Re: Winrad 1.30

  • Len Warner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      At 8:44 pm ((PST)) Mon Dec 31, 2007, in Digest 2085 w7qjq wrote:
      >[snip] My cpu loading on this
      >older XP machine dropped from about 70% to about 50%.
      >But better... on my older Toshiba laptop which would immediately hit
      >100% and crash with v1.25, now runs v1.3 at 80%.

      Please make these percentages more useful by
      telling us of what cpu speed each is a fraction.

      Otherwise, they are unrelated comparatives like
      "Sudso washes whiter" or trying to convince
      the judge you weren't speeding by quoting the
      tachometer reading - there's an important part
      of the calculation missing.

      I'm keen to know these things because I have a
      number of old computers and I would like to be
      able to estimate which may still be of some use
      for SDR. Some of them are Toshiba laptops,
      perhaps even older than yours, but since you
      haven't revealed your model I cannot be sure.

      Cpu clock speed would largely resolve this.

      Does anyone know of a comparative chart of
      minimum processing requirement for the various
      SDR packages? I know it has been touched on
      in previous posts and that usually a package
      gives some hint in its documentation but has it
      been tabulated systematically for all?

      Regards, LenW
    • w7qjq
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Len Warner <novost@...> wrote:

        > At 8:44 pm ((PST)) Mon Dec 31, 2007, in Digest 2085 w7qjq wrote:
        > >[snip] My cpu loading on this
        > >older XP machine dropped from about 70% to about 50%.
        > >But better... on my older Toshiba laptop which would immediately
        hit
        > >100% and crash with v1.25, now runs v1.3 at 80%.
        >
        > Please make these percentages more useful by
        > telling us of what cpu speed each is a fraction.

        > Regards, LenW

        Older desktop:
        generic, 2 GHz AMD x86 Family 6 Model 8
        512 MB RAM, XP Pro, Audigy SE

        Laptop:
        Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000, 1.1 GHz Intel x86 Family 6 Model 11
        512 MB RAM, XP Pro, Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA

        Percentages from Windows Task Manager, Performance.
        Percentage values wander around on both machines...the above values
        are best-case numbers.

        73, Sid W7QJQ
        Oklahoma
      • arnoldwo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
          Hello Alberto ,
          the new version cuts down the load on my DEll Latitude D810 Labtop  (1.86 GHZ, 1 Gbyte Ram ,soundcard E-MU1616 , xp prof) ) to 43..52 %.

          I use the software maily to record the signals of the spacecrafts.
          It would be nice to have some timemarks on the waterfalldisplay for long term recording if used is the slowest mode.

          best regards
          Wolfgang ,Dj3qd