Re: [softrock40] Soldering technique

  • Leon
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
      From: "Larry W. Irwin Sr" <nekoshorty@...>
      To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 12:14 AM
      Subject: [softrock40] Soldering technique

      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new to surface mount soldering and need some advice. I have
      > built two softrocks with no success. I "think" my smt soldering was ok
      > but I had mega-trouble getting good solder joints on the components
      > with leads. Does this mean that I should use a regular iron and solder
      > for those components?

      Yes, it's essential!

      Leon
      --
      Leon Heller
      Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
        Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 5:58 AM
        Subject: Re: [softrock40] Soldering technique

        I'm building my fist softrock right now.  I au using a Weller WCPTP with a long 700F conical tip.
        I use .015" Kester 44 solder.  I've hand soldered the SMT caps, and I'm using the same setp for the through-hole components.  I have noticed it seems to be a little more difficult to get the solder to flow than I'm used to.  The small tip doesn't offer a lot of suface area to conduct heat, but if possible, I stick the tip into the hole on the PCB.  Sometimes I have to heat the component lead and allow time for the PCB pad to heat up due to contact with the lead.  Use the minimum amount of solder to get a good joint..the pads are small and although they're solder-masked, it can be pretty easy to solder bridge to the groung plane.

        I may try to use the reflow method for the IC's...I'll take a stab at hand soldering first, but if it gets too ugly, I'll put down the soldering iron and reach for the soldering paste and embossing tool.

        You need plenty of heat for PTH soldering, something like a chisel tip would be much better. I use one about 2 mm wide.

        Leon
        --
        Leon Heller
        Amateur radio call-sign G1HSM
        Yaesu FT-817ND and FT-857D transceivers
        Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle
        leon355@...
        http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
      • Mike Yancey
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2008
          I've used only a conventional soldering iron and lead solder (but
          small diameter).

          If, say, I'm going to do all of the SMT capacitors, I put a touch
          of solder on ONE of the pads for the caps - only enough to 'wet'
          the pad, or cover it. Then once that's done for all the caps,
          I hold each in place and just touch the iron to the end over the
          pre-soldered pad. Once they're all attached like this, it's easy
          to just go around and touch a tiny bit to the other ends.

          I've built an 80/40 successfully so far and I'm mid-way through
          the 20/30 - actually the 20/30 daughter card tests good.

          Similarly with the ICs, just pre-wet one pin, position the part
          and tack. Just so. I do try to 1) NOT spend too much time on
          each pin I touch and 2) if I hit a pin on IC1, I'll move on to
          IC2 and IC3 before I come back.

          73
          Mike Yancey
          Dallas, Texas

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Larry W. Irwin Sr"
          <nekoshorty@...> wrote:

          > I am new to surface mount soldering and need some advice. I have
          > built two softrocks with no success. I "think" my smt soldering was ok
          > but I had mega-trouble getting good solder joints on the components
          > with leads. Does this mean that I should use a regular iron and solder
          > for those components?
          >
          > Any advice would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks & 73
          > Larry
          > WB4HLX

        • Damon Wascom
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
            Here is a quick and dirty method of soldering the SMT IC's:
            Tack one of the pins (as indicated in other posts).
            Go to the otherside of the IC and run a blob of solder across all of
            the pins.
            Do the same to the other side (the one with the tacked pin).
            Place a length of solder wick across all of the pins on one side and
            let it soak up all of the excess solder. Then do the same on the
            other side.
            Be sure and inspect every pin for solder bridges and add solder where
            needed.
            Before I do this method, I like to "paint" the PCB pads with liquid
            flux. This REALLY keeps the number of solder bridges down.
            Infact, with a little practice (and flux) the solder wick is
            unnecesary and looks really shiny.
            I find that the extra flux keeps the solder from crossing over to the
            next pad.

            73, Damon KC5CQW

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Yancey" <mikeyancey@...>
            wrote:

            > I've used only a conventional soldering iron and lead solder (but
            > small diameter).
            >
            > If, say, I'm going to do all of the SMT capacitors, I put a touch
            > of solder on ONE of the pads for the caps - only enough to 'wet'
            > the pad, or cover it. Then once that's done for all the caps,
            > I hold each in place and just touch the iron to the end over the
            > pre-soldered pad. Once they're all attached like this, it's easy
            > to just go around and touch a tiny bit to the other ends.
            >
            > I've built an 80/40 successfully so far and I'm mid-way through
            > the 20/30 - actually the 20/30 daughter card tests good.
            >
            > Similarly with the ICs, just pre-wet one pin, position the part
            > and tack. Just so. I do try to 1) NOT spend too much time on
            > each pin I touch and 2) if I hit a pin on IC1, I'll move on to
            > IC2 and IC3 before I come back.
            >
            > 73
            > Mike Yancey
            > Dallas, Texas
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Larry W. Irwin Sr"
            > <nekoshorty@> wrote:
            >
            > > I am new to surface mount soldering and need some advice. I have
            > > built two softrocks with no success. I "think" my smt soldering
            was ok
            > > but I had mega-trouble getting good solder joints on the
            components
            > > with leads. Does this mean that I should use a regular iron and
            solder
            > > for those components?
            > >
            > > Any advice would be appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks & 73
            > > Larry
            > > WB4HLX

          • k5nwa
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
              At 08:15 AM 2/3/2008, you wrote:

              >Here is a quick and dirty method of soldering the SMT IC's:
              >Tack one of the pins (as indicated in other posts).
              >Go to the otherside of the IC and run a blob of solder across all of
              >the pins.
              >
              >73, Damon KC5CQW

              Below is a link to G7NBP's Blog where he has some videos
              demonstrating this and other soldering techniques towards the bottom
              of his article.

              < http://www.softrockradio.org/g7nbp >

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Larry W. Irwin Sr
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:

                > Do you have pictures?
                > and
                > What have you done with the non-working ones?
                >

                > Ray KI4VDJ

                I have been trying to repair them. no luck yet.

                Thanks & 73
                Larry
                WB4HLX
              • Larry W. Irwin Sr
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                  Hi,

                  Thank you all for the excellent responses to my question. I believe
                  I can build a SoftRock successfully now.

                  May all of your projects be excellent!

                  Larry
                  WB4HLX
                • R R Robson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2008
                    Larry:

                    By all means, keep me abreast of developments with your Softrocks.  I have built two and am about to finish a third.  The first - a Lite (RX) - didn't work for a bit and I left it on the shelf for a while.  Then came back to it and - after repairing a bad solder job on one of the ICs was reqarded with a working RX.  Still waiting for that flash of insight that will help me get my first RXTX to work.  I'll be posting the hopefully imminent success with my second RXTX and, once it is working, will use it as a baseline to go back to the first RXTX to see what happened there.

                    73 de robby wb5rvz

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                      Hi Larry, WB4HLX,

                      If you didn't receive my other email - I just discovered you live like 5
                      miles from me. Small world.

                      I can help you with your Softrock devices if you like.

                      73

                      Ray KI4VDJ

                      Larry W. Irwin Sr wrote:

                      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Do you have pictures?
                      > > and
                      > > What have you done with the non-working ones?
                      > >

                      > > Ray KI4VDJ
                      >
                      > I have been trying to repair them. no luck yet.
                      >
                      > Thanks & 73
                      > Larry
                      > WB4HLX

                    • Larry W. Irwin Sr
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Raymond KI4VDJ <ki4vdj@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Larry, WB4HLX,
                        >
                        > If you didn't receive my other email - I just discovered you live
                        like 5
                        > miles from me. Small world.
                        >
                        > I can help you with your Softrock devices if you like.
                        >
                        > 73
                        >
                        > Ray KI4VDJ

                        Well! How about that? In all honesty, I need all the help I can get
                        <grin>. I don't have a car so I must ask you to come here. Sorry about
                        that. I guess you know my address from qrz.com or something. Do you
                        know how to find the place?

                        You may come on any day you like, just please, please don't show up
                        before noon. Me and my housemates usually go to bed about 3 or 4 am
                        and don't get up until noon. The lady of the house gets very irate if
                        someone knocks on the door when she is asleep.

                        I also do not have an internet connection at home so it will be a
                        day or two at least before I come to a friend's house to use the net.

                        I really appreciate the offer. If you have a 2 meter fm rig, we can
                        arrange a schedule to talk since we are so close.

                        Thanks again,
                        Larry WB4HLX
                      • Larry W. Irwin Sr
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 6, 2008
                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

                          > Larry:
                          >
                          > By all means, keep me abreast of developments with your Softrocks.

                          Thanks, I will certainly post my progress here. A ham who lives only
                          five miles away contacted me and offered to help. Maybe we can give
                          some advice when we figure what is going on.

                          Thanks,
                          Larry WB4HLX