Re: [softrock40] Re: Si570 and Atmel AVR

  • k5nwa
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 26, 2008
      At 11:23 AM 1/26/2008, you wrote:
      >Check out the Free Pascal project. There is an offshoot of the project,
      >Lazarus, which aims to be a free delphi replacement. It isn't QUITE
      >there, but for the price, it is an excellent choice, if you need to do
      >something that is beyond the capability of the free Delphi products.
      >
      >I don't know if FPC supports AVR, but 1) the project is open source, so
      >you can modify it and 2) the project is open source, so they are generally
      >willing to look at ports, if those might be interesting. I would imagine
      >that this would be the sort of interesting thing that the developers would
      >be interested in supporting.
      >
      >mike

      Every PC I have has Lazarus installed, although I own Delphi
      professional I'm interested in the multiple platform aspect of
      Lazarus/FreePascal.

      I have not looked at the source to see how easy it is to port the
      code generator and optimizers to AVR/MSP430. This is the kind of
      project (compilers and language translation tools) I really enjoy,
      and have done many times in the past. I will look at it soon but
      working on someone else's code has never been my idea of fun. People
      speak of developing code "top down", or "bottom up" but I like the
      "fun first" approach

      Cecil
      K5NWA
      www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com