7HPR
          (n7hpr@...)

        • Rein A. Smit
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
            Would it be really much fun having some super server streaming high
            resolution raw 20 meter or 144 Mhz
            wide band data of the moon? { Aracibo )

            73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

          • fargonaz
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@s...>
              wrote:
              > First I would like to say how impressed I have been with the little
              > SoftRock40 and the PowerSDR software. It has been a long time
              since I
              > have worked HF and this has really got me interested again. Thanks
              > everyone who has put this together.
              >
              > I have been thinking about putting the SoftRock40 on the internet
              with a
              > simple server reading the I/Q signals and serving them to clients
              that
              > connect (limited by my uplink speed). What is interesting about
              this is
              > that each client can then independently tune across the passband of
              the
              > receiver. Imagine a whole network of these little receivers around
              the
              > world. Want to check out the conditions on 40 Mtrs in Europe -
              just
              > connect to one in Europe and tune around!
              >
              > I am a Unix/Linux/Java software engineer by profession and have
              good
              > development systems for these environments. I do not have any
              Microsoft
              > development systems - note the email address ;-).
              >
              > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this
              to use
              > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
              > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.
              >
              > Would anyone be interested in helping with this development? In
              > particular I would be looking for someone that would be prepared to
              look
              > at the PowerSDR Windows code to modify it to get the audio data
              from a
              > socket rather than the audio device or a Wave file.
              >
              > let me know what you think and if you can be of any help.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > John Melton, g0orx/n6lyt

              I wish I could help I couldn't code my way out of a wet paper bag in
              C, C++, or C#.

              But Phil Covington N8VB seems to be working on a similar slant, his
              page www.philcovington.com, under software projects has a couple of
              intersting parts and with Mono someone might be able to get something
              started.
            • Edson Pereira
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
                Hi Art,

                The 40m Spectrometer is in the process of being relocated to a new
                QTH. It was in the urban QTH of William, PY2GN, but William had to
                move and for a few weeks the spectrometer was temporarily in the QTH
                of William's friend. It is currently off-the-air and will be
                reactivated in William's rural QTH, a much quieter location.

                73,

                -- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, 7n4ncl

              • KY1K
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2005
                  Thanks for the info Edson. I must have caught it when it was running
                  and it indicated my 100 watts was very readable there (from Maine).
                  I'd appreciate knowing when it is activated again and what the new URL is.

                  I hope to have a similar setup using the softrock-LF available via
                  the internet from my house someday. Having DSL is nice even though it
                  isn't terribly fast:<:

                  Regards,

                  Art

                  At 10:58 PM 10/1/2005, you wrote:

                  >Hi Art,
                  >
                  >The 40m Spectrometer is in the process of being relocated to a new
                  >QTH. It was in the urban QTH of William, PY2GN, but William had to
                  >move and for a few weeks the spectrometer was temporarily in the QTH
                  >of William's friend. It is currently off-the-air and will be
                  >reactivated in William's rural QTH, a much quieter location.
                  >
                  >73,
                  >
                  >-- Edson, pu1jte, n1vtn, 7n4ncl
                • Frank Brickle
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Melton <john.melton@s...> wrote:

                    > I have downloaded the Linux code and am currently working on this to
                    use
                    > a socket connection to receive the I/Q data, and also looking at
                    > implementing a GUI interface - possibly in Java.

                    John --

                    As far as the Linux code goes, it's pretty straightforward to
                    implement networked sources and sinks for jack data without programming.

                    The hooks to jack are made using ecasound. The hooks from ecasound to
                    the network are accomplished by starting ecasound as a child of one of
                    the netpipes programs (hose or faucet).

                    This all happens at the command-line level. It's a little heavyweight
                    to use for production, but it's an easy way to get off the ground at
                    the start.

                    73
                    Frank
                    AB2KT
                  • John Melton
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 2, 2005
                      Hi Frank,

                      thanks for the info. I will be away on vacation for the next week but
                      will get back to looking at this when I get back.

                      Regards,

                      -- John g0orx/n6lyt