Re: [softrock40] Almost there

  • Bill Dumke
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
      Bob,

      One thing that happens once in a while is a defective audio cable. You
      can check then out with an Ohm meter.

      Bill WA9PWR

      Robert Lorenzini wrote:
      > Well I finished my softrock rxtx but I must have goofed the
      > xformers or something. The left side of the spectrum display
      > is a mirror image of the right. Any ideas where to look. I
      > took a lot of care color coding the leads on the torids but
      > mistakes happen.
      >
      > Bob - wd6dod
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • yournotme2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bill Dumke <billd@...> wrote:

        > Bob,
        >
        > One thing that happens once in a while is a defective audio cable. You
        > can check then out with an Ohm meter.
        >
        > Bill WA9PWR

        Oh I only wish it were that simple. I will keep looking.

        Bob
      • Tony Parks
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008

          Hi Bob,

          No RX image rejection results when one of the I / Q signals from the RXTX board is missing or not getting to stereo line-in inputs to the soundcard. If both signals are the same it will also result in no RX image rejection.

          If you have an 40m RF source with an output of 0.2 volts p-p and can observe the TIP and RING outputs relative to ground on the RXTX board, you should be able to see two sine waves of about 2 volts p-p that have a 90 degrees phase relationship to each other.

          There have been a few cases of U8 failing due to an AC potential between the soundcard ground and the RXTX circuit ground. U8 pin 1 and pin 7 DC levels should be about 2.5 volts relative to circuit ground if U8 is good.

          If T4 is not wired correctly to the RXTX board no RX image rejection can also result. Check for proper routing of the T4 leads as shown in the builder's notes or a problem with soldering of T4 leads to the circuit board.

          Hope the debug goes well.

          73,
          Tony KB9YIG

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

            > Hope the debug goes well.
            >
            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

            Well as it turns out it appears that my Inspiron 6000 only has
            a mono mike input. This sucks.

            Bob - wd6dod
          • Bill Dumke
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
              Bob,

              That appears to be typical of many laptops. You can use an external USB
              soundcard.

              Bill WA9PWR

              yournotme2003 wrote:
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Hope the debug goes well.
              >>
              >> 73,
              >> Tony KB9YIG
              >>

              > Well as it turns out it appears that my Inspiron 6000 only has
              > a mono mike input. This sucks.
              >

              > Bob - wd6dod
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Tim Gorman
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
                On Sunday 03 February 2008 17:37, yournotme2003 wrote:
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:
                > > Hope the debug goes well.
                > >
                > > 73,
                > > Tony KB9YIG
                >
                > Well as it turns out it appears that my Inspiron 6000 only has
                > a mono mike input. This sucks.
                >

                > Bob - wd6dod

                Bob,

                Get into your audio mixer and see if you can change the input from being a
                "microphone" input to being a "line in" input. The actual input jack may be
                stereo but it may one be used as a stereo input when used as a "line in"
                input.

                tim ab0wr