112.36 MHz overtone crystals for 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit

  • kb9yig
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
      Good Morning All,

      My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should get
      to me later this week.

      I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the 10m
      kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include a
      strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher board
      as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board. (Capacitor
      locations to be detailed later.) Others who did not order the overtone
      crystal but did order the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit may request the strip
      of 0.01uF SMT caps which will be sent at no cost to the kit buyer.
      Please include your mailing address with your e-mail request for the
      capacitors.

      All 112.36 MHz overtone crystal orders should be mailed on Monday,
      January 28.

      Please post your experience with the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit as soon as
      possible.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • John Brosnahan -- W0UN
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
        At 07:53 24-01-08, you wrote:
        >Good Morning All,
        >
        >My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should get
        >to me later this week.
        >
        >I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the 10m
        >kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include a
        >strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher board
        >as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board.

        Tony--

        I assume that this implies that those of us who have already built the 10/12M
        daughter oscillator board should remove the existing 0.1 caps and replace
        them with the 0.01 caps for improved stability.

        Fortunately I have a vacuum rework station, but I guess it may be possible
        with solder wick.

        --John W0UN
      • T Hoflich
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
          I am not sure how many of the 112.36 crystals you ordered. It just
          occurred to me that all we need for a Si570 on any given frequency is
          an order of 25. These would only cost a dollar or two more than a
          custom crystal and would have the flexibility of being changed later.
          All reports seem to indicate that they are as clean and stable as a
          crystal and actually smaller since they don't require all of
          oscillator parts. Considering this, the cost might even be less.
          Tony, if this is something you want to do I would be happy to work
          with you.

          73, Tom
          KM5H

          --- kb9yig <raparks@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning All,
          >
          > My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should
          > get
          > to me later this week.
          >
          > I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the
          > 10m
          > kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include
          > strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher
          > board
          > as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board. (Capacitor
          > locations to be detailed later.) Others who did not order the
          > overtone
          > crystal but did order the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit may request the
          > strip
          > of 0.01uF SMT caps which will be sent at no cost to the kit buyer.
          >
          > Please include your mailing address with your e-mail request for
          > the
          > capacitors.
          >
          > All 112.36 MHz overtone crystal orders should be mailed on Monday,
          > January 28.
          >
          > Please post your experience with the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit as soon
          > as
          > possible.
          >
          > Thanks and 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • Bill Davis Jr
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
            Sure hope this works out! We need freq flexibility beyond $20 xtals!

            Bill  K0AWU  EN37ed

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            From: km5h@...
            Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:02:40 -0800
            Subject: Re: [softrock40] 112.36 MHz overtone crystals for 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit

            --- kb9yig <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:

            > Good Morning All,
            >
            > My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should
            > get
            > to me later this week.
            >
            > I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the
            > 10m
            > kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include
            > strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher
            > board
            > as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board. (Capacitor
            > locations to be detailed later.) Others who did not order the
            > overtone
            > crystal but did order the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit may request the
            > strip
            > of 0.01uF SMT caps which will be sent at no cost to the kit buyer.
            >
            > Please include your mailing address with your e-mail request for
            > the
            > capacitors.
            >
            > All 112.36 MHz overtone crystal orders should be mailed on Monday,
            > January 28.
            >
            > Please post your experience with the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit as soon
            > as
            > possible.
            >
            > Thanks and 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • Tony Parks
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
              Hi Tom,

              The Si part continues to be very interesting!!

              I continue to think a small daughter board for a preprogrammed Si part to provide four (?) jumper selectable center frequencies would be quite nice for existing RXTX board.  Any new version of the RXTX board, I think, should have the Si part included on the board with a USB interface included for control of the center frequency, board PTT input, paddles input, and etc.

              73,
              Tony KB9YIG
              I am not sure how many of the 112.36 crystals you ordered. It just
              occurred to me that all we need for a Si570 on any given frequency is
              an order of 25. These would only cost a dollar or two more than a
              custom crystal and would have the flexibility of being changed later.
              All reports seem to indicate that they are as clean and stable as a
              crystal and actually smaller since they don't require all of
              oscillator parts. Considering this, the cost might even be less.
              Tony, if this is something you want to do I would be happy to work
              with you.

              73, Tom
              KM5H

              --- kb9yig <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:

              > Good Morning All,
              >
              > My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should
              > get
              > to me later this week.
              >
              > I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the
              > 10m
              > kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include
              > strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher
              > board
              > as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board. (Capacitor
              > locations to be detailed later.) Others who did not order the
              > overtone
              > crystal but did order the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit may request the
              > strip
              > of 0.01uF SMT caps which will be sent at no cost to the kit buyer.
              >
              > Please include your mailing address with your e-mail request for
              > the
              > capacitors.
              >
              > All 112.36 MHz overtone crystal orders should be mailed on Monday,
              > January 28.
              >
              > Please post your experience with the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit as soon
              > as
              > possible.
              >
              > Thanks and 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • T Hoflich
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                Sounds good.
                I put out a post a while back about the pre programmed part and got
                only about two interested.
                I have written software in C for the Sparkfun UBW USB board. There
                are only 4 connections( +5, ground, SDA, SCL) to WB6DHW board and it
                only costs $20. That would be the same connection for a daughter
                board. The UBW uses a 28 pin chip (18F2550)so there is lots of I/O
                for the things that you mentioned. I will post it soon.

                73, Tom
                KM5H

              • kb2xj
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                  Hi Tony/Tom

                  I hope this becomes feasable, would add to the ten rocks constructed
                  here.

                  Jim - KB2XJ

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Tom,
                  >
                  > The Si part continues to be very interesting!!
                  >
                  > I continue to think a small daughter board for a preprogrammed Si
                  part to provide four (?) jumper selectable center frequencies would
                  be quite nice for existing RXTX board. Any new version of the RXTX
                  board, I think, should have the Si part included on the board with a
                  USB interface included for control of the center frequency, board PTT
                  input, paddles input, and etc.

                  > 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • mikecol2
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                    > I have written software in C for the Sparkfun UBW USB board. There
                    > are only 4 connections( +5, ground, SDA, SCL) to WB6DHW board and it
                    > only costs $20. That would be the same connection for a daughter
                    > board. The UBW uses a 28 pin chip (18F2550)so there is lots of I/O
                    > for the things that you mentioned. I will post it soon.

                    Hey Tom,

                    That sounds great about your UBW board!! I was using the PICAXE's
                    also and just started playing with one of Sparkfun's UBW boards. I
                    ended up getting the prebuilt surface mount version using the 18F2455
                    chip. It should work similar to your board.

                    Thanks in advance for posting your C code. That will jump start my
                    progress (as did your PICAXE code you posted).

                    Thanks again and 73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                  • RAY
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008

                      Hi Guys,

                      This has gotten a little confusing – I think TONY is referring to the Si534 Quad  XO part – it would be preprogrammed at the source for 4 frequencies.  So slap me along side the head here and let us know which approach TONY is interested in (Quad XO Si 534 or Si 570 field programmable multi- frequencies).

                      My personal feeling is that the Si 534 offers a very cost effective alternative to XTALs on a per kit basis and definitely is a much simpler approach and more suitable on a per board perspective.  On the other hand the Si570 is a highly versatile frequency source and is a one does it all device for several boards but, it is a complex add-on requiring sophisticated hardware support or must be connected to a computer.  So I personally like the Si570 because I do not have a good Frequency Generator but, I prefer the Si534 for simplicity and portability on the Softrocks.   I have no idea what the costing is on the 534.

                      73, Ray, N0FY

                      I am not sure how many of the 112.36 crystals you ordered. It just
                      occurred to me that all we need for a Si570 on any given frequency is
                      an order of 25. These would only cost a dollar or two more than a
                      custom crystal and would have the flexibility of being changed later.
                      All reports seem to indicate that they are as clean and stable as a
                      crystal and actually smaller since they don't require all of
                      oscillator parts. Considering this, the cost might even be less.
                      Tony, if this is something you want to do I would be happy to work
                      with you.

                      73, Tom
                      KM5H

                      --- kb9yig <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:

                      > Good Morning All,
                      >
                      > My order for 112.36 MHz overtone crystals shipped 1/23 and should
                      > get
                      > to me later this week.
                      >
                      > I am ordering a reel of 0.01uF 1206 SMT capacitors for use with the
                      > 10m
                      > kit. As I fill the orders for the overtone crystals I will include
                      > strip of 0.01uF caps with each crystal for use on the 10m daugher
                      > board
                      > as well as at key locations on the 10m RXTXv6.2 board. (Capacitor
                      > locations to be detailed later.) Others who did not order the
                      > overtone
                      > crystal but did order the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit may request the
                      > strip
                      > of 0.01uF SMT caps which will be sent at no cost to the kit buyer.
                      >
                      > Please include your mailing address with your e-mail request for
                      > the
                      > capacitors.
                      >
                      > All 112.36 MHz overtone crystal orders should be mailed on Monday,
                      > January 28.
                      >
                      > Please post your experience with the 10m RXTXv6.2 beta kit as soon
                      > as
                      > possible.
                      >
                      > Thanks and 73,
                      > Tony KB9YIG

                    • T Hoflich
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                        --- mikecol2 <mikecol@...> wrote:

                        > > I have written software in C for the Sparkfun UBW USB board.
                        > There
                        > > are only 4 connections( +5, ground, SDA, SCL) to WB6DHW board and
                        > it
                        > > only costs $20. That would be the same connection for a daughter
                        > > board. The UBW uses a 28 pin chip (18F2550)so there is lots of
                        > I/O
                        > > for the things that you mentioned. I will post it soon.
                        >
                        > Hey Tom,
                        >
                        > That sounds great about your UBW board!! I was using the PICAXE's
                        > also and just started playing with one of Sparkfun's UBW boards. I
                        > ended up getting the prebuilt surface mount version using the
                        > 18F2455
                        > chip. It should work similar to your board.
                        >
                        > Thanks in advance for posting your C code. That will jump start my
                        > progress (as did your PICAXE code you posted).
                        >
                        > Thanks again and 73, Mike Collins KF4BQ

                        Mike,

                        I just put a couple of files under my call in the files section.
                        Si5702550A3.c and Si570 on UBW.doc which documents the above work.
                        I also have the prebuilt version and I think that it should work on
                        that also. I will give it a try soon.
                        I stored stuff in the eeprom and used the bootloader to read it back
                        during debug which was very handy.
                        Let me know if you have any question and I will update the files.
                        This was my first C program so be kind :>)

                        73, Tom, KM5H
                      • Terry
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, T Hoflich <km5h@...> wrote:

                          > --- mikecol2 <mikecol@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > > I have written software in C for the Sparkfun UBW USB board.
                          > > There
                          > > > are only 4 connections( +5, ground, SDA, SCL) to WB6DHW board
                          and
                          > > it
                          > > > only costs $20. That would be the same connection for a daughter
                          > > > board. The UBW uses a 28 pin chip (18F2550)so there is lots of
                          > > I/O
                          > > > for the things that you mentioned. I will post it soon.
                          > >
                          > > Hey Tom,
                          > >
                          > > That sounds great about your UBW board!! I was using the PICAXE's
                          > > also and just started playing with one of Sparkfun's UBW boards.
                          > > ended up getting the prebuilt surface mount version using the
                          > > 18F2455
                          > > chip. It should work similar to your board.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks in advance for posting your C code. That will jump start
                          my
                          > > progress (as did your PICAXE code you posted).
                          > >
                          > > Thanks again and 73, Mike Collins KF4BQ
                          > >
                          > Mike,
                          >
                          > I just put a couple of files under my call in the files section.
                          > Si5702550A3.c and Si570 on UBW.doc which documents the above work.
                          > I also have the prebuilt version and I think that it should work on
                          > that also. I will give it a try soon.
                          > I stored stuff in the eeprom and used the bootloader to read it
                          back
                          > during debug which was very handy.
                          > Let me know if you have any question and I will update the files.
                          > This was my first C program so be kind :>)
                          >
                          > 73, Tom, KM5H

                          Hey Tom:
                          I've been working with the UBWs, and the same PIC on the Brainerd
                          board, for a while now. Generally, I like the PIC.

                          I've added a lot of commands to Tom, W2TER's, original code. Tom had
                          the PIC controlling various DDS chips. The original code had the
                          host computer (Windows) calculate the DDS FTW (Frequency Tuning
                          Word), then pass the result to the DDS via the PIC. I now have an
                          option where the PIC also calculates the FTW, along with offsets,
                          RIT, etc. The original code still works as well. Parameters are
                          stored in PIC EEPROM, and read back during power-up.

                          The code now includes Rx & Tx offsets, RIT, Preamp control, band-pass
                          filter control, A/D support, and more. The latest adds to the code
                          (not yet released) are frequency sweeping, and "VNA-mode", where the
                          RF sweep works in conjunction with a Log amp, feeding the A/D in the
                          PIC chip. While not a true VNA (at this point), it can be used to
                          sweep filters, etc. The PIC moves the DDS, then triggers an A/D
                          sample of the log amp output, which is sent to the host computer.
                          Then it repeats.

                          I've also just added (not yet released) PIC Rocky-RS232 emulation
                          that can take PIC pins for Tx Out and paddle inputs and simulate an
                          RS232 port SoftRock interface. This enables someone to use the PIC
                          board and control the SoftRock hardware WITHOUT using a real RS232
                          port. One must use a virtual-COM port package to make the proper
                          virtual serial port connections.

                          For example, if you run Rocky but do not have an RS232 port, this
                          will solve that problem, which is becoming very common. What you do
                          is create two virtual com ports (using Phil Covington's VCOM for
                          example), say COM6 & COM16, then tie them together. In Rocky, you
                          would select COM16 as the transmit COM control port. In the DDS
                          Controller group's Windows software, you would select the virtual COM
                          port 6 as the transmit COM port. Once the transmit enables are set
                          up, an Tx command from Rocky wil be routed through the VFO Controller
                          program to the PIC, which interprets the command to turn on the PIC
                          Tx out pin. That pin connects to the SoftRock Tx line.

                          For the paddle inputs, the PIC monitors two PIC input pins at 100usec
                          rate. If one or both go active (low), the PIC debounces the pin(s),
                          and then sends a USB response to the Windows VFO Controller program
                          showing which pins are active. That program converts the USB info to
                          changes on the virtual Tx RS232 control pins (DSR & CTS). Those
                          signals go through the virtual COM ports back to Rocky. Rocky then
                          uses those signals for it's iambic keyer.

                          The above code is working with Rocky, and should also work with
                          PowerSDR. It is only in my shack right now, but should be available
                          to the DDS controller group shortly.

                          I am waiting for my Si570's to come in, as I would like to add it to
                          the PIC control package. I am part of the lost 300 order.

                          I'm not in any real rush, as I've used the time to get the RS232 port
                          stuff working. But, I think this contribution would help those hams
                          that do not have RS232 ports to control SoftRocks.

                          BTW, this code is being developed primarily for the Brainerd
                          PIC/DDS/QSD board, but I use the larger Spark-Fun UBW (kit version)
                          as my test bed, along with a DDS-60. So, the software can currently
                          run on a Brainerd board or a (larger) UBW. The code now exceeds the
                          program space in the smaller UBW. The code currently supports
                          AD9850, AD9851, AD9854, AD995x, AD9832, AD9833, AD9834, AD9835, and
                          probably AD9858 DDS chips. As soon as David Brainerd finished up his
                          AD9912 DDS board, we will add code to drive it as well. So, adding
                          the SI570 is not a big deal.

                          The software has been available to all. Once I get the new stuff
                          reliable, I will release both source and object code. For both the
                          Windows and PIC code. I'm also working on documenting how a program
                          commands the PIC to get it to do stuff. A friend is integrating part
                          of the commands into Edson's sdr-shell program for Linux as well.

                          Sorry for the long email, but I wanted you (and the softrockers) to
                          know about what is coming....

                          Terry
                          WB4JFI
                        • Terry
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <wb4jfi@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            the
                            > program space in the smaller UBW. The code currently supports
                            > AD9850, AD9851, AD9854, AD995x, AD9832, AD9833, AD9834, AD9835, and
                            > probably AD9858 DDS chips. As soon as David Brainerd finished up
                            his
                            > AD9912 DDS board, we will add code to drive it as well. So, adding
                            > the SI570 is not a big deal.
                            >
                            > The software has been available to all. Once I get the new stuff
                            > reliable, I will release both source and object code. For both the
                            > Windows and PIC code. I'm also working on documenting how a
                            program
                            > commands the PIC to get it to do stuff. A friend is integrating
                            part
                            > of the commands into Edson's sdr-shell program for Linux as well.
                            >
                            > Sorry for the long email, but I wanted you (and the softrockers) to

                            BTW, I use the free version of Microchip's C18 C compiler for the
                            18F2550 family. Some optimization disappears after 90 days, but it
                            seems to work fine other than that. They have a full USB library for
                            it as well (I don't think it's interrupt driven). In VNA mode, I
                            only get about 300 5-byte USB responses per second, so it's a little
                            slow. I'm working on streamlining that as I can.
                            Terry
                          • Ulf Jonsson
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 24, 2008
                              What I wish for is a modular Softrock where the parts that are non
                              specific for the band like the audio amps, clock, quadrature gen,
                              computer interface etc is on one board and the band specific parts sits
                              on a separate module. Either as a plug in board that wold allow for
                              quick band switching or even better but probably harder, a way to
                              gradually build up a multi band unit with solid state switching between
                              the bands..

                              It seems like on the receiver part of the module would only need 5 pins,
                              and on the TX side it looks like one could live with 7 or less R17,19
                              20, S12v RFC1, C24 and the antenna.

                              If we had a edge connector on the module one could build small plug-ins.
                              Maybe not the most elegant solution to have the output amp in the module
                              but it really simplifies the interface.Maybe this is really hard to do
                              for the higher bands but it would be neat...

                              An other wish is SMT components where practical. Since they are used for
                              the IC's and caps we can as well use them more extensively.

                              I would be glad to help if there is something I could do to support you.
                              I have used Express PCB for other boards.

                              Ulf

                              Tony Parks wrote:
                              > Any new version of the RXTX board, I think, should have the Si part
                              > included on the board with a USB interface included for control of the
                              > center frequency, board PTT input, paddles input, and etc.

                            • Bill Dumke
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 25, 2008
                                Tony,

                                One thing a lot of us would like to see is also at least space on any
                                new RXTX board for an optional RF isolation transformer to get rid of
                                the antenna ground loop. One transformer could easily be broadband
                                enough to cover all the major hf ham bands.

                                Bill wa9pwr

                              • Tony Parks
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                  Hi Tom,

                                  I am wondering if a useful implementation of the Si part would be a "jump drive" VFO that would plug into a USB port?  The device would be powered from the USB port, receive frequency setting commands from the USB connection, and output a transformer coupled RF clock signal for use with external equipment such as SoftRock boards.

                                  73,
                                  Tony KB9YIG

                                • mstangelo@comcast.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                    Tom,

                                    I second Tony's suggestion. I've been using my Si570  with my Softrock kits and the ability to easily change the LO frequency adds another dimension to this SDR receiver. I use external preselectors and dan receive a great part of the HF or LF spectrum with the appropriate input transformer.

                                    I plan on replacing the crystals on my Sortrock receivers with the Si570.

                                    73,
                                    Mike N2MS

                                    From: "Tony Parks" <raparks@...>
                                    Hi Tom,

                                    I am wondering if a useful implementation of the Si part would be a "jump drive" VFO that would plug into a USB port?  The device would be powered from the USB port, receive frequency setting commands from the USB connection, and output a transformer coupled RF clock signal for use with external equipment such as SoftRock boards.

                                    73,
                                    Tony KB9YIG
                                    I put out a post a while back about the pre programmed part and got
                                    only about two interested.
                                    I have written software in C for the Sparkfun UBW USB board. There
                                    are only 4 connections( +5, ground, SDA, SCL) to WB6DHW board and it
                                    only costs $20. That would be the same connection for a daughter
                                    board. The UBW uses a 28 pin chip (18F2550)so there is lots of I/O
                                    for the things that you mentioned. I will post it soon.

                                    73, Tom
                                    KM5H

                                    --- Tony Parks <raparks@ctcisp. com> wrote:

                                    > Hi Tom,
                                    >
                                    > The Si part continues to be very interesting! !
                                    >
                                    > I continue to think a small daughter board for a preprogrammed Si
                                    > part to provide four (?) jumper selectable center frequencies would
                                    > be quite nice for existing RXTX board. Any new version of the RXTX
                                    > board, I think, should have the Si part included on the board with
                                    > a USB in terface included for control of the center frequency, board
                                    > PTT input, paddles input, and etc.

                                    _,_.___

                                  • w2ter_73
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                      Tony

                                      Although you addressed this question to a different Tom, we have
                                      quite a bit of experience with USB driven VFO's in the dds_controller
                                      group

                                      A USB powered and controlled Si570 VFO is a very good idea. We have
                                      used the PIC18f2250 to driven a wide variety of DDS devices and I and
                                      at least one other member of our group are working on the code to add
                                      the si570 to the list.

                                      One area to keep in mind when developing a USB device is the mode of
                                      operation. The PIC device we use operates in CDC mode which emulates
                                      an RS232 serial connection. This is very valuable since it allows you
                                      to drive the device from any program that talks to a serial port on
                                      the PC - even a serial communications program like Hyperterminal.
                                      Many of the simple USB chips operate in HID mode which is intended to
                                      drive mice and is not well supported in programming tools

                                      Based on my early experience with the Si570, I'd also suggest
                                      provision for a small battery backup. That way the VFO could be
                                      disconnected from the PC and still retain it frequesncy.

                                      We'll be publishing code the PIC and PC in the near future

                                      tom,w2ter

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Tom,
                                      >
                                      > I am wondering if a useful implementation of the Si part would be
                                      a "jump drive" VFO that would plug into a USB port? The device would
                                      be powered from the USB port, receive frequency setting commands from
                                      the USB connection, and output a transformer coupled RF clock signal
                                      for use with external equipment such as SoftRock boards.

                                      > 73,
                                      > Tony KB9YIG
                                    • Terry
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                        Using a combination of the Brainerd Si570 and a UBW, the below is
                                        easy. I already run a UBW with a DDS-60 (or other DDS boards) via
                                        USB power. The issue is the buffer amp level coming out (since only
                                        5V is available), which is where a transformer might help.

                                        I have also run the Brainerd PIC/DDS board from USB power. The MMIC
                                        amp doesn't work very well (ends up being bypassed), and the QSD
                                        won't work unless you change/bypass the 8V regulator.

                                        You can use the PIC EEPROM to set the frequency upon power-up, along
                                        with other parameters.

                                        The DDS controller group has code to do a lot of this... for both the
                                        PIC and Windows side.

                                        Terry
                                        WB4JFI

                                      • T Hoflich
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                          I agree also. If you look at the file section under my call, I have
                                          put a new program (Si5702550a3.c) which runs on the Sparkfun UBW
                                          which is $19.95 complete. It is powered by the USB port and connects
                                          to the WB6dhw board with a 4 pin header. It would be very easy to
                                          have this program communicate with the PC over the USB as Tony
                                          suggests. In fact Terry WB4JFIhas already commited to do just that
                                          as soon as he gets his Si570 (he will have it this time next week).

                                          This board has lots of other I/O which could be used for keyer, PTT,
                                          whatever and the UBW software already exists. We have lots of skill
                                          in the group who can do Visual Basic on the PC to control it.
                                          I also like Tony's suggestion of making this general purpose. It
                                          could be a signal generator. Local oscillator for a simple 6 or 2
                                          meter converter. WX satellite converter?

                                          Take a look at < http://greta.dhs.org/UBW/index.html >

                                          This is way too much fun.

                                          73, Tom KM5H

                                        • T Hoflich
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                            I guess we were typing at the same time.

                                            73, Tom KM5H

                                          • T Hoflich
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                              Looks like we are "on a roll".
                                              It is a good point that those intimidated with all this programming
                                              can use hyperterminal to control the Si570.
                                              I have been thinking about your last point. The chip draws about 90
                                              ma which can be taxing on a battery (short life). But, I am thinking
                                              that if the chip is disabled (a pin is available for this) the
                                              current draw will be very small and I am guessing that the current
                                              program registers will stay and be available when disable is removed.
                                              I will try to verify that next week.

                                              73, Tom KM5H

                                              --- w2ter_73 <trowley@...> wrote:

                                              > Tony
                                              >
                                              > Although you addressed this question to a different Tom, we have
                                              > quite a bit of experience with USB driven VFO's in the
                                              > dds_controller
                                              > group
                                              >
                                              > A USB powered and controlled Si570 VFO is a very good idea. We have
                                              >
                                              > used the PIC18f2250 to driven a wide variety of DDS devices and I
                                              > and
                                              > at least one other member of our group are working on the code to
                                              > add
                                              > the si570 to the list.
                                              >
                                              > One area to keep in mind when developing a USB device is the mode
                                              > of
                                              > operation. The PIC device we use operates in CDC mode which
                                              > emulates
                                              > an RS232 serial connection. This is very valuable since it allows
                                              > you
                                              > to drive the device from any program that talks to a serial port on
                                              >
                                              > the PC - even a serial communications program like Hyperterminal.
                                              > Many of the simple USB chips operate in HID mode which is intended
                                              > drive mice and is not well supported in programming tools
                                              >
                                              > Based on my early experience with the Si570, I'd also suggest
                                              > provision for a small battery backup. That way the VFO could be
                                              > disconnected from the PC and still retain it frequesncy.
                                              >
                                              > We'll be publishing code the PIC and PC in the near future
                                              >
                                              > tom,w2ter
                                              >
                                              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <raparks@...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi Tom,
                                              > >
                                              > > I am wondering if a useful implementation of the Si part would be
                                              >
                                              > a "jump drive" VFO that would plug into a USB port? The device
                                              > would
                                              > be powered from the USB port, receive frequency setting commands
                                              > from
                                              > the USB connection, and output a transformer coupled RF clock
                                              > signal
                                              > for use with external equipment such as SoftRock boards.
                                              > >
                                              > > 73,
                                              > > Tony KB9YIG

                                            • k5nwa
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 26, 2008
                                                At 05:11 AM 1/26/2008, you wrote:

                                                Hi Tom,

                                                I am wondering if a useful implementation of the Si part would be a "jump drive" VFO that would plug into a USB port?  The device would be powered from the USB port, receive frequency setting commands from the USB connection, and output a transformer coupled RF clock signal for use with external equipment such as SoftRock boards.

                                                73,
                                                Tony KB9YIG

                                                Tom Hoflich was working on a version that uses TI 's CPU's available on a USB unit, they are small and inexpensive. I believe he has set the project on temporary hold until he becomes more familiar with C.

                                                I'm working or a totally different project, the goal is "no PC" at all, it will have a couple of buttons and a set of LED's to indicate what programmed frequency one is on. I'm hopping to have it working this week. The way the code is going I will have room for hundred's of frequencies in a very inexpensive part (< $2)

                                                They sure can't accuse this group of sitting back, there are so many projects and ideas floating around, this is going to be a fun year.

                                                Cecil
                                                K5NWA
                                                www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com