Delta 44 Interface board

  • BobKerr45@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
      Hi...i am interested in obtaining the Delta 44 interface board and saw where I needed to contact Tony ??
      Please provide me with the necessary information to contact him.

      Thank you,

      Bob
      WA8OFU

    • Bill Dumke
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
        Here it is:

        Tony Parks <raparks@...>

        Bill wa9pwr

        BobKerr45@... wrote:
        Hi...i am interested in obtaining the Delta 44 interface board and saw where I needed to contact Tony ??
        Please provide me with the necessary information to contact him.

        Thank you,

        Bob
        WA8OFU

      • Tony Parks
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
          Hi Bob,

          The Delta 44 interface module kit is in stock at a price of $11 for US/Canada and $12 for DX mailing.  Each price includes mailing costs.

          Also in stock is the Rocky 3.x serial interface module kit at $5 for US or DX.

          PayPal to raparks"at"ctcisp.com, (replace "at" with @), to get a kit on order.

          Thanks and 73,
          Tony KB9YIG

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
            On Jan 20, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Tony Parks wrote:

            > Hi Bob,
            >
            > The Delta 44 interface module kit is in stock at a price of $11 for
            > US/Canada and $12 for DX mailing. Each price includes mailing costs.
            >
            > Also in stock is the Rocky 3.x serial interface module kit at $5 for
            > US or DX.
            >
            > PayPal to raparks"at"ctcisp.com, (replace "at" with @), to get a kit
            > on order.

            I think it might be worthwhile to add a, "here is a combination that
            is guaranteed to work," how-to on the SoftrockRadio.org website. It
            would be good to have three reference installations; one for Windows,
            Linux, and MacOS; that people could replicate with a high probability
            of getting it working. When you plug your SoftRock in for the first
            time and it doesn't work, it can be a challenge when you aren't sure
            whether the problem lies with the Softrock or your computer
            installation. Knowing a combination of computer hardware and software
            that is guaranteed to work is a huge step forward as then you can
            focus on any problems in building your Softrock. After you get your
            Softrock going you can then experiment with other soundcards and
            software knowing that any problems you then have are in the
            integration over on the computer side of things.

            --

            73 de Brian, WB6RQN
            Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
              At 01:45 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

              >I think it might be worthwhile to add a, "here is a combination that
              >is guaranteed to work," how-to on the SoftrockRadio.org website. It
              >would be good to have three reference installations; one for Windows,
              >Linux, and MacOS; that people could replicate with a high probability
              >of getting it working.
              >
              >73 de Brian, WB6RQN
              >Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com

              Any volunteers to provide the information or part of it?

              Even if you don't want to publish the article yourself, send it to me
              and I'll clean it up and post it for you. That pretty much applies to
              anything you think might be helpful to someone. I you are more
              adventuresome I can provide a blank page so you can go at it, just ask.

              I will also open up the wiki up to volunteers, you can add
              information at your own pace, again just ask.

              Thanks

              Cecil
              K5NWA
              www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com

            • Brian Lloyd
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                On Jan 20, 2008, at 12:48 PM, k5nwa wrote:

                > At 01:45 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:
                >
                > >I think it might be worthwhile to add a, "here is a combination that
                > >is guaranteed to work," how-to on the SoftrockRadio.org website. It
                > >would be good to have three reference installations; one for Windows,
                > >Linux, and MacOS; that people could replicate with a high probability
                > >of getting it working.
                > >
                > >73 de Brian, WB6RQN
                > >Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
                > >

                > Any volunteers to provide the information or part of it?

                I will but I work with Macintosh. I suspect that most hams are using
                Windows so a reference setup would probably be Windows XP and the
                Delta-44 soundcard. We also need one with an external USB-connected
                sound-card like the M-Audio Audiophile USB. Does anyone have a setup
                like this running and if so, would you make the information available?

                > Even if you don't want to publish the article yourself, send it to me
                > and I'll clean it up and post it for you. That pretty much applies to
                > anything you think might be helpful to someone. I you are more
                > adventuresome I can provide a blank page so you can go at it, just
                > ask.
                >
                > I will also open up the wiki up to volunteers, you can add
                > information at your own pace, again just ask.

                Please add me. Thanks.

                --

                73 de Brian, WB6RQN
                Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com
              • Joe Munson
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                  Hi Tony,

                  I put together the SoftRock 40 Lite V 6.2 and somehow installed the FST 3253 quad detector chip backwards.  The SoftRock 80 went together so smoothly, I guess I got over confident.   Anyway, I need another FST 3253 Quad Detector Chip.  I also want to order the Delta 44 interface board and the Rocky 3.X serial interface module kit.  This total would be 16 dollars for the above.  Let me know how much to ad for the needed chip.

                  Thanks Tony,

                  Joe Munson, WA4VAG
                  12873 Pennington Rd.
                  Walton, Ky 41094
                   513-919-1210
                • Joe Munson

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                      At 03:16 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

                      I will but I work with Macintosh. I suspect that most hams are using
                      Windows so a reference setup would probably be Windows XP and the
                      Delta-44 soundcard. We also need one with an external USB-connected
                      sound-card like the M-Audio Audiophile USB. Does anyone have a setup
                      like this running and if so, would you make the information available?

                      > I will also open up the wiki up to volunteers, you can add
                      > information at your own pace, again just ask.

                      Please add me. Thanks.

                      MacIntosh people need help also, they are out there all alone, so a description of your setup, software, etc would be helpful to them. So feel free to add information on that topic.

                      I need to know some information, see the note below.

                      General notes;

                      In order to make it easier for people to contribute I will setup a page on the main page called "For Publication" if someone makes a comment on that page, I will free to move it to where it would make sense. It could be something as simple as a full copy of an email that you think is useful. It could be a note on something you tried and helped you. It could be about anything such as building, repairing, using a SoftRock or any other SDR type radio.

                      If you want a whole page that will be your special place to keep notes and relate experiences or if you want to contribute to a wiki, let me know here or in a private email and provide for me a couple of items;

                      1. your login name to the web site
                      2. what are you interested in using to publish, a page, wiki edit, or both.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                        Cecil,

                        If you want to use the two text files I just posted for the Rocky 3.32 and Delta 44 setups with Windows XP, please feel free to do so.  Here is the link:

                        Bill wa9pwr

                        k5nwa wrote:
                        At 01:45 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

[...]

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto:softrock40-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:softrock40-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • John Melton
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                          There is some info (along with source code) on setting up my Java GUI on
                          both a Mac and Linux system on https://java-sdr.dev.java.net (still
                          needs some refinement, but several are successfully running it). Also
                          may be worth checking my blog on http://javaguifordttsp.blogspot.com/

                          regards,

                          --- John g0orx/n6lyt

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                            At 04:33 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

                            Cecil,

                            If you want to use the two text files I just posted for the Rocky 3.32 and Delta 44 setups with Windows XP, please feel free to do so.  Here is the link:

                            Bill wa9pwr

                            k5nwa wrote:

                            There is a setup page now with one article, guess who's?

                            http://www.softrockradio.org/setup  >

                            Thanks

                            All offers welcomed, how do you have your radio hooked up, and what are your setting?

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 20, 2008
                              At 04:49 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:

                              There is some info (along with source code) on setting up my Java GUI on
                              both a Mac and Linux system on https://java-sdr.dev.java.net (still
                              needs some refinement, but several are successfully running it). Also
                              may be worth checking my blog on http://javaguifordttsp.blogspot.com/

                              regards,

                              --- John g0orx/n6lyt

                              Thanks John, two down about a dozen more to go.

                              Cecil
                              K5NWA
                              www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com

                            • Tore.Sandstrom
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                Hello!
                                I am a newcomer on SDR and softrock so wunder what that Delta 44 interface
                                module make? Another thing.... the Si570 part..it is a kind crystal
                                divider/VFO that you use instead for the x-tal?. Ar there any pictures and
                                descriptions of both?
                                Regards
                                Tore Sandstrom SM7CBS

                                > The Delta 44 interface module kit is in stock at a price of $11 for
                                > US/Canada and $12 for DX mailing. Each price includes mailing costs.
                                >
                                > Also in stock is the Rocky 3.x serial interface module kit at $5 for US
                                > or DX.
                                >
                                > PayPal to raparks"at"ctcisp.com, (replace "at" with @), to get a kit on
                                > order.
                                >
                                > Thanks and 73,
                                > Tony KB9YIG

                              • Tore.Sandstrom
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                  Hello again.
                                  My soundcard is a Creative Sound Blaster Extreme-Fi. Does it work with
                                  softrocks modules?
                                  Tore Sandtrom SM7CBS

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                      Hi,
                                      Where may I find general Infos about all the things/kits you're writing on this Forum?
                                      I often read some , like Delta44, SoftRock, Si570 , etc etc; some I do know , but sometime I  am not be able to find specs of that, like what they are, what they do, how they are, and so on. I am new to digital radio approach and so I am vy much basic, I know what is a DDS , and know some component number; but not all, hi, so I really need help for some cryptic-like message: you see, you know what you're writing about; me, not yet, sorrily....
                                      I thank you very much for your attention to my low tech profile in Digital Radio, and send you all, Gurus or not, my 73
                                      Augusto HB9TZA / I2JJR
                                      (Approaching & newcomer to DigiRadio and SDR)

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                        Hi Tore,

                                        The Delta 44 interface module replaces the cable and breakout box that normally comes with the Delta 44 soundcard.  The module plugs into the 15-pin D connector on the Delta 44 soundcard and provides four 3.5 mm jacks for each stereo I / O channel.  Also the module provides some RF filtering on each of the I /O lines.

                                        The Si570 is an stable and low jitter oscillator chip  that has great flexibility in setting the output frequency.  The Si570 may be used along with a small circuit board as the means of setting the center frequency on a SoftRock receiver or transceiver.

                                        73,
                                        Tony KB9YIG

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                            Hi Alan, thank you .
                                            Oh yes, I'm beginning to learn, I've decided to do that the day that I have joined the list, of course.
                                            A bit at a time, I begin to understand.
                                            But if you ever do a list for advanced, who will ever learn?
                                            Once I was a beginner with tubes, then I went beginner with transistors, then with ICs, and so on .
                                            As I was at the really beginning - a kid - what was needed to build a radio was quite large metal working tools to build chassis, and 80w solder iron; you had to know how arrange a transformer, how to saw a variable condenser to fit it to your needs, and so on.
                                            Nowaday you need deep mathematics knowledges (complex numbers , transforms, etc ) and good programming languages skill, and understanding of mathematical equivalence of complex electronics building blocks..... and a micro soldering tool with binocular microscopes..
                                            I'm aged but still deeply interested into our hobby.
                                            Pse go on, and if somebody like me asks for help, ok, give it please.
                                            I thank all for their replies, Tony was first.
                                            73 de Augusto I2JJR / HB9TZA

                                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/softrock40 /

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                              On Jan 21, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Alan wrote:

> [...]

                                              The balanced input feature is a huge win for eliminating ground loops.

                                              --

                                              Brian Lloyd Granite Bay Montessori
                                              brian AT gbmontessori DOT com 9330 Sierra College Blvd.

                                              I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . .
                                              — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

                                              PGP key ID: 12095C52A32A1B6C
                                              PGP key fingerprint: 3B1D BA11 4913 3254 B6E0 CC09 1209 5C52 A32A 1B6C

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                                At 12:11 PM 1/21/2008, you wrote:

                                                >On Jan 21, 2008, at 2:34 AM, Alan wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > This is for the M-Audio Delta 44soundcard. It replaces the large
                                                > > breakout
                                                > > box and has some RFI components inside. It uses the small sterio
                                                > > plugs but
                                                > > this it prevents the use of the balanced input feature of the D44.
                                                > >

                                                >The balanced input feature is a huge win for eliminating ground loops.
                                                >
                                                >--

                                                And which SoftRocks have balanced outputs?

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 21, 2008
                                                    On Jan 21, 2008, at 11:24 AM, k5nwa wrote:

                                                    > >The balanced input feature is a huge win for eliminating ground
                                                    > loops.
                                                    > >
                                                    > >--
                                                    >
                                                    > And which SoftRocks have balanced outputs?

                                                    It doesn't matter. Any output may be used to drive a differential
                                                    (balanced) input. Use one side of the balanced input to the ground pad
                                                    next to the signal source and the other side to signal, i.e. the I or
                                                    Q output. That means that your audio input is referencing the input
                                                    signal to the ground point at the board where either the I or Q comes
                                                    off the board, not to chassis ground. Your grounds are then used
                                                    strictly for shielding.

                                                    This is normally how one deals with very small signal voltages in the
                                                    presence of substantial ground currents. This is how one senses
                                                    thermocouples that may themselves be grounded. The cost is that you
                                                    need two inputs or a single differential input. This increases the
                                                    cost of your analog input so sometimes people cut corners and make a
                                                    single-ended input. But if you have already paid for a differential
                                                    input, use it as such even if you are using it to sense a single-ended
                                                    output.

                                                    Analogy: ever used remote-sensing on a power supply to deal with
                                                    voltage drop in the power feed wiring? You are doing precisely the
                                                    same thing here. The differential input is your "sense" line.

                                                    So, if you have a sound card that has balanced (differential inputs),
                                                    ground goes to chassis, the inverting input goes to the ground signal
                                                    pad, and the non-inverting input goes to signal output on the Softrock
                                                    board.