Re: [softrock40] Help With U5 Diagnosis (SoftRock Lite)

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 51 , Feb 3, 2008

      Hi Bill,

      There have been a few cases where U5 in the SoftRock Lite has been damaged when plugging the SoftRock's audio cable into a soundcard. I think the damage has been caused by an AC potential difference between the SoftRock circuit ground and the soundcard circuit ground. Pin 1 of U5 is connected to the tip of the audio cable so when plugging the cable into the soundcard the tip first contacts the soundcard ground of the line-in jack.

      Would you be able to make a voltage measurement between the SoftRock circuit ground and the ground of your soundcard, (barrel of line-in jack), when the SoftRock is connected to your power supply and without the audio cable plugged into your soundcard?

      Thanks and 73,

      Tony KB9YIG

      Message 51 of 51 , Feb 7, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I was going through old notebook #1 of cool RX circuits and ran
        into a mixer Rohde put in "Ham Radio" back in '77 or so. 4 - 2N5109s
        referenced to ground. Sure looks like an H mode mixer to me. Not
        quite as old as the 4 tube version I found in the West Coast
        Handbook. frank WA1GFZ

        Hi Francis and All,

        Old book are very important to renew ideas and to learn ...

        The double balanced mixer you are referring to is not an H-Mode
        Mixer. The circuit diagram may confuse you because it may looks
        similar to my 2 Transformer version of the H-Mode Mixer, having, in
        particular, a 5 windings transformer.

        Ulrich's design is an active mixer, using 4 transistors 2N5109, and
        also an intelligent application of the classic passive double
        balanced 4 diodes mixer. The circuit has the LO and RF input
        from/through the same transformer (5 windings) driving each
        transistor base with both signals (RF and LO). The transistors are
        doing the mixing work and the output transformer is working as a
        summer.
        Ulrich's, DJ2LR/N1UL, key point in this circuit is the application of
        rf feedback to each transistor stage obtaining superior IMD
        performance versus prior fet and tube mixer designs.

        Ed Oxner, KB6QJ, worked on mixers since the 70s while at Siliconix,
        going from FET, transistors to power mosfets. In the 80s he came out
        with the double balanced mixer using the Siliconicx Si8901 monolithic
        quad ring mosfet and later a commutating mixer with resonant drive
        transformer. It was the best mixer at that time.
        In 1993 Jacob Makhinson, N6NWP, presented a High Dynamic HF front-end
        based on the Si8901, driven by a 74HC74 to provide a square wave LO
        injection.

        N6NWP circuit was modified by Colin Horrabin, G3SBI, using the SD5000
        FET array and a 74AC74 to provide square-wave injection. A further
        step was the development of the well known H-Mode Mixer using 3
        transformers. What makes the H-Mode Mixer different from all others
        is not the circuit diagram "form" looking like an H but moving the
        mixing action from a semiconductor to the transformers, thanks to the
        FETs switching to ground the output transformers windings. This also
        brought the benefit of not having the LO modulating the RF signal as
        in the previous configurations where the FETs or transistors were in
        serial between transformers windings. In 1998 the SD5000 was
        replaced by the FST3125.

        Yaesu, lately Icom and now Elecraft K3 are using the "basic" Oxner
        mixer configuration with mosfet switches array. K3 has not an H-Mode
        Mixer.

        73

        Gian
        I7SWX