Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Soldering technique

Expand Messages
  • Mike Yancey
    I ve used only a conventional soldering iron and lead solder (but small diameter). If, say, I m going to do all of the SMT capacitors, I put a touch of solder
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      I've used only a conventional soldering iron and lead solder (but
      small diameter).

      If, say, I'm going to do all of the SMT capacitors, I put a touch
      of solder on ONE of the pads for the caps - only enough to 'wet'
      the pad, or cover it. Then once that's done for all the caps,
      I hold each in place and just touch the iron to the end over the
      pre-soldered pad. Once they're all attached like this, it's easy
      to just go around and touch a tiny bit to the other ends.

      I've built an 80/40 successfully so far and I'm mid-way through
      the 20/30 - actually the 20/30 daughter card tests good.

      Similarly with the ICs, just pre-wet one pin, position the part
      and tack. Just so. I do try to 1) NOT spend too much time on
      each pin I touch and 2) if I hit a pin on IC1, I'll move on to
      IC2 and IC3 before I come back.

      73
      Mike Yancey
      Dallas, Texas

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Larry W. Irwin Sr"
      <nekoshorty@...> wrote:

      > I am new to surface mount soldering and need some advice. I have
      > built two softrocks with no success. I "think" my smt soldering was ok
      > but I had mega-trouble getting good solder joints on the components
      > with leads. Does this mean that I should use a regular iron and solder
      > for those components?
      >
      > Any advice would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks & 73
      > Larry
      > WB4HLX
      >
    • Damon Wascom
      Here is a quick and dirty method of soldering the SMT IC s: Tack one of the pins (as indicated in other posts). Go to the otherside of the IC and run a blob of
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
        Here is a quick and dirty method of soldering the SMT IC's:
        Tack one of the pins (as indicated in other posts).
        Go to the otherside of the IC and run a blob of solder across all of
        the pins.
        Do the same to the other side (the one with the tacked pin).
        Place a length of solder wick across all of the pins on one side and
        let it soak up all of the excess solder. Then do the same on the
        other side.
        Be sure and inspect every pin for solder bridges and add solder where
        needed.
        Before I do this method, I like to "paint" the PCB pads with liquid
        flux. This REALLY keeps the number of solder bridges down.
        Infact, with a little practice (and flux) the solder wick is
        unnecesary and looks really shiny.
        I find that the extra flux keeps the solder from crossing over to the
        next pad.

        73, Damon KC5CQW


        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Yancey" <mikeyancey@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > I've used only a conventional soldering iron and lead solder (but
        > small diameter).
        >
        > If, say, I'm going to do all of the SMT capacitors, I put a touch
        > of solder on ONE of the pads for the caps - only enough to 'wet'
        > the pad, or cover it. Then once that's done for all the caps,
        > I hold each in place and just touch the iron to the end over the
        > pre-soldered pad. Once they're all attached like this, it's easy
        > to just go around and touch a tiny bit to the other ends.
        >
        > I've built an 80/40 successfully so far and I'm mid-way through
        > the 20/30 - actually the 20/30 daughter card tests good.
        >
        > Similarly with the ICs, just pre-wet one pin, position the part
        > and tack. Just so. I do try to 1) NOT spend too much time on
        > each pin I touch and 2) if I hit a pin on IC1, I'll move on to
        > IC2 and IC3 before I come back.
        >
        > 73
        > Mike Yancey
        > Dallas, Texas
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Larry W. Irwin Sr"
        > <nekoshorty@> wrote:
        >
        > > I am new to surface mount soldering and need some advice. I have
        > > built two softrocks with no success. I "think" my smt soldering
        was ok
        > > but I had mega-trouble getting good solder joints on the
        components
        > > with leads. Does this mean that I should use a regular iron and
        solder
        > > for those components?
        > >
        > > Any advice would be appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks & 73
        > > Larry
        > > WB4HLX
        > >
        >
      • k5nwa
        ... Below is a link to G7NBP s Blog where he has some videos demonstrating this and other soldering techniques towards the bottom of his article.
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
          At 08:15 AM 2/3/2008, you wrote:

          >Here is a quick and dirty method of soldering the SMT IC's:
          >Tack one of the pins (as indicated in other posts).
          >Go to the otherside of the IC and run a blob of solder across all of
          >the pins.
          >
          >73, Damon KC5CQW
          >

          Below is a link to G7NBP's Blog where he has some videos
          demonstrating this and other soldering techniques towards the bottom
          of his article.

          < http://www.softrockradio.org/g7nbp >


          Cecil
          K5NWA
          www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

          "Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light."
        • Larry W. Irwin Sr
          ... I have been trying to repair them. no luck yet. Thanks & 73 Larry WB4HLX
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:
            >
            > Do you have pictures?
            > and
            > What have you done with the non-working ones?
            >
            >
            > Ray KI4VDJ

            I have been trying to repair them. no luck yet.

            Thanks & 73
            Larry
            WB4HLX
          • Larry W. Irwin Sr
            Hi, Thank you all for the excellent responses to my question. I believe I can build a SoftRock successfully now. May all of your projects be excellent! Larry
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
              Hi,

              Thank you all for the excellent responses to my question. I believe
              I can build a SoftRock successfully now.

              May all of your projects be excellent!

              Larry
              WB4HLX
            • R R Robson
              Larry: By all means, keep me abreast of developments with your Softrocks. I have built two and am about to finish a third. The first - a Lite (RX) - didn t
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                Larry:
                 
                By all means, keep me abreast of developments with your Softrocks.  I have built two and am about to finish a third.  The first - a Lite (RX) - didn't work for a bit and I left it on the shelf for a while.  Then came back to it and - after repairing a bad solder job on one of the ICs was reqarded with a working RX.  Still waiting for that flash of insight that will help me get my first RXTX to work.  I'll be posting the hopefully imminent success with my second RXTX and, once it is working, will use it as a baseline to go back to the first RXTX to see what happened there.
                 
                73 de robby wb5rvz

                Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 4:56 PM
                Subject: [softrock40] Re: Soldering technique

                Hi,

                Thank you all for the excellent responses to my question. I believe
                I can build a SoftRock successfully now.

                May all of your projects be excellent!

                Larry
                WB4HLX

              • Raymond KI4VDJ
                Hi Larry, WB4HLX, If you didn t receive my other email - I just discovered you live like 5 miles from me. Small world. I can help you with your Softrock
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                  Hi Larry, WB4HLX,

                  If you didn't receive my other email - I just discovered you live like 5
                  miles from me. Small world.

                  I can help you with your Softrock devices if you like.

                  73

                  Ray KI4VDJ

                  Larry W. Irwin Sr wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  > Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Do you have pictures?
                  > > and
                  > > What have you done with the non-working ones?
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > Ray KI4VDJ
                  >
                  > I have been trying to repair them. no luck yet.
                  >
                  > Thanks & 73
                  > Larry
                  > WB4HLX
                  >
                • Larry W. Irwin Sr
                  ... like 5 ... Well! How about that? In all honesty, I need all the help I can get . I don t have a car so I must ask you to come here. Sorry about that.
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi Larry, WB4HLX,
                    >
                    > If you didn't receive my other email - I just discovered you live
                    like 5
                    > miles from me. Small world.
                    >
                    > I can help you with your Softrock devices if you like.
                    >
                    > 73
                    >
                    > Ray KI4VDJ

                    Well! How about that? In all honesty, I need all the help I can get
                    <grin>. I don't have a car so I must ask you to come here. Sorry about
                    that. I guess you know my address from qrz.com or something. Do you
                    know how to find the place?

                    You may come on any day you like, just please, please don't show up
                    before noon. Me and my housemates usually go to bed about 3 or 4 am
                    and don't get up until noon. The lady of the house gets very irate if
                    someone knocks on the door when she is asleep.

                    I also do not have an internet connection at home so it will be a
                    day or two at least before I come to a friend's house to use the net.

                    I really appreciate the offer. If you have a 2 meter fm rig, we can
                    arrange a schedule to talk since we are so close.

                    Thanks again,
                    Larry WB4HLX
                  • Larry W. Irwin Sr
                    ... Thanks, I will certainly post my progress here. A ham who lives only five miles away contacted me and offered to help. Maybe we can give some advice when
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > Larry:
                      >
                      > By all means, keep me abreast of developments with your Softrocks.

                      Thanks, I will certainly post my progress here. A ham who lives only
                      five miles away contacted me and offered to help. Maybe we can give
                      some advice when we figure what is going on.

                      Thanks,
                      Larry WB4HLX
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.